Optoma HD91+

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djnickm, Jun 22, 2015.

1. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +419
      Up until last Friday I was using a JVC X30 PJ. I was hoping to move to the Epson laser but decided not to go for first gen laser tech without true native 4K at the £6k price point.

I was perfectly happy with the x30 but due to my viewing habits, in the last year I eat thru 4 bulbs at £300 a pop. So wanted to look for a pj that has a solid state light source.

My dealer Andy Bone of Premier AV had recently had Optoma bring up their latest offering to his room. Now his room is equipped with a £20k Highlite projector. So he knows a good picture and when he said his jaw was on the floor from the quality of the Optoma and the fact it's half the cost of the Epson, well he had my interest. The HD91+ is an LED based unit and comes with a 20000 hours or 5 year warranty on the light engine. So I decided to give the PJ a whirl. Placed my order and asked for it to be delivered last Friday before midday. Which Optoma kindly obliged.

Now, I'm all about audio really, so this review will not be long winded and full of tech details. I'm colour blind but do know and appreciate a good picture.

First impressions of the HD91+ was that it's built very well. Nice and sturdy but also very very small. Weighing in at 7KG. This made mounting the PJ on the universal ceiling bracket a doddle and without assistance.

Setup was very simple. Focus, zoom and lense shift are all manual. Which is fine as it saves money and once done won't need to be adjusted.

The menu system is very simple to navigate.

The PJ out of the box does indeed need some tweaking. But after 5 mins I had the image looking as good as I'm going to get it without calibration.

The image is incredibly detailed. Razor sharp and no rainbow effects or digital artefacts. It's black levels are no where near as good as the JVC but the jvc can be a little over dark at times. Losing detail that I can now see.

The image has gone from a very cinema like picture to that of like a good plasma or LCD flat panel. Even with my lighting turned up to the max the image remains bright and full of pop.

Now I do have to say that the image needs calibration. I cannot get skin tones natural. All seems a little overly red saturated. But from reviews of the HD91 I'm very optimistic that once I get Ricky J of Kalibrate down to work his magic, the image will be very impressive indeed.

And I'll comment on post calibration once completed. And the best thing about this PJ is that once calibrated, that is it for the next 20000 hours. Whereas with the lamp based PJs you really should calibrate every 200-300 hours.

Now a couple of negative points....

The PJ clearly has a slow processor. I'd like to have spent a little more money and gotten a fast processor. This seems to cause lag when using the Dynamic Black options. Most lamp based Pjs use dynamic iris to control black levels. The HD91+ uses lamp dimming which can be a little slow to respond. Sometimes taking half to a whole second to dim down which can be somewhat distracting. Especially when watching something like Hannibal. The image constantly going from dim to bright. So I have decided to opt for no dynamic black and live with slightly washed out blacks. Again this may not have been so noticeable should I have come from a non JVC PJ.

Another negative and one that really erks me is the PJS audible noise levels. It's noisier than the JVC x30, but not by much. But what's really annoying to me, in my very low noise floor room is that the sound is not consistent. It fluctuates. And on scenes of very bright output there is a very high pitched whine coming from the PJ. I don't know if this is from the DLP chip, led or fan. But doesn't sound like fan as it sounds more electrical fizzy type noise.

But these negs are very minor really. The image quality, detail and depth are just outstanding. And the fact it works well in a high brightness environment is a big plus. The JVC in a bright room was unwatchable.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    2. supahyp

supahyp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +185
      Great review . I was really interested when i read about the first hd91 , but my interest cooled when i learnt it probably wouldn't have the lumens to light up my 134 inch screen . If this + version has more I would seriously be interested .

3. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +419
      Oh yes, the 91 I think has 1000 as compared to 1500 on the +.

I'm not sure how big Andys screen is at Premier AV but I know it's big and he was the one that sold this to me. Literally and figuratively.

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
      Ratings:
      +726
      I'll second the brightness of the Hd91+ as it was one of areas where the old 91 suffered. It's much brighter than the old model with us being able to turn its brightness down to 70% on a 2.5m wide screen. At this point it still had enough punch in it to create a good level of contrast.

I would loved to have seen the same conviction with black detail, however you cannot have your cake and eat it when your dealing with a brand new technology such as this. That ones being saved for the HD91^2 I'm guessing.

All in all though, its a fantastic effort and considering this is only the second generation of Optoma's LED technology, its a mighty step forward with its brightness.

LED Light output seen by our eyes.

HD91 True lumens 1000l our eyes see 1500l
      HD91+ True lumens 1500l, our eyes see 2250l

Regards, Shane.