Optoma HD83 Owners Thread

biguglydog

Established Member
Reaction score
Seeing as there isn't a dedicated Thread, here it is :thumbsup:

As I seen a question earlier, for me anyway, no crosstalk and no RBE

Previously had the 200X Model which I loved. But I must say, this is much better in 2D. Brighter coulours, better blacks, sharper picture :smashin:

3D is fantastic, glad I waited so long and held off getting a 3DTV. Not watched too much yet, although what I have seen I'm very impressed with.

So just initial thought's here to get a Thread going, hopefully pick up some good tips/settings along the way :thumbsup:

Good to see a thread started here. The specs and projector looks very promising and I am sure for 3D it is a clear winner. DLP, high brightness and the RF specs are all very attractive.

Seeing as there isn't a dedicated Thread, here it is :thumbsup:

As I seen a question earlier, for me anyway, no crosstalk and no RBE

Previously had the 200X Model which I loved. But I must say, this is much better in 2D. Brighter coulours, better blacks, sharper picture :smashin:

3D is fantastic, glad I waited so long and held off getting a 3DTV. Not watched too much yet, although what I have seen I'm very impressed with.

So just initial thought's here to get a Thread going, hopefully pick up some good tips/settings along the way :thumbsup:

Have you seen it against the hd33? How does it compare?

Last edited:
After much searching and thinking about 2D performance too. Also speaking to someone that had seen a side by side comparison, I plumped for the HD83 and I wasn't disappointed :)

I know there are reviews here but there wasn't an owners Thread. Really, really pleased with the Projector.
As we (In general I mean) still watch most things in 2D though, I feel it's important that it performs well here.
It's also very quiet, in fact I can't hear it in either Mode, i'm probably less that a metre in front of it.

Will try and keep my eye on the Thread (Busy with xmas :D )

So few pics from SW1, i love picture from it :))))
rszp1010759.jpg

rszp1010726.jpg

rszp1010782.jpg

Seen them on the other Thread skalmen, look fantastic :)

Will have to take some on mine too, when I get chance that is, damn that shopping :laugh: Who wants to go shopping when there's 3D Projectors to play with :thumbsup:

Owners of the HD83, I was wondering if ye can get into the service menu and check the numbers for the iris. Full step, 1/4 step and 1/10 step. With the HD82 the buttons to access the service menu is power off, left, left, up. Dunno if it's the same for the HD83. Thx!

Hi, I'v got one of these and love it. Just trashed it trying to apply the C04 update to fix the LBX 3D crosstalk though so it's going back to Optoma next week.

Ballistix999 said:
Hi, I'v got one of these and love it. Just trashed it trying to apply the C04 update to fix the LBX 3D crosstalk though so it's going back to Optoma next week.

Hi how did u manage to trash it and where did u get c04 update from plz

Stunning 3d picture but I get lip sync problems on sky hd and off Hardrive when I engage pure motion

Last edited:
Same on the hd33 I have turned of pure motion for 2d and left it on for 3d

No problems with blu ray on pure motion as it lip syncs 100% perfect

I have emailed optoma but no reply yet

As a former vw60 owner yourself, how does the hd83 compare to the sony in 2d. Ordered a hd 33 to be used alongside my sony but would consider a one box solution. Thanks

Sony is still stunning 2D. Possibly a bit better than the Optoma but I had to make a compromise for the 3D. The 3D was superb on the HD83, until I trashed it with the patch from Optoma. It came via the channel from Optoma. I hope they can fix it in early Jan and get it back to me.

Quite impressed with the VW30 that Ricky has leant me but it's not anamorphic capable but it's very bright. Slightly more crosstalk too than the HD83.

Cheers
T

Sony is still stunning 2D. Possibly a bit better than the Optoma but I had to make a compromise for the 3D. The 3D was superb on the HD83, until I trashed it with the patch from Optoma. It came via the channel from Optoma. I hope they can fix it in early Jan and get it back to me.

Quite impressed with the VW30 that Ricky has leant me but it's not anamorphic capable but it's very bright. Slightly more crosstalk too than the HD83.

Cheers
T

thanks, the route i was considering was the hd33 for 3d (apparently slightly better than the 83 due to it being brighter) but the 83 better 2d. so would you advise to keep my sony and get the 3 for 3d if the sony is better? i guess i was looking for a one box solution but maybe a step backwards for 2d? how much better was the sony and in what way?

Hm...honestly...probably too close to notice. It's still pretty good for 2D. The Sony was a much more expensive machine so it's a compromise. Not a big one though in my opinion. If you can afford it AND hook up two at once then I guess that's a nice solution.

So what size and type of screens are you guys using with the HD83?

I am stuck between getting the HD83 and the 64" SAmsung PLasma - they cost the same... but I have a 92" frame screen on storage...

114 inch anamorphic custom built screen from Carada Canada. 1.4 gain. Works a treat. :)

T

Great - I am having some worried about my screen which I purchased in 2004 for CRT projector.

It is Da-Lite Cinema Vision 92" ISF certified 1.3 gain white. Fixed frame.

I wonder how much it will "ruin" the black levels having a white higher gain screen. - And if it will be too bring at this size.

- on the other hand - a 3D projection screen thread on AVS rates this screen material very high for 3D...

Discussion - Screens for 3D Projection - AVS Forum

- how far can you step down the aperture of the HD83 lens????

Owners of the HD83, I was wondering if ye can get into the service menu and check the numbers for the iris. Full step, 1/4 step and 1/10 step. With the HD82 the buttons to access the service menu is power off, left, left, up. Dunno if it's the same for the HD83. Thx!

Greetings to all,
access sequence is the same for the 83, and factory numbers were 17 for full step, 78 for 1/4 step and 84 for 1/10 step.

Izaak said:
Greetings to all,
access sequence is the same for the 83, and factory numbers were 17 for full step, 78 for 1/4 step and 84 for 1/10 step.

Exact same as the HD82 so. I hv dynamic black off now. Tbh, maybe it's my light colored walls and ceiling, I don't notice that much of a difference.

Hi all, an update. The HD83 c04 update fixed the LBX crosstalk issue in 3D. Thank god. Optoma turned it around within 3 days for me. But I DID have to send it back to them in the end.

All good. Now just need Ricky to confirm that they didn't wipe the settings in doing it. I'm hopeful because I see ISF Day and ISF Night under 2D image, picture mode under Cinema and the others...here's hoping!

T

Hi all, an update. The HD83 c04 update fixed the LBX crosstalk issue in 3D. Thank god. Optoma turned it around within 3 days for me. But I DID have to send it back to them in the end.

All good. Now just need Ricky to confirm that they didn't wipe the settings in doing it. I'm hopeful because I see ISF Day and ISF Night under 2D image, picture mode under Cinema and the others...here's hoping!

Hi has the c04 update stopped the lip sync issuie on sky hd and hard drive playback when you have cinema black and puremotion enabled together and what about the hdmi handshake time takes forever and the film is already playing and my sky hd box says this is not a hdcp device ?

I'm using picture adjustments of my Oppo 93 to improve dark detail and above white separation - and with great results, too. Just for the heck of it, I'd like to get it right for my Toshiba HD DVD player also. Brightness and contrast or RGB bias and gain in the Optoma won't do it, and there's nothing in the Tosh either, so it pretty much boils down to Optoma SM (or engineer menu).

Anyone got any idea if it's possible, and where, in the SM to sort of lift up the dark end and lower down the bright end for the Optoma HDMI connection?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom