1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma HS50 or Sharp XVZ90

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyGB, Mar 18, 2003.

1. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm going to get a demo of the HS50 at my local Sevenoaks this coming Sunday alongside the Sanyo PLVZ1.

Speaking to the guy there this afternoon he suggested I might also be interested in the Sharp XVZ90. They wouldn't be able to show me one of those but he said that it was quite a lot better than the HS50 for not much more money.

Does anyone have any experiance of the two projectors who could confirm if this is true or not as if I did plump for the DLP (based on not being able to see and colour flashes) I would be tempted to go for the Sharp if what he has said is true.

Added this second question as an afterthought. The projector will be used for TV watching as well as films so the ambient light level wont be that low, so as the Optoma has a much higher lumens rating than the Sharp (1300 against 600) would that be more of a bonus for us than the Sharps much higher contrast ratio (1200:1 / 800:1) ?

Thanks for your help.

2. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Andy I have just brought the sharp XVZ90 e that I demoed at severnoaks in severnoaks Kent And if you were to see it yourself I think that you will be well impresed with what you see also take note of how quite it is I paid £1711.00 for mine this is a new price .

Good luck

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    One thing to note is that the Sanyo Z1 has 16:9 panels whilst I believe that the DLP models you mention are 4:3 which could detract from big wide screen viewing.

I assume that this would be similar to watching a DVD on a 4:3 tv would it not??

CB.

4. Tibbsy

Tibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

I've also been looking into DLP projectors and got a demo of the Sharp at Sevonoaks. What I would say is that it was offered to me at Sevonoaks for £2,300, whilst I've seen it on the Net for around £1,700 (inc. VAT). If your budgeting for the £2,000 mark I'd check out Optoma's (Themescene) H55, because the H56 is being brought out this month the H55 should drop in price and the spec on the H55 is much better than the Sharp and the H50 (review http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_1/optoma-h55-projector-1-2003.html). If you want to spend up to £3,000 I'd check out the H56 or NEC's HT1000 which both have great contrast levels.

Hope this helps. Regards, Tibbsy