Optoma or Sapphire Pull Up Screen (and short throw projectors)

steve33shoreham

Hi all

I have a BenQ W1080ST+ Short-throw Projector and I’m looking for a 90-100 inch pull up projector screen as I haven’t got the room for a dedicated fixed screen.

I have seen 3 reasonably priced ones (although I have ruled out the Luxburg for quality issues) and wanted to see if any Avforum members have had any of these particular screens, or the brand themselves and can advise please? (or have something similar they would recommend please?

Optoma DP1095MWL 95" Diagonal 16:10 Pull Up Projector Screen

Sapphire 92” SFL200WSFP 2m portable pull up screen in 16:9

I was about to pull the trigger on the Optoma but saw the Sapphire as an alternative, but also noted that on the Sapphire website that

This screen is not compatible with Ultra/Short-throw Projectors. Even the very best triple laminated fibreglass fabric has undulations that will be exaggerated when the light is vertically pointed down onto the fabric. Tab Tensioned or Fixed Frame Screens are recommended for ultra/short throw applications”

Are they saying I’m going to experience lots of ripples and undulations as I have a short throw projector and the picture will be terrible?

Or is this just caveat to protect themselves as short throw PJ’s show the imperfections more on pull up screens as they are not as taught as tab tension or fixed screens?

I’ve been using a cheap eBay tripod 120” screen for the past couple of years and apart from the fact it has a slight crease in it the picture quality was fine.

Thanks, Steve

kayti

I used an 80" 16:9 Optoma screen (that looks identical to the one in your link) successfully for over 5 years before I had room for something larger. The biggest issue with it is that it's very hard to get it flat and vertical across the width and height of the screen, so we could never make the projected image completely fill it. To be honest, though, it's not something you'd notice unless everything else about the room is also perfect.

You won't notice the waves in the screen when projecting directly onto it, but you may notice them if you have a light source to the extreme side or top of the screen, so that's something to bear in mind if you're planning to watch with ambient light present.

steve33shoreham

Thanks Kayti, much appreciated.

Like i said, i'm currently using a cheap screen and that's been fine but i was just concerned Sapphire advise against these screens with short throw projectors.

cottonpickers

I have the same projector and a pull up panoview 92inch. It’s the one with the single pole that is in the middle. I like it a lot. At one point I bought a 100 inch scissor design like the second link and I wasn’t happy. Big heavy base. Wasn’t so firm in fixing the height and some edge curl. It also didn’t seem any bigger than my 92 inch so I sold it on and kept the design with the single vertical pole in the middle rather than scissor. It’s quick to set up. Nearly Half the weight and size of the Scissor type and pq is fine. I would think no good for ultra short pj but imo fine for short throw.

steve33shoreham

I have the same projector and a pull up panoview 92inch. It’s the one with the single pole that is in the middle. I like it a lot. At one point I bought a 100 inch scissor design like the second link and I wasn’t happy. Big heavy base. Wasn’t so firm in fixing the height and some edge curl. It also didn’t seem any bigger than my 92 inch so I sold it on and kept the design with the single vertical pole in the middle rather than scissor. It’s quick to set up. Nearly Half the weight and size of the Scissor type and pq is fine. I would think no good for ultra short pj but imo fine for short throw.

Thanks for your reply and very interesting what you have to say about the scissor lift vs the adjustable pole.

I thought the scissor lift would be the better model and a bit more sophisticated than using a separate adjustable pole but possibly not then? Less adjustability and heavier?

Does the scissor design have to be extended fully or is it height adjustable too?

I see Sapphire also do a pole version too:

cottonpickers

It was a while ago but if I recall correct the scissor design will stop where you want but it’s not a ‘positive’ stop. You wander if it will slip back down. The pole design has 5 or 6 specific click points that are obvious. If you are pulling it out regularly (once every couple weeks for me) and storing behind the sofa then the weight and size of scissor design makes it a no. Perhaps try to see one of each design if you can or buy from somewhere you can return. I really want a bigger screen but wouldn’t swap due to size and weight and general design

steve33shoreham

Mine would be stored upstairs so being lightweight is a plus.

What winds me up about the current one is that it's cumbersome and in two parts, the screen and the gangly tripod stand. Trying to get a straight and level picture on what i believe is a flat/level floor is virtually impossible, and the left hand side of the screen drops about an inch lower than the right too. (Plus there is a crease on the right hand edge of the screen which bends the picture slightly and annoys me :D)

This is why i looked at these pull up screens, thinking they would be quicker and easier to set up, and a more stable than one swinging fro a tripod.

Dropping from 120" to 95" is a concern, especially as the TV in the room is a 55" anyway. But like you said there isn't a bigger option for these pull up screens.

steve33shoreham

Bitten the bullet and bought the Optoma from Richer Sounds who have price matched to £222, which is a ridiculous price i found on Amazon / Bax Music Shop (who have sketchy reviews online which made me nervous to buy from them).

Thanks chaps for your input :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom