Optoma HD70 Light Leakage Issue...

amalarul

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I have had my HD70 for 3 1/2 months now and I never noticed this before until two days ago. The bulbs only 30 odd hours old so I don't think thats the problem. Anyway some sort of light leakage suddenly popped out of no where and yep its coming right through the lens along with the image. It is to the right of the image and it is a constant light which doesn't dim or brighten while switching between picture modes.

The two attached images show where the yellowish (reddish on the pix because of the over exposure and poor camera) light leakage is. It is right next to the blue no signal screen, yep its that yellow/red line on the right. It is not a reflection from any object or not from any outside light source but from the pj itself. The images have been over exposed and meddled with a bit to show the anomaly hence the drop in clarity.

So guys got any clues because I'm all out of ideas.:suicide:

Attachments

• DSCN1955.JPG
    DSCN1955.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN1956.JPG
    DSCN1956.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 487
My first impression is that it's some light bouncing around within the pj and by-passing the optical path somehow then exiting via the lens. Quite unusual. I take it you can place your hand in front of the lens to the right and cause a shadow in the leak?

I wonder if any other HD70 owners are getting this. If not, it's probably a fault - perhaps a light baffle has broken or moved/fallen off inside. I'm tempted to suggest you shake it and see if anything rattles, but that's probably not a good idea. :)

See what others have to say, but it might be an Optoma warranty repair.

Gary

Very odd,not seeing this problem with mine.

I would check he lense shift of your pj. You shoud get it as centered as possible. If its at an extreem position then perhaps this could cause light leakage aroung the lense.

I take it you can place your hand in front of the lens to the right and cause a shadow in the leak?

Yeah Gary I can actually cause a shadow in the leak just as you are describing it and can sort of cover the leak so it doesn't appear anymore but where's the point in that right? I did want to shake it around a bit as well :D. lol. Anyway I didn't hear anything moving or rattling inside while I was setting it up yesterday just before I took the pictures.

Ok 008 can you tell me where the lens shift is because I'm confused and I thought the HD70 didn't have any lens shift.:rolleyes:

There isn't any lens shift on this projector.

Ok guys I tried the PJ now as well and it's still the same. lol, not like I was expecting it to correct itself magically.ha ha. Anyway since I have to send it in for repairs what do you guys suggest I do becuase I bought it only on the 1st of Jan. and I got a 3 year warranty along with 1 year accidently damage warranty.

Ok here's where it gets a bit complicating, I bought the PJ from Dubai but I live in Doha (not far from Dubai). So if I'm to claim the warranty from the store I will have to courier it to Dubai but I won't be able to go there myself and it might take along time for me to get it back again. The other thing is I can send it directly to Optoma (if its possible from here) but how will the warranty thing work there?

So guys whats the best option for me kinda lost over here.

Hey pRot3us yesterday night I noticed that the light leakage actually goes around the entire image and it's the bright spot that I have noticed. While watching a dark scene in a movie yesterday night I noticed a sort of halo like light around the entire image. So do you see anything like this on your pj (not a bright spot like my one has developed but right around the image)?

No, I don't see any of that here

I suspect this could be a tiny hair or something similar inside the projector. I have a few dust blobs on mine and they show up as big round circles.

Right Tommy I think I'll try to remove the cover underneath and clean it or something. Hope I don't break anything. he he he.....

You'll have a lot of trouble getting at the parts that would cause this if it's dirt/hair. I'm pretty sure you would have to invalidate your warranty to get at it.

Oh, so that means I'm gonna have to send it in for repairs anyway huh? Wow thats messed up.

Best thing to do would be phone Optoma and ask them what they suggest, you could even send them to this page so they can see the photos.

Yeah Tommy the thing is there is no local Optoma here in the middle east so I might have to try the offices at Taiwan or China which will result in an expensive call. lol. I can contact the store where I bought it from but they'll just tell me to bring it in but I can't do that because I don't live in the same country. Wow this is like a comedy of errors. ha ha.:rotfl:

Anyway Tommy doesn't the light spill look visible around the screen you've got. I mean especially if the wall behind the screen is black or if there is some cloth behind the screen?

Well I read on another forum that to get out dust blobs people have used a vacuum to suck out the dust so wondering whether that will work. Anyway won't a regular house hold vacuum be too powerful?:rolleyes:

Hi there guys... I've just stumbled upon this thread while looking for one posted a while ago on this issue with the HD720X.

I too had light leakage to the left and bottom of the screen - the pj is ceiling mounted. Anyway, i called optoma and they said they'd take a look at it, but that this leakage may be within "specification" :boring:. I explained that it was quite noticaeable especially when viewd in complete darkness and they said they'd have a look at it.

As i was expecting, i got a call from Optoma saying that the light leakage was in specification and can occur in projectors... I told the guy this was tosh and asked him if they had many complaints like this. He said they didn't but he thought that peole were willing to accept the amount of leakage - i don't know where he got that idea from! Anyway i argued and argued to no avail - he said there was nothing more they could do apart from clean it and send it back to me. So there we are, I've jsut received it and put it up so i can play gta4.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the leakage again later when its dark but I can't say i'm happy with this outcome and i'll be sending them a letter of somesort to try and get something out of them! It's just weird how the guy said they don't get many complaints but that this issue is apparent in most, if not all their projectors. Views please..

It's certainly not an issue in most projectors and wasn't present in the H78 I had. That's not to say that it might be 'in spec' for this particular pj but if that's the case where is the advertised 'spec' that says it? I'm guessing there isn't one or even any mention of it in the owners manual.

Gary.

I have zero light spill with my HD70

My previous projector however, the BenQ PB6200 was like a colander :D

With that projector I made a simple cardboard flap with a hole for the lense and that stopped the excessive off screen leakage.

Exactly what i said...Theres no mention in the manual about leakage, and when i asked the guy from optoma why it wasn't shown in the spec when i bought it, he just shrugged it off and said its common for a percentage of light to leak outside the projected image. Are they trying to pull a fast one? I know for one i'm not willing to accept it.

@pRot3us thats a good idea, although it would make the pj look a bit makeshift! Anyway we shouldn't have to be finding workarounds to fix this problem, it just shouldn't be there!

I'm quite surprised nobody has had this problem, When i first posted about this it was unheard of and thats the reason why i'm so ****** at Optoma for trying to say its common.

Well Kingbal it seems both of our inits are suffering from the same light spill. Did you check out the pics that I have posted and is it similar? Anyway I think i'll be trying out pRot3us' method to cover up the light spill but as you said this should not exist in the first place.

I think it might be pointless sending it in just for this and Optoma telling me to live with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom