Optoma HD82 vs Epson TW3200?

Raine

Established Member
Reaction score
After much deliberation, to me if I'm gonna continue my quest for a pj... it's down to these two. I know it's a bit unfair to pit these guys against each other esp in regards to price difference and I know the image quality in the HD82 will be better than the Epson. Some of these question, again I know, can only be answered by myself, like if it's worth it etc., but was wondering on yer input. What started as "I'm going to buy a cheapish pj for big screen" has escalated a bit. :rolleyes:

My room isn't gonna be HT oriented, it has white ish walls and ceiling. Heck I'm not gonna even buy a screen yet :D. Movies will be watched in the dark. Projector lens distance is going to be about 3.1m, so maximum image size of the HD82 will be around 93 inch and the Epson 100 inch (not sure I even want that big with my seating distance). Being this is my first lamp based pj, will there be that great of a difference between the two in these conditions? Would spending on the HD82 be an overkill? And I would be perfectly happy with the Epson? For me spending this amount I wouldn't have the thought of upgrading in 2-4yrs and have indefinitely like my Kuro plasma (still rocks to this day! :smashin:)

And another thing with the HD82, can it be put on a high shelf without having the unit upside down? And how flexible is the placement?

One min I think it's the Epson, saying that I'll save the cash and be perfectly happy with it and the HD82 is an overkill. Then the next I think, since I'm going to have it for a long time I might as well splash out on the extra :D. The running cost, after the purchase, should be cheaper in general with the HD82, due to cheaper bulbs (lamp life taken into consideration).

Any thoughts and info are much welcomed and appreciated. And what would you do? :smashin:

Last edited:
Having seen both in a forum members living room a few months back (his HD82 and my TW3200) I would take the HD82 every time.

The HD82 was sharper had much better colours and the blacks were better,the much higher contrast levels on the HD82 gave the image that more pop.To be fair the HD82 was a near £3k projector when it was originally launched so you would expect it to be better wouldn't you.

Now for the bad news,the HD82 does have some horizontal lens shift but vertical is restricted so that you could not use it on a shelf or stand unless the projectors lens is a few inches (approx 8" IIRC) below the bottom of your screen.So in other words a pretty low shelf. Alternatively a ceiling mount or inverted on a wall mount or high shelf would be the other option.Remember though this is a pretty large pj so any shelf will need to be pretty big.

You can use it on a higher stand, in fact i-raz the HD82's owner had it on such a stand (approx 40" high I think) but that means you will either end up with a trapezoid shape screen or keystone will need to be applied.

Like I said it is a large pj at least 50% larger than the TW3200 which is a large pj itself.Having said that it would work in my room even on a 40" high plinth mount as my screen is very high so it would not be a problem for me.

So to sum up a HD82 over the TW3200 for me any day,not saying the 3200 is a bad pj it is still a great pj and great value for money it's just that the HD82 is in another league.

Thx again for the prompt reply kbfern! :smashin:

With the points you made, esp...

"vertical is restricted"
"at least 50% larger than the TW3200" :eek:

has swung me in favour of the Epson. As much as I like a good screen but I think that's really too too big for my bedroom purpose. And to try and position it properly, with the lack of good vertical shift and bulk, would be a nightmare in my situation. Well my decision is made easier now. For my situation and around this budget, I thinking now that the Epson is pretty much a clear winner. Thanks again! :smashin:

Last edited:
Just o confirm those dimensions

HD82 w= 19.3" h=7.6" d=14.6"
TW3200 w=17.7" h= 5.3" d=14.2"

So not half as big again as I first said but none the less it is bigger.

Looking at the HD82 and those numbers, the big problem with the HD82 for me is that it's longer than it's wide. While the Epson is the opposite. That in itself poses a big problem for me. Now if it was the other way round, I might be able to put it upside down on a shelf. :D

I have big cupboards in my room. I'll have the pj in it and when in use I'll have the doors open, plenty of open space for ventilation. But with the HD82... I won't be able to shut the door it's so big. :eek:

Last edited:
The HD82 is wider than it's long, the depth of the two pj's is roughly the same.In fact the HD82 is slightly better in the length dept as it has an overhang so that the cables coming out the back need less room to connect.

The HD82 is slightly wider but it in it's height where the HD82 dwarfs the TW3200 and also the HD82 would be difficult to flip over as it is quite curved on the top where the TW3200 is much flatter but would not need flipping over anyway as it has a good vertical lens shift..

Hmm, getting confused now. Ok if I look at the TW3200 the lens face seems to be the longest. While looking at the HD82, it's seems the opposite, the lens face seems to be the shorter length.

Where am I going wrong? Which one is right? This is going from all pics I've seen. :confused:

Last edited:
Sorry Raine where i checked my dimensions from for the HD82 was wrong I have just checked the HD82 manual and the overall length of the HD82 is 19.6" and width 14.6" so that is going to be no good for you.

Sorry for the confusssion.

Np m8! :)

You know I'm still tempted by the HD82 and trying to figure a way to make it work. :D

Last edited:
Update: If I put it on a low shelf of the cupboard, 6" from the ground, I can get a image (with zoom) of 89" diagonal. The distance the pj from the wall is about 2.93m. But parked onto the wall ( where the image is to be projected) I have a table, comes out 25 inches and height 28 inches. How do I know for sure if the image can clear the table or my bed which comes out a bit more but lower? And with the HD82, can I butt the back onto the back of the cupboard? Cuz it seems to have the connections inner a bit at the bottom.

This might be dodgy cuz I would like to know the amount of horizontal shift it can do as well. At my distance can it shift a whole image? If you know or can tell me where to find out it'll be great. :smashin:

Last edited:
You can certainly push the 82 right to the back of the cupboard because the back panels overhang and also because there are no vents on the back of the case.

Don't know if the light beam from the lens will miss that table though,do you mean the table is under the screen if so should be ok.What height will the bottom of the screen be.

Here's a link to the manual around page 16 for installation adjustments.

http://www.optoma.co.uk/uploads/manuals/HD82-M-en.pdf

Yeah the table will be underneath the screen, distance of table surface coming out from the wall is 25 inches and height 28 inches. Height of the screen can be anything upwards of 28 inches. But if the beam is to clear the table I would say give another few inches at least.

I like what I hear about this pj. Seems like smth I can keep for awhile. But with all these obstacles etc. gonna have to see if it's worth the while tbh. :smashin: The Epson, while inferior in image, seems the more simple and tidier solution.

Last edited:
kbfern need your help again! :D

First, do most people use this pj on eco mode to watch movies and stuff? Is eco mode bright enuf for watching in the dark with image of about 100+ inch? Or do most people hv it in bright mode. If eco mode is too dark for this then just forget about everything below. :)

Maybe yesterday a bit tired but now miraculously the pj fits in the cupboard with about 0.4 inch to spare. :smashin: I'm gonna place it upside down on the shelf and if need, use blue tack or whatever to get it positioned ok (I heard about this before). Do you think this is ok?

I've done some measurements and to me it seems with the help of vertical shift the image would be right. So to be easier with understanding I would make it like I'm projecting with pj on a low shelf on the ground. I hope I read the manual right. Here goes...

Lens is going to be 295 inches from wall
Centre of lens is going to be 14.8 inches from the ground (reality from ceiling).
Manual says I'll hv an offset of 0.34m = 13.4 inches
Manual says I'll have a screen height (with max zoom) of 1.12m = 44.1 inches

Top of screen I want it no more than 65 inches from ground. But all this adds up to 72.3 inches to top of screen, 7.3 inches too high.
But with vertical shift I can shift, manual says, 30% of screen height. So 30% of 44.1 = 13.23
So with that amount of vertical shift I can meet my target of 65 inches from ground to top of screen yeah?

If I do buy this I hope I don't get this image thing fudged up and only realize it when it arrives . :eek:

Many thanks if you understand and hopefully it's pretty accurate... :smashin:

Last edited:
It must be the time of day that has made you confused:D the image from the projector is upwards from the lens so flipping it over will project the image down from the lens.The lens shift is only available in an upward direction so if flipped over will only add to the amount of downward direction of the image.

Therefore it does not need flipping over just place in the normal position on a shelf (6" above ground I think you said).

Before we work out if the image will hit the screen at the correct height can we check the throw.Your first post says you will have a 3.1 mtr throw giving a 93-100" screen but your last post says 295" throw which will give a huge screen.Should the 295 be 2.95mtrs?(it was late so maybe you were confused this time).:)

Oops! Yeah 2.95 meters. :D

My measures above hv been written as if I hv the pj in low shelf. It's gonna be upside down on the high shelfnow. So when I say height from ground, it's actually the pj flipped over and I'm measuring the base of the pj to the ceiling. :) But will having the pj upside down work?

And do people usually hv this pj on Eco mode? Thx!

Last edited:
Do you know how high the (high) shelf is off the floor.

Eco will be best and should be bright enough at night,during daytime you may need to put into brighter mode but that depends on how dark the room is during daylight hours.

It will work upside down but as the projectors upper surface is far from flat (it is quite curved) it will take a bit of support to get it level (and keep it level).

The shelf is 2.21m from the ground.

As for keeping the pj level. Maybe a book or two and a bit of patience? :)

Last edited:
Owners of the HD82, does it indeed hv 30% the height of the screen vertical drop shift like it says in the manual? If it does I should be clear and ok. :D Thx!

Congrats kbfern! You've just sold another HD82! :D Many thx for all the info and help!

Now fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly after I receive it! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom