Optoma HD33 Bulb. Is it fake?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pabby1980, Apr 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pabby1980

Pabby1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've purchased a HD33 bulb from Panoramatic, an eBay seller with 100% feedback from nearly 7000 sales of projector lamps and bulbs, and i'm not convinced it's 100% genuine, although it was sold as such.

My first concerns were that the manufacturers stamp on the base of the bulb is not as sharp as on the original bulb taken from the Optoma. The text appears thicker, and less well defined.

My second concern (and this is without a PAR meter so i can't be completely sure) is that it just doesn't seen as bright as it should be.

I've emailed the seller asking for assurance that he is a registered Osram seller (i think i read somewhere that it is easy enough for a seller to prove they are originals as they have that arrangement with the company) and told him my concerns about the lamp, to which the reply was "it's the first time i've come across something like this, send it back and we'll replace it".

My question is, should he be able to prove this is an original when asked?

I'm not throwing accusations around at this stage, i would be very surprised if they sold moody bulbs and i am the first to notice out of 7000 people, but conversely, if this IS a Chinese reproduction, i obviously don't want a replacement, i want the real thing!

Does anyone have experience with fake bulbs, does the text/manufacturers stamp being a bit thicker and less defined sound familiar, or am i just over thinking this?

I'd rather not have to go through the process of replacing this bulb again unnecessarily. If i could get assurance it's real it might alleviate my concerns, but replacing it with another bulb that it inevitably from the same source seems completely fruitless.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Paul

2. Normal Bias

Normal Bias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I think new bulbs can take a bit of time to come up to full brightness (20 hrs?)

3. hippy240980

hippy240980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +880