Optoma hd67, 67n, or acer h5360bd: Which is excellent for 2 & 3d viewing

hype_male

Hi all,

After selling my optoma hd65, i decided the other day that instead of upgrading to a full hd 2d projector it would instead be better to upgrade to 2d / 3d full hd to get best of both world from one projector. However, the prices of 2/3d combo like (optoma hd300x and the hd33) are to high at the moment and the lack of 3d contents makes me want to wait a bit to see how much 3d develops before upgrading to full hd 3d projector. My thinking is that I should for now buy a decent (720p) 3d/2d combo to test and experience 3d before going the full hd path.

What I would like you guys to advice me on are:

1. What do you guys think of my idea to not dive into 1080p 3/2d combo just yet but instead wait till prices of these pj's comes down and more 3d prograames / film are available.

2.So far I have come across optoma hd67 and the hd67n & acer h5360bd. The issues am having in deciding which of these 720p's pj to go for is that I would want one that is good for both 2d and 3d but form what i have been reading people say that the acer is excellent for 3 than the hd67n but 2d on the acer h5360bd is not good. I have also read that in 3d mode the lumens of the hd67n reduces so therefore reduces the 3d quality. I would have owners of these pj to advice me on which one to go for and if there is another pj that is good for 2/3d apart form those I have mention do recomment please.

Many thanks in adance.

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
I have found the Acer H5360BD to be as good as (if not better) the HD65 (I replaced the HD65+3D-XL with it) at 2D and better at 3D.

hype_male

I have found the Acer H5360BD to be as good as (if not better) the HD65 (I replaced the HD65+3D-XL with it) at 2D and better at 3D.

yeah i have read that the acer h5360bd is superb for 3D and even better at 3d than the optoma hd67n but when it comes to 2d people say that the acer h5360bd is not good at 2d. This is why i dont know wich to go for as i want good 3d and 2d.

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
I bet those complaing are the ones that spend 30 quid a meter on speaker cable :p

Well as I said, for me it is certainly no worse than the HD65 I had before it, and is better than having a second box/plug socket/switcher used up amoungst my already packed equipment (oh and no getting up to swap hdmi channel or SBS/3D mode)

Any shop or forum member near you for a demo?

hype_male

I bet those complaing are the ones that spend 30 quid a meter on speaker cable :p

Well as I said, for me it is certainly no worse than the HD65 I had before it, and is better than having a second box/plug socket/switcher used up amoungst my already packed equipment (oh and no getting up to swap hdmi channel or SBS/3D mode)

Any shop or forum member near you for a demo?

I have a sound called richer sound near me but as i might be able to get a demo of the optoma hd67n they dont sell the acer for me to demo. Are you in london by any chance as was gonna ask if i can demo your acer. Oh was also gonna ask the believe the optoma 3d xl can't pass through audio but can your acer pass through audio. how do you switch between 2 and 3d. do you use 3.1 hdmi for 2d and 1.4 hdmi for 3d. I know the acer is hdmi 1.4 but not sure if 1.4 hdmi would work for 2d as well especially when the amp (609 or 509, am looking to upgrade to are 1.4 hdmi as well.

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
I'm up north and would be a costly demo :p
I have my devices hooked up via optical so not tried any other methods.
Switching between 2/3D is just a couple of remote control button presses. (3D-XL is a get off your arse and press :p )
HDMI cable wise I have a 10M I bought from Aria 2 or 3 years ago and it works just fine, and that is split between PC/PS3/360 buy a cheap remote control/auto switcher from Aldi!

chic

Distinguished Member
I'm up north and would be a costly demo :p
I have my devices hooked up via optical so not tried any other methods.
Switching between 2/3D is just a couple of remote control button presses. (3D-XL is a get off your arse and press :p )
HDMI cable wise I have a 10M I bought from Aria 2 or 3 years ago and it works just fine, and that is split between PC/PS3/360 buy a cheap remote control/auto switcher from Aldi!

you only need to press the button for sbs content,for games and bluray which are frame packed 3d the switch is auto.

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
you only need to press the button for sbs content,for games and bluray which are frame packed 3d the switch is auto.

A good amount of games are SBS too, also with the 3D-XL having top and bottom too you end up pressing the button quite a lot! End of the day having owned both the Acer is a lot less hassle.

chic

Distinguished Member
I have read the 3dxl has problems passing audio so you would put this in the chain after the amp, so if your amp is 1.4 there is no problem everything into the amp and the output from the amp to the 3dxl and the 3dxl onto the projector, with a 1.3 amp you would need to go audio only via optical to the amp and video direct to the 3dxl.

The same would apply with a acer as its at the end of the chain and with a 1.4 amp everything to the amp and output to the projector and with a 1.3 amp picture direct to the acer and audio via optical to the amp.

The only difference between the 2 setups is the 3dxl box in the chain.

chic

Distinguished Member
A good amount of games are SBS too, also with the 3D-XL having top and bottom too you end up pressing the button quite a lot! End of the day having owned both the Acer is a lot less hassle.

not as common now as most games coming out on the 360 will be framepacked 3d.
I dont think there are any sbs games on the ps3.

I dont find a few button presses a hassle as you are usualy on your feet to put a game in anyway.

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
not as common now as most games coming out on the 360 will be framepacked 3d.
I dont think there are any sbs games on the ps3.

I dont find a few button presses a hassle as you are usualy on your feet to put a game in anyway.

Yes, and then you change the game you want to play, spesh of they are downloaded titles it is just more and more faffing around, getting up when you don't need to.

when I had the 3D-XL it didn't bother me too much unless I was on the PC, now I have no getting up!

Simple fact is if he is out buying new kit, why buy seperates when he can have an all in one for less!

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
Oh, and SBS is still very common for a lot of people considering where their 3D content is coming from, be it Sky or downloaded.

hype_male

I have read the 3dxl has problems passing audio so you would put this in the chain after the amp, so if your amp is 1.4 there is no problem everything into the amp and the output from the amp to the 3dxl and the 3dxl onto the projector, with a 1.3 amp you would need to go audio only via optical to the amp and video direct to the 3dxl.

The same would apply with a acer as its at the end of the chain and with a 1.4 amp everything to the amp and output to the projector and with a 1.3 amp picture direct to the acer and audio via optical to the amp.

The only difference between the 2 setups is the 3dxl box in the chain.

Just to make sure i know what type of cable i need and stuff and to not loose hd aduio. Are you saying that since the reciever am upgrading to (onkyo or similar) is going to be hdmi 1.4, i can connect my ps3, and blue ray player direct to reciever input using hdmi 1.4 and also connect sky hd 3d box to reciever input using hdmi 1.4. Connect the projector to the 3d-xl adapter output using hdmi 1.3 and then use hdmi 1.4 to go from the 3d-xl adapter to the reciever.

Am rushing for work writing this so if what ive explained is not correct to what your saying do correct me.

Also, i also want to ask when watch 2d blu ray for example do i then i do change to hdmi 1.3 or will 1.4 hdmi / receiver also work for 2d aduio and video.

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
Just to make sure i know what type of cable i need and stuff and to not loose hd aduio. Are you saying that since the reciever am upgrading to (onkyo or similar) is going to be hdmi 1.4, i can connect my ps3, and blue ray player direct to reciever input using hdmi 1.4 and also connect sky hd 3d box to reciever input using hdmi 1.4. Connect the projector to the 3d-xl adapter output using hdmi 1.3 and then use hdmi 1.4 to go from the 3d-xl adapter to the reciever.

Am rushing for work writing this so if what ive explained is not correct to what your saying do correct me.

Also, i also want to ask when watch 2d blu ray for example do i then i do change to hdmi 1.3 or will 1.4 hdmi / receiver also work for 2d aduio and video.

Right, just go out and buy good quality, high speed cables (but not at the retailers rip off prices) for all of your HDMI devices, then buy another to go from your amp to 3D-XL and then most likely a really long lead to your projector!

And FWIW I am using some HMDI leads from Poundland of all places and they are working just fine with 3D!

chic

Distinguished Member

most new receivers will be 3d ready 1.4, as for cables just make sure they are high speed hdmi cables and they should be fine for 3d. As other folk have said dont spend fortunes on cables i got a 10m high speed cable for £12 from ebay and a few 1m cables for around £5. So just stick to high speed cables all round and you should be fine. Then connect everything to the amp and then onto the 3dxl then onto the projector or direct to the projector if you go for the acer. You then leave everything as it is and dont need to change any setup as both 2d and 3d will play fine.

chic

Distinguished Member

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
Another little point, with the optoma/3d-xl setup the PS3 can be a problem to set up for some, the Acer was recognised and set up in seconds by the PS3.

hype_male

HTML:
Another little point, with the optoma/3d-xl setup the PS3 can be a problem to set up for some, the Acer was recognised and set up in seconds by the PS3.

well my mind is on the hd67n ples the 3d xl. The reason my mind is on the optoma than acer is becuase i had the hd65 and it was a good pj so i know what to expect from optoma.

ZedEx48K

Novice Member
well my mind is on the hd67n ples the 3d xl. The reason my mind is on the optoma than acer is becuase i had the hd65 and it was a good pj so i know what to expect from optoma.

There was a time when you had to buy an Optoma not knowing what you were getting, thinking like that you may as well only buy Nintendo consoles because the SNES was great (they went downhill after that). ;P

hype_male

most new receivers will be 3d ready 1.4, as for cables just make sure they are high speed hdmi cables and they should be fine for 3d. As other folk have said dont spend fortunes on cables i got a 10m high speed cable for £12 from ebay and a few 1m cables for around £5. So just stick to high speed cables all round and you should be fine. Then connect everything to the amp and then onto the 3dxl then onto the projector or direct to the projector if you go for the acer. You then leave everything as it is and dont need to change any setup as both 2d and 3d will play fine.

is something like this what you mean by high speed hdmi cable:
1M HDMI v1.4 HD High Speed Gold Cable Lead 1.4 | eBay

RICKYDICKY

Novice Member
hype_male said:

Yes.go for the 67n & 3dxl .there is some bargains out there .

chic

Distinguished Member

chic

Distinguished Member
HTML:

good choice you will enjoy it, i love watching 3d movies on my hd67 and 3dxl.

2d is pretty good as well, watched transformers dark side of the moon the other day and the quality blew me away.

hype_male

good choice you will enjoy it, i love watching 3d movies on my hd67 and 3dxl.

2d is pretty good as well, watched transformers dark side of the moon the other day and the quality blew me away.

I hope so. Can the 3d xl adapter be placed any where or does it have to be placed to the projector.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung ranked No.1 TV brand for 15th year running
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published