Optoma hd70 & ????? basic new setup help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sconie, Jan 1, 2007.

1. sconie

sconie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks been a while since my last post so here goes, I have lost track of whats new over the last year but have been taken by the great comments/reviews on the optoma hd70, I would like to ask for some advice on a new setup from scratch.

If I start with the Optoma what dvd player should I be looking at to get the most out of the projector, I don't have any HD equipment as yet but I gather my best bet would be an upscaling dvd player ?

I also need a new surround system, as I need to keep clutter to a minimum, would I be better with a dvd player with built in amp ?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but it's been a while. :)

2. leef1234

leef1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi there,

What kind of budget have you got?
    Unless you are spending quite a bit on the 'upscaling' dvd player i wouldnt worry about this side of things, your projector will upscale any dvd for you to its native resolution.

I wouldnt get an all-in-one system but again it comes down to budget, wife approval, space etc.

With HD DVD and Blu Ray around the corner i would probably spend between £50 and £100 on a dvd player at present.

3. sconie

sconie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I am buying the optoma hd70 as a more future proof HD home cinema setup than my old Benq DLP P.J, but being new to HD I am lost s to which equipment is best, I would like a dvd player that is still multi-region however, I have seen a Toshiba mentioned for uround a £100 in the John Lewis sale.

Having never seen a HD or upscaled projector image, I don't really know what I should be aiming for until HD dvd's and players become the norm, but are you saying I don't need an upscaling dvd player because the Optoma does it itself ?

Thanks again.

4. leef1234

leef1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry for the late reply, are you sorted?

You dont 'need' an upscaling dvd player, the projector will do it, however most seem to come with this feature nowdays anyway. You can always test it when you get it home and see if you find the image better with the projector doing the upscaling or the dvd player.

5. sconie

sconie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I am still looking for a dvd player and a fairly compact surround system, any suggestions most welcome and I will research them more, projection screens seem to have come down quite a bit since I was last looking, the electric ones from ebay seem a great buy, I may buy one of those, I will still use a coffee table for the PJ though as my good lady does not like home cinema cluttering up the living room, so concealment is the name of the game.

Thanks.