Question Optoma HD82 just stopped working!

Esplugas75

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an Optoma HD82 projector which shut down about 5 minutes after starting up. There's a trigger to the screen which stayed down. The sound still played through the amplifier - the picture also goes through the amp - I checked different sources and they all came up blank.
The screen went black and a solid orange light appeared on the side panel. I checked the manual which suggested a lamp fail (a bit strange as there's supposed to be a warning before it fails)
I changed the lamp with a genuine Optoma bulb and it still won't work. I've turned off the power, unplugged the projector from the mains and still nothing. It powers up, the blue light comes on, the fan whirs and then shuts off then the orange light comes on.
Does anyone have any suggestions as i'm scratching my head a bit?

Is it possible you have one of the other fans not working? I know my PJ has like 4 fans, and if one gets obstructed it goes on for a few minutes then shuts back off... Possibly a similar situation with yours?

when your old bulb failed, did it do so catastrophically or silently? Mind exploded (literally, glass shards everywhere in the PJ) and stopped a fan with debris..

That sounds expensive! Not what you need when you're watching a film is it? J
I've spoken to Optoma who've suggested I let them have a look but they think it might be something to do with the bulb power supply. As soon as they let me know i'll update this post.
Hopefully it's something small and nothing too serious!!

It was what it was. Had a power failure in what was the middle of the show. (whole house). Bulb was hot, and then no air movement = boom, dead bulb. 170 USD later I was back up and running. It would turn on, then back off about 2 minutes later later.. It never over heated enough to rupture, but I'm sure it shortened my life span on that bulb. I ended up pulling the whole PJ apart and finding the offending chunk of glass in an intake fan. Benq was awesome and said send it in and we'll clean it out for ya, its probably a stuck fan. I said, I think I can manage that. I was JUST outside my warranty... so they were really cool about it.

So the latest is that the main board and the power board have both failed! I'm waiting for Optoma to come back to me with a quote as the projector is with them at the moment. I've not had more than 400 hours of use out of the thing which is frustrating. Granted, it is out of warranty and almost 5 years old but i'm surprised that such a major component has failed after such a short time and for two to go at once is a little surprising. I would add that the service people at Optoma have been very helpful so far and have reassured me that it can be fixed but I wait to see at what cost. :(

The verdict from Optoma is that the formatter board had failed!
£268.00 for the board plus labour at £80 plus VAT. :( I've asked for some feedback as to what may have caused such a major component to fail. Has anyone got any suggestions?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom