1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma oriented DVD selection

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rimibar, May 18, 2003.

1. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I am relatively new to this subject, so please forgive me if I appear ignorant!

I am purchasing an Optoma H50 Cinema, and will be connecting it to a Pioneer VSX-AX10i. I have a VERY limited budget to purchase a suitable DVD player - about £170.

So far I have been recommended the Toshiba SD550 and a Panasonic DVD S75. These both have component out and progressive scan.

Which of these (or other) should I be looking at?

Many thanks,

Richard

2. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your computer has a DVD player and movie software you might be better off using your computer in the mean time until you can afford a more expensive DVD player. You might have to upgrade your sound card, but you should be able to pick one up (perhaps second had) with SPDIF out which will be able to decode soundtracks for within your budget

3. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your response Taimur. I refuse to believe that my PC can offer a better picture than a dedicated DVD player.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hmmm. A well setup HCPC will blow most DVD players out of the water due to their ability to not only 'play' the DVD but also to process the image to match the resolution of your display device.

Taimur is absolutely correct. However, use of a PC as a DVD player requires a fair bit of set up and perseverence as yuou will not get the same plug and play nature of a DVD player - but it will give a superior image under the right conditions. Take a look at the HCPC forum.

5. morphius

morphius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi rimibar
    I would recommend the tosh.Only because I have a optoma H50 connected via the component lead to a toshiba SD900e.running progressive scan the picture is brilliant!Braveheart on region 1 looks the business.
    :cool:

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I can confirm that HTPC is indeed the best quality you can get with the right coomponents - a Radeon graphics card and 5.1 capable soundcard will do it, provided you have a 950Duron or faster processor.

I have used various software players, but at the moment I find that PowerDVD 4 gives the best picture for me.

A standalone player will output 720 x 576, whereas a PC will scale the image to 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768, which are projectors native display panels. PCs can scale better than most projectors, so you will end up with no scanlines or stair stepped edges etc.

An HTPC can cost as little as £250 to build, or even less than that if you have one that needs a few components.

A PC also outputs a pure progressive image into the projector, and not an interlaced one, so that's another advantage.

HTH

Gary.

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My HTPC is only a 600MHz P3 and it does the job fine - no stuttering or dropped frames in any of the latest software players (I find WinDVD Platinum to be the best, PQ wise, though PowerDVD 4 is good too). Granted, it isn't exactly a 3D gaming beast, and I would hate to try playing a WMV9 video on it (my Athlon 1.3Ghz can't even manage it...:suicide: ) but it does DVDs just fine and is damn near silent.

Oh, and the PQ is stunning. You can find comparisons between HTPCs and standalone DVD players on the web if you hunt a bit. I remember a good one by a French guy, using a number of different projectors, that really showed up the differences.

Cheers,

Dunc