Question Optoma HD27e lamp failure (175 hours)

jason shep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Could any HD27e owners, please tell me how long the fan on your machine runs for after powering down?
My lamp has failed after only 175 hours in eco mode & I've noticed that the fan only runs for around 30 seconds after powering down, in my previous projectors, the fans ran for much longer after powering down.
Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Jason🤓

Hi all,
Could any HD27e owners, please tell me how long the fan on your machine runs for after powering down?
My lamp has failed after only 175 hours in eco mode & I've noticed that the fan only runs for around 30 seconds after powering down, in my previous projectors, the fans ran for much longer after powering down.
Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Jason🤓

Fan cooling after PJ shutdown differ from model to model. Some even have a quick shut off that the fan does not spin at all.

The manual says 10 seconds:

In any case if the lamp has failed what does it matter?
How do you know the lamp has failed?

Thanks noob0101,
It matters because I don’t want to fit a new lamp if the machine isn’t running the fan long enough after shutdown & requires service.
Judging by the manual info though, it sounds like it’s working normally & I've just been unlucky with the lamp.
The unit is shutting itself off immediately after powering up & illuminating the lamp fault indicator.

Many thanks
J

Thanks noob0101,
It matters because I don’t want to fit a new lamp if the machine isn’t running the fan long enough after shutdown & requires service.
Judging by the manual info though, it sounds like it’s working normally & I've just been unlucky with the lamp.
The unit is shutting itself off immediately after powering up & illuminating the lamp fault indicator.

Many thanks
J

Not sure if Optoma does this, maybe they can replace the lamp themselves and fix any issues, if it's still under warranty.

I suppose, it depends if you are the original owner and how long you've had it.

If its past the guarantee, then you could replace the whole module, around £120 (Optoma want +£100 more). I think they are fairly straight forward to replace, but if there an underlying issue that is causing the lamp life to be lowered...well pass I cant help on that.
My uhd300x does stay on for a very short while, never really timed it.

if you are the second owner I don't think there is any real way to truly tell how many lamp hours have been used.

I’ve had it from new & it’s only 9months old so still in warranty, I’ve ordered a new OEM bare lamp to try, if that doesn’t cure it, it’ll have to go back to Optoma, which is a ball ache, as I know from past experience it can take a while to them back.

I’ve had it from new & it’s only 9months old so still in warranty, I’ve ordered a new OEM bare lamp to try, if that doesn’t cure it, it’ll have to go back to Optoma, which is a ball ache, as I know from past experience it can take a while to them back.
Isn't the lamp under warranty 1000 hours or 12 months whichever comes first.

I’m unsure as I bought mine from Optoma direct as a refurb unit, if it is the lamp, it can’t hurt to ask if they’ll supply me another under warranty as a spare?

I’m unsure as I bought mine from Optoma direct as a refurb unit, if it is the lamp, it can’t hurt to ask if they’ll supply me another under warranty as a spare?

Depends on what the warranty for the bulb is, check the email/papers when the unit was purchased. Or the website for that specific product, in that region.

Ah REFURB from Optoma.
Well the definition of what is classed as a refurb is extremely varied.
They could see a lamp with existing useage of less than half its life (i.e maybe 500 hours) as acceptable as a refurb, but other components failing would/could have been replaced. UNLESS it was stated from the outset in the description of the product.
I expect they may have reset all the values so to you the bulb life starts as zero?
check if under warranty - if so send it back and wait - don't be impatient - look at it as being fortunate you are covered.
Not sure if they turn around later (if you have to send it back to them) and say you put a non standard bulb in there yourself and refuse to repair it.

don't be impatient
But I am! :rolleyes: :)
I already asked Optoma if it was ok to try a new lamp before resorting to sending it in for service & I've purchased a genuine (Osram) lamp, which arrived today, I’m hoping to watch Apollo11 this weekend, fingers crossed 🤞

Have fun and enjoy Apollo 11 :)

Thankfully it was just the lamp & the image is much better now than with the original lamp :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom