Optoma HD720X - sky digi > RF OUT > projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dax trajero, Jan 12, 2008.

1. dax trajero

dax trajero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying to go from standard def TV picture from my Sky Digi and get it into my projector.

So far I have:

Sky box: RF OUT
    VCR's RF IN > SCART
    Projector's S-VIDEO input

in other words I'm using a cable with SCART at one end and S-VIDEO at the other. The projector searches for the image, finds it for a second and confirms its PAL (albeit in black and white), then after a second shows a blank screen titled "searching for source"

Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

I know the incoming RF signal is fine as I've tested it with my TV. I know the VCR is fine, as I've tested that with my TV

So that leaves me wondering if its the projector or the recently bought SCART > S-VIDEO cable ?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,394
    S-Video uses two wires for the video signal, chrominance (colour) and luminance (B&W). The wire in the scart that is used for the luminance is the same as the one a composite signal is sent down, so if you've got the output set to composite and the display set to receive s-video, you'll only get a B&W image. VCRs tend to only have a composite output unles it's an s-video recorder so that's probably why you're only get black and white. That doesn't explain why you only get it for a moment though.

Check to make sure the output from the source is set the same as the input on the projector. If you're still having problems it could be the cable.

You'll be better off taking an RGB signal from the Sky box straight into the projector if possible as you'll get a better picture.

Gary