• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Optoma HD33 Upgrade Path ....

unreel

I got an Optoma HD33 pretty much on launch.
First bulb changed at 1500 hours, now its done another 1200 hours. Its just over 4 years old now and situated in a Devore covered batcave. I keep wondering about possible upgrades

Even wondering about keeping the HD33 for 3D and putting a second, probably second hand higher end projector for 2D.

What do I need to spend to get that warm fuzzy feeling of a meaningful upgrade. I went from a HD65 to an Optoma HD 200x and then The Optoma HD33.

I wish I could see what a better projector would really do in my room

Batcave pictures attached :smashin: I can't take pictures very well in the devore darkness

Room is 2.5m by 5.8 metres and a 106" Screen

Attachments

• Cinema Room.jpg
    Cinema Room.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Cinema Room2.jpg
    Cinema Room2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 96

Normal Bias

I am also wondering about an upgrade but one of the things I love about my HD300X is the sharpness of the image, which tends to better with DLPs than LCDs. I still think the HD33/HD300X is an amazing projector for the money. Doubt I'll upgrade until 4K becomes cheaper and smaller (and maybe a 4K DLP if they ever make one).

Images which attempt to show sharp focus below, although it looks much better in the flesh :)

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449578783.921791.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449578851.572939.jpg

supahyp

Another happy hd33 owner here . As 3d is so important to me , upgrading to anything else may well be a backwards step .
I'm one of those lucky chaps who've never seen a (dlp) rainbow , so I am waiting on the sidelines hoping for a 4k dlp projector . Failing that a dlp projector with a motorised lens , slightly better zoom and less noise would be a model I would probably upgrade to .

unreel

Had a demo today with Allan at Ideal AV my first visit to a "proper" home cinema.

Very very impressive demo room. :)

Saw the amazing Epson laser projector in action, saw the more affordable TW9200. Loving the black levels and detail compared with my Optoma.

Only problem is now I need an Atmos Amp, more speakers, a bigger cinema room and a new Epson Projector.

The Fathoms were given a bit of a work out on some demos as well. Well worth a visit :)

Thanks Allan for the Hospitality

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
your welcome Chris and really pleased you enjoyed the demo

Allan :smashin:

Normal Bias

That's the trouble with demos :)

Just to add that if it was a react screen you saw, it can help with black level and contrast. I know you have a black room so don't need the reflected light-rejection properties of the react, but it's quite dark grey and gives good black levels even "head-on". Just something to bear in mind (ie what you saw *might* look better in some respects than it would in your own room).

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
no we were in the dark room which is what Chris has at home using the Seymour AT screen so no need for ReAct 3

surprising how good the Epson 9200 can be Chris isn't it when it's setup properly even though you saw mine ootb and everything on zero it still looks crisp and sharp with decent blacks

very understated the Epsons ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom