Optoma HD600x vs HD600x-LV vs HD67 vs HD66 vs HD65 or any for around £400.

oggmyster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post and after reading every Optoma projector thread I thought I would do one of my own.

Pretty much exactly what the title says. I am going to get a projector at christmas and I have found that Optoma was the one to go for. I was originally wanting to get an LED projector for the bulb life factor but after days and days and days of researching I have decided to go for an ordinary non LED one.

So i decided I wanted the Optoma HD600x but then I saw the HD600x-LV... AT this point i was a little confused to which one as the contrast and brightness are different on each of them. BUT just now i have seen the HD65, HD66, and HD67...
I would LOVE a 1080p projector but have only around £400 so I have lowered my horizon to a 720p....
It's mainly for xbox360 gaming in HD and Blu Rays...
Please help...... I am so confused and i am usually really good with decisions.

Thanks a lot

The HD65 is older so you will only get one second hand for about £250, forget the 600x LV unless you want to use it in daylight as it is just a higher brightness machine if using in a darkened room the extra lumens will be far too bright.

So basically go for any of the HD66/67/600x whichever is cheapest at the time,there are some cheap HD67 going cheap on e-bay at £338 right now which is a steal if you can go for it right now.

Thanks a lot for the reply, much appreciated.
That was exactly what i needed someone to say... I knew the HD600x-LV would be an unnecessary brightness increase but wasn't sure if it would effect the night time viewing. Do you not think it is worth getting the LV version and just turning it to eco mode or is that not good ?
And is the HD67 a newer version of the HD66 ?
thanks again

If you get the 600lv and put it into eco it will still be too bright and the colours and blacks will be washed out at night in a dark room.

If you wanted to go for that pj your best bet would be to buy a ND2 filter (hoya make is best approx £20) that you could attach to the lens at night with a bit of blutak,this will cut light output by 50% so that the picture would be less bright and more suitable in a dark room.

Then take it off in the daytime so you can use in a room with some ambient light.I see amazon are currently offering the 600x lv for £379 which is a great price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD60...t-Projector/dp/product-description/B005E0LT24

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ok thanks. Think i am going towards the 600x (not the lv version) or the 67 but not sure... :/ Its a tough one....

The 600x seems to have more reviews and video clips which may be a good sign....
One more question I am afraid. Is it actually worth trying to get a 1080p pj (like the hd20) for another £200... I do love my quality, and I can definitely tell but if i have never seen the difference I will hopefully be amazed even by the 720p. Also the distance is only going to be 2.6m (in my room) and 3 and a bit metres downstairs so do you think even with such a small gap it would be worth having more pixcles ? The screen will only be 85" at max....

720p are much of a sameness the chip controls the settings ,so it only build quality to go on,and they'e pretty much all the same,same fan,same watts etc.

the offer for the hd67n for £339 is the best around.

the hd600x was only ever £400,the hd67n has nvidia cerftification and was £499 2 months ago.or even still at some places

Personally I would find the extra and get a 200x if you are going to get an 85" screen (is that diagonal or wide).

What is the 2.6mtrs, is that your seating distance or room dimension, you will need at least a 2.83 mtr throw (lens to screen distance) to get an 85" diagonal screen with the 200x and a little more 2.93mt with the HD66/67/600x.

Optoma HD20 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

The quality in image will be much better with a 1080p projector especially if you are seated close to the screen (8-10ft with a 80-100" screen) the Optoma HD20/200x are sometimes available on special offers or as refurbs for as low as £500 so really only £100 or so more than the 720p models.

As long as you are feeding it a1080p signal via bluray or hddvd the difference is very noticeable at short seating positions.

The 85" image will be diagonal and is from around 3 and a bit metres. The 75" Is it my room from about 2.6 metres diagonal... That's with the 600x anyway.
I would really love to get the 200x but not sure if I can justify the extra money but if I can get it for £500 then that's pretty good. I heard that second hand projectors were a no go ?
My dad doesn't didn't like the idea of me spending £350 on a projector let alone £500 :/ but will definitely consider it and maybe ask him. Might not go down well...
Then again I guess the resell value may be pretty good at the end in a few years unless I keep it and love it .

Second hand is a good way to go and the HD20 has a 3yr transferable warranty so if you were to get a used one with less than 200-300hrs on the bulb that could save some money.

I have seen a few 3mth-1yr old on the classifieds here for £500 and I would not be worried about buying second hand if it was under those circumstances.

As far as resale value on projectors you are really quite wrong in thinking they hold there value well.The higher up the ranges the losses can be quite staggering.There is a guy on the classifieds now that bought a JVC X7 a few weeks ago and it has done less than 31hrs he paid £6.5k new and he is struggling to get offers of more than £3500 now.

How's that for depreciation then,fortunately further down the scale things are not quite as bad in cash terms.If you purchased a new £1k pj in 6 months you would loose around £400 but by the time it gets to 3-4 yrs old think in terms of selling it for £200.

So why not take advantage of the ludicrously low prices in the second hand market and save a bucket of cash.You just need to know the market a bit and avoid the dud's and pick a diamond from the rough.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-projector-classified-adverts/1543956-sale-jvc-dla-x7.html

That is true. Same with cars. £60,000 car down to £8 in like 10 years... Crazy!
Ok thanks a lot for all the advice ....
I am either going with HD600x, HD67 (both new) or the HD200x(a bit loud though around 34db) . Where would you recommend getting a second hand/refurb online in the uk ?

HD200x is no where near 34db that maybe the figure when it switches off when the fan gets quite loud for 10 seconds during power down but in reality it is a quiet pj and I expect the value to be well under 29db in normal use.

My HD20 which is the same as a 200x and is 3ft from my ears and when in use I do not find it distracting at all.I have had quite a few projectors in my room and compared to other dlp is as quiet as most and quieter than some.

LCD/D-ila projectors are quieter at around 20-24db.

Ok that's cool, I read somewhere one of the two pj's were 34db but may have miss understood.
Where would you suggest getting a preowned or refurb in the uk ?

The refurbs tend to come up on e-bay from optoma or various bricks and mortar stores from time to time so keep looking.

You have a good chance of finding one on the classifieds on here or you could even put a wanted ad on there as it is free and see what you get offered.

Thanks a lot for all your advice. doesn't seem to be any on eBay at the mo but I will try and find one for Christmas time... Or I will end up getting the HD67/600x

I have seen this one before and everyone is saying they get the n version like you said.... Pretty darn good.
Just can't decide between the HD67n or the hd200x so hard !

It's a bit pricey considering the hours and only 5 months warranty.If you can get it for £400 it may be ok a new bulb is £120 approx although the current bulb should be good for another 1500+ hours.

hmmmmm ye it does seem a bit pricey considering they say 'no offers' at the bottom :/
They all seem to be from america on ebay at the moment.... all pretty pricey from uk

Think i am just going to get the HD67/600x as the main reason i am getting one is for my xbox and pretty much all games are 720p or under...

Ye that's what I was thinking, £340 on eBay refurbished... Pretty amazing !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom