1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optoma RD 5 delivery

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by big ric, Nov 18, 2004.

1. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    As anybody been contacted by there dealer to say that the RD 50 will be delivered tomorrow and installed by third party as i was this morning, as far as i know my dealer had orders for 8 RD50s but he only got 2
    Big Ric

2. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am also awaiting delivery for this tv but while dusting round the back of my Sony dvp-ns905 dvd player noticed theres no component video outputs!Arrrgggh.
    According to my Sony strdb-795 av amp i should route these through the amp to my tv.
    The question is can i go scart rgb to the Optoma without too much loss in picture quality and if i coaxial the 5.1 sound from the dvd player through the amp will there be any sound sync probs!
    Do i have to spend another x amount of quids and upgrade my dvd player YET again?

Cheers

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    There is little theoretical difference between RGB and YUV picture quality. In some cases the YUV output of a player is not as good as it's RGB output! So unless you are specifically unhappy with your picture/sound from the 905 and want to buy a better player I would stick with what you got for now.

Sync probs are inherent in the video processing of any digital display. No matter how you wire it (unless via a delay box) there will be some delay. Not much (plasmas seem the worst) and usually not noticeable, but the more you look for it the more chance you'll find it!!! Sky is worse, several channels are hugely out of sync (noticeable even on a smallish CRT) so even with an audio delay device you will not be able to achieve perfect lip sync.

4. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes,

We are getting our demo RD50 on Friday :)

I think everyone will be a little short of this thing for a while judging by interest generated from the shows it has been at

5. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm getting impatient waiting for mine now which isnt like me usually hehe,I've jsut finished decorating the room upstairs its going into though so you cant blame me for being a tad impatient :D
    Guess I should ring up and see if theres any news or expected date sometime soon.

Wij

6. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Got my phone call today from third party installers telling me it is coming tomorrow afternoon as anybody else got there rd50 yet and what do you think of it and (cant wait) :clap:
    Big ric

7. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ric...where did you order your rd50 from?...HifiBitz? And how long ago.I haven't heard anything yet...let us know what you think when its installed!
    Cheers

8. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yup ive ordered from hifi as well not heard from them in a while now :(

update

wooooo its been dispatched so should get it tomorrow or day after

im all exvited!

9. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i ordered it from audiovision i'm not sure about when i ordered i think it was about 3weeks ago as far as i know they are making it up the country i live in Grt Yarmouth roll on tomorrow
    Big Ric

10. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bah thats not fair I ordered from there and no word at all yet, still "awaiting stock" on the site :D

Do a post when you got it setup,give us your opinion on it (you lucky lucky man).

Wij

11. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well im not an expert ive not even got a stand for it hehe but i wil tell you what i think of it :)

hopefully my HD cables for my xbox and my comp for my GC arrive soon :D woot now all i need left to buy is a sound system and a dvd player.....

RAWR!!

12. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the dvd player....got about 1.5k of new surround equipment.Sold my 36" flatscreen and now got it all hooked up to the temporary portable tv!
    Don't laugh...but we're getting used it!
    Wheres my RD50 !!!!

13. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know of any dealer in the U.K that ships the Optoma RD50 to Sweden?

14. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    bah i had to email optoma about the delivery details looks like i might not even get it until friday now :(

GRrrr unless they work late as i just replied to the email boo hoo im one unhappy chappy

15. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i've got my rd50 at last it came about 5.30 tonight first thing the so called installers were couriers with a couple of hours been shown how to install it second thing the power lead that came with it had a two pin plug on it instead of the three pin we use in UK thats why they were late getting to me they had to stop of and get three pin leads i've left the best to last it's should have a cd and a manual to help set it up it had none still i'm lucky compared to the first person they did'nt have a power lead with them and had to go back there on the way home after all that i did not have much time to play with it first impression it is very quiet no fan noise the picture is a big improvement on my old sony rear pro i have not yet had a chance to even play a dvd yet. Optoma told me tonight that they would get amanual out to me soon im not the only one this as happened to the guy at optoma said
    Big Ric

16. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hiya mate
    hope you are enjoying your new telly :) anyways if you get time try watching emmadale or coronation street with your optoma and tell me if you get like a digitalization on some scenes (have had this on both dlp tellies i have had)..............and if you have a digital camera are you able to show off your optoma with a photo as one of my biggest concerns was the way the telly looked am now curious to see what it looks like

17. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi,

Don't forget that ITV broadcast at the lowest bitrate that they think they can get away with on Sky Digital. Definitely the worst of the mainstream channels for PQ in my opinion.

Steve

18. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes i have noticed that ITV is crap and by far the worst.................the best being the disney channel and sky one good also as well as sky news.

19. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i have not watched any soaps on it yet but will do tomorrow i have been busy setting up the optoma using the avia disc so far i've only watched simpsons on sky 1 as i have sky plus my son waits to it as finished then rewinds it again compared to my old sony crt rear pro it is light years ahead it still no fan noise after being on for quite few hours it's so much brighter than my sony that i dont have to dim the lights to watch it, just switched it over to sky sports to watch the football i must say no problems that i can see at the moment i think it looks the dogs nuts :thumbsup:
    Big Ric :

20. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ric...congrats on your new tv.Can you tell us whether its possible to shrink the picture down in size for the news etc... or do you have to watch everything in 50" widescreen or 4:3.
    Cheers
    Martin

21. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Martin, you seem quite keen on this idea of shrinking the picture down, but it's not exactly a feature that most owners are going to be looking for!

If you're really keen for this, then you could activate the second location facility and set it for letterbox mode. Sending a remote command through the Sky-Link sensor in the 2nd room would make the picture change to letterbox on you main set. Bit long-winded though.

22. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need Powerstrip to shrink the picture and feed it thru your PC.

Powerstrip is like a dream, everything can be done with that software when it comes to resolutions.

23. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Marts00 the only picture formats available are4x3 full mode which i think is 16x9 subtitle which moves the picture up then you have a wide mode that must be for 2.35:1 movies the last one is zoom which does what it says i should be get the time soon to watch a dvd to see how good it really is also i have just brought a new denon 2805 so tonight will be my first time with 6.1 sound :D
    big Ric

24. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw the Sagem Axium 50" today and the picture is incredible, the dark areas of the picture were almost like true CRT-class, the definition and fine details very nice indeed.

However it lacks HDCP on the DVI-input, that is very negative, otherwise i would have bought the Sagem Axium right away.

25. marts00

marts00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the axium recently in comet and thought the hd display incredible.I have ordered an Optoma rd50 version of this tv as i prefered the dark tv case but would be interested to know of any noticeable technical differences and in real terms what the hd capability of either set will mean ie. available film/tv media....will i have to wait for sky hi-definition tv 2006 etc..?
    Cheers

26. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The RD50 uses HD2+ instead of HD2 DLP chip, so much more impressive black levels and black detail (and I mean quite a bit better over the Axium) as well as improvements to colour accuracy, and has HDCP on the DVI socket.

27. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    im so annoyed!!! i have yet to receive my RD 50!!! i had a confirmation that my RD50 was dispatched on monday and interlink would contact me the next working day.. its friday and i have yet to BLOODY HeAR from them! ive given them my work number my mobile number so they better get in touch!!!!

its not hifibitz fault in fact a nice lady called zoe has been lovely :smoke: its those bloody people at optoma and their delivery men!! GRRRRR

well zoe told me that i'll be receiving a call from them anytime between now and tuesday!!!!FKING TUESDAY?!?!?! i mean its my two days off fking work!!! :mad:

thumbs up to Hifibitz for being very helpful and MEGA thumbs down with optoma and their INTERLINK!!! :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

28. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Doesn't sound quite right somewhere, are you not having the free unpacking and tuning service? (I can't bring myself to call it an installation when you are charged extra to have the stand assembled, and also charged extra if you want your SKy box and DVD plugged into it!!!)

With the RD customers we have BXT (or is it BTX, either way hadn't thought it was Interlink) contact the customers sometime after they have collected the unit from Optoma, they then arrange directly with the customers a delivery day so you do only need to be off work one day which is arranged in advance. However they are taking their sweet time, plenty of our first batch customers haven't been contacted yet but I suppose they do have a helluva lot of RPTVs to install around the country!!! H57s are being delivered quicker...

29. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i didnt order the stand with my RD50, just the RD50 itself... im just curious what exactly will they be doing thats so special?? are they going to hand make my RD50 in front of my eyes?from scratch like the A-Team?

Do you think they will deliver on saturdays? because i have a feeling its gonna be another week before i get my RD50 and when i mean WEEK i mean next friday!

30. HiFiBitZ

HiFiBitZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our RD50 has now arrived and available for dems (Blackburn), we've currently got a UVEM HCPC hooked up to it and HDTV via an HD1 satellite system.

Looks stunning.