Optoma HD600X-LV contrast

Robbertdeboer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just bought the Optoma HD600X-LV as my first projector. My question is about the contrast the projector can deliver. The specification says 300:1/3000:1 contrast level. I've just tested it on my wall in the dark and while the picture overall is great, the blacks aren't that great. I know it has a pretty high lumen output (2500), but I hoped that turning down (bright > standard) the lamp mode would make a difference. Unfortunately this isn't the case. Do you think i can expect a big difference with for instance the normal 600X projector? (2000 lumens and 3500:1 contrast). Or would a projector screen instead of the white wall make a bigger difference?
It's a bit of a dilemma because I also wanted to use the beamer during daylight for gaming.. I will test the projector in daylight in one of the next days to test if it's sufficient for this.

Appreciate the advice!

You have a couple of options,firstly get an ND2 filter (approx £20) this can be placed in front of the lens and held in place with some blutak.The filter will reduce the light output by 50% which will help with black levels,you can remove during the day if you need extra brightness then put back on for night sessions.

The other is get a grey high contrast screen (0.85 gain) both these items should help considerably with improving contrast levels.

Hey guys,

Just bought the Optoma HD600X-LV as my first projector. My question is about the contrast the projector can deliver. The specification says 300:1/3000:1 contrast level. I've just tested it on my wall in the dark and while the picture overall is great, the blacks aren't that great. I know it has a pretty high lumen output (2500), but I hoped that turning down (bright > standard) the lamp mode would make a difference. Unfortunately this isn't the case. Do you think i can expect a big difference with for instance the normal 600X projector? (2000 lumens and 3500:1 contrast). Or would a projector screen instead of the white wall make a bigger difference?
It's a bit of a dilemma because I also wanted to use the beamer during daylight for gaming.. I will test the projector in daylight in one of the next days to test if it's sufficient for this.

Appreciate the advice!

Hi, I to have just got the same projector deliverd yesterday from Amazon, I dont think its overly bright on standard. In fact im liking the brightness after many a year with my now very dull Panasonic PT-AE100 Projector. I have it connected to a PC and initially the blacks were more grey. A little tweaking of the brightness and contrast on the projectors picture settings picture menu has fixed it. If you do have it connected to a PC and set the PC resolution to 1280 x 720 then a faint black strip top and bottom of the screen will show up, thats the lowest black level, black on video or PC should match that. Remember the bulb is new and will fade an ammount after a few hundred hours use the black level will improve.

Ive only had mine on for an hour or two but for the money and ammount of use I will give it I think its fantastic value.

SimonR

You have a couple of options,firstly get an ND2 filter (approx £20) this can be placed in front of the lens and held in place with some blutak.The filter will reduce the light output by 50% which will help with black levels,you can remove during the day if you need extra brightness then put back on for night sessions.

The other is get a grey high contrast screen (0.85 gain) both these items should help considerably with improving contrast levels.
Thanks for the reply, i've checked the local shops but they only sold ND4 filter which seemed a bit too much filtering. I've checked online but most of the filters I find are so called 'grey' ones. I suppose I need a 'clear' one right? I'll keep looking. :)

Can you please check for me a name of the model of your pj. I tried to describe my prob here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...vice-menu.html

cheers/
I've checked the service menu, and mine says Model Name: EW536. Maybe that this is different because I have the LV version.

Hi - I too bought this exact same model from Amazon last week! I thought the colour looked a bit washed out but for the money was excellent. Sadly I have had to send the projector back as I had terrible rainbow effect from it (I must be very suceptable) so am now looking for an lcd projector or plasma but at less than £600 it won't be easy.

How do you find the rainbow effect?

Hi - I too bought this exact same model from Amazon last week! I thought the colour looked a bit washed out but for the money was excellent. Sadly I have had to send the projector back as I had terrible rainbow effect from it (I must be very suceptable) so am now looking for an lcd projector or plasma but at less than £600 it won't be easy.

How do you find the rainbow effect?
I don't notice any rainbow effect at all. Luckily.
-------
Today I've received a cheap ND2 filter (16 euro's) and my first test looks promising. Blacks are a lot better! I was afraid I would need to use the bright mode with the filter in place (more fan noise), but standard packs enough lumens.

Next plan: buy autoair aluminium fine and s0907-y70r to paint the wall! :)
Thanks for the advice so far everybody! My 40" tv is collecting dust now I have the luxury of a 90" screen. :D

hello, i´m want to buy a projector between this two , that optoma in the post or benq w700 , i´ve seen some reviews that benq w700 has lot's of rainbow effect and optoma ,what is your experince?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom