Optoma HD600x, HD20, HD200x or HD800x

kikapu

Standard Member
Hi guys I am considering buying one of the above projectors to go in my living room. It will be used for big sporting events on sky HD, Bluray movies & xbox 360 gaming. Will use my 50" panel for watching everything else.

The projector will be around 3.3m from the screen giving a screen size of 92" diagonal 3.3 will also be the viewing distance.

The sources will go via my onkyo 674e receiver and will output to my projector. My receiver is able to pass through 1080p but there are reports that some of them had issues with this, not sure if mine will have this problem or not!!!

Based on the above potential issue I am leaning towards the HD600x plus its the cheapest and is 3d compatible (although probably wont be looking to use this).

What do you guys think of the list and which one would you chose?

Do I need a 1080p projector for my viewing distance and screen size or is 720p ok (HD600x)?

Is my viewing distance too close for that size of screen?

This will be my first projector and am sure I will be impressed with whichever one I get!!! But would like to make a really informed choice.

Many Thanks

kikapu

Standard Member
Any advice? looking to order early next week so be good to have some feed back

Knyght_byte

Well, I can't comment onthe specific models as I have never seen them in person, but I used an Infocus 7205 (720p) on an 86in screen, sitting approx 11ft away and the image with DVD was amazing. lower res television, ie 576 was still very good from a sky box unless the source material was poor (ie UKTV Gold, DAVE type channels), in which case it highlighted the lack of quality.

However, the 7205 was a fairly good quality projector so its possible the cheaper model 720p's might not be so great, but I'd imagine if being fed a HD source, they will probably do the job just fine.

Can you not get to a dealer to try out the difference between the two resolutions? I'd recommend making the effort because its one thing to live with a TV that isnt quite perfect as the screen size is smaller, but if you dont like the image from a projector, you'll want to sell it on.

kikapu

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.

I wouldnt want to watch standard def on it so this shouldnt be an issue.

I dont think I will get the chance to go anywhere to demo well thats if I want to get the projector before christmas!! Which I do :thumbsup: Although I may see if I can get some time off before to find somewhere to demo. I always seem to buy my tech after reading loads of reviews and info and never testing the only exception was with my speakers!!! I have never been disappoint with my purchases though and its mainly due to this sight!! :D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Forget the 800x as it is a long throw and will not give you a big enough image from your throw distance.

If you don't want 720p the 600x is history so that leaves the HD20 or 200x both decent machines with £100 separating them on price.The HD20 is the more expensive and comes with 3 yr warranty and is white where the 200x is black with 1 yr warranty.

One more machine I would put on your list would be the TW3200 from Epson at £999 if your budget allows.

It is a better pj than the Optomas is LCD so no worries about possible Rainbow effect of DLP if you can't demo to see if it effects you.

It is a larger machine but is excellent for colour reproduction and very good contrast and because it has lens shift you can put the pj almost anywhere in relation to the screen.

This is a great thing to have as you can mount the pj off set to the screen if you need to which is a no no with dlp machines.Also you can mount low or high or even half way up a wall which on a shelf.Most DLP are best either on a ceiling or low down on a coffee table.LCD are also much quieter in operation

kikapu

Standard Member
Forget the 800x as it is a long throw and will not give you a big enough image from your throw distance.

If you don't want 720p the 600x is history so that leaves the HD20 or 200x both decent machines with £100 separating them on price.The HD20 is the more expensive and comes with 3 yr warranty and is white where the 200x is black with 1 yr warranty.

One more machine I would put on your list would be the TW3200 from Epson at £999 if your budget allows.

It is a better pj than the Optomas is LCD so no worries about possible Rainbow effect of DLP if you can't demo to see if it effects you.

It is a larger machine but is excellent for colour reproduction and very good contrast and because it has lens shift you can put the pj almost anywhere in relation to the screen.

This is a great thing to have as you can mount the pj off set to the screen if you need to which is a no no with dlp machines.Also you can mount low or high or even half way up a wall which on a shelf.Most DLP are best either on a ceiling or low down on a coffee table.LCD are also much quieter in operation
Well I certainly am not writing off the 600x just cause its 720p infact cause its possible to get brand new at around £380 and would be my first ever pj thought this might be ideal, although my only concern was if the 720p would look a bit naff on a92" screen from around 10 foot!!

The epson does sound great and has lots of advantages over the others but think the other half would go nuts!!! :nono: I am now tempted to have a look at this machine though :rolleyes: but at almost 3 times the cost of hd600x and twice the cost of HD20.............I originally started off lookin at Optoma Picos.....my budget keeps expanding I need to purchase something soon before I my budget goes throught the roof!!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sorry if I misunderstood your post I read "I wouldnt want to watch standard def on it so this shouldnt be an issue." so I took it from that you didn't want to view sd full stop.

If you want 720p the 600x is a great pj for the money and is currently available from £400 and would be an excellent choice for your first pj.

The HD20 would not be half the price of the TW3200 as they are £899 list and even second hand around £600.So if you are looking second hand a used HD20/200x may be your best option.

kikapu

Standard Member
The HD600X does look a great projector tbh and dont know why I havent taken the plunge already!!!

I wouldnt watch standard def on it but I was just concerned that at 92" 720p from 10feet would look well not HD! I know I could zoom the screen down a bit if it was an issue!

Now all I need to do is sort out which screen!! Find a wall mount for my TV, sort a shelf for the projecter get a 10m HDMI cable and the farther inlaw round to sort it all out for me!! ;)

bobjackson85

Standard Member
i bought a 600x a couple of months ago for when i get a new place. its a great projector for the money.

heres a few pics of it from 10ft back giving an 86" screen (i think it was if i remember rightly). no settings had been changed as i was just testing it out to see if it was ok. films look great on it though personally i do notice a rainbow effect but this is only sometimes. the walls are brown so the colours wont be as good as on a screen.

the photos were taken with an iphone 4 so probably not the best for examples but you get the idea. im going to buy the 3d adapter when it comes out in january.

Attachments

kikapu

Standard Member
Thanks usefull pics and from what I can see it does look good. Still very tempted have to make a decision by the weekend as supposed to be a christmas present if I want one!:D

Trending threads

Top Bottom