Optoma hd25 vs Benq 1070

That's quite a good! You can see that the Optoma has a much better black detail and is also able to show the flickering of the fire on the pillars whereas it seemed to be void on the BenQ. I will add that dropping the colour a tad on the HD25 will resolve the over saturation as it does look a little to colourful and could being the white balance back in line. The BenQ does seems to have a very good white balance though in the settings being used which is why the colours seemed to be a little more realistic.

It would however have be nice to know what the setting were on each projectors.

Regards, Shane.

Interesting - I'm still a bit torn as to which one to go for... will have to try and get a demo somewhere...

Thanks again

B
:thumbsup:

The hd 25 has just been reviewed by Monsieur Steve withers, in his comments he mentions he's got his hands on none other than the w1070. Enjoy :)

Yes, need to really know the settings to make any sort of judgement, otherwise it just looks like an Optoma fanboy trying to poo-poo the Benq :D

Yes, need to really know the settings to make any sort of judgement, otherwise it just looks like an Optoma fanboy trying to poo-poo the Benq :D

I can't see someone going to all the trouble of buying a 1070 just to make the benq look bad. If that was his motive then he didn't do a great job cos the benq didn't look horrible

I can't see someone going to all the trouble of buying a 1070 just to make the benq look bad. If that was his motive then he didn't do a great job cos the benq didn't look horrible

Well, my point is that he obviously *owns* & prefers the HD25 (read description & comments). Nowhere does it say he purchased the W1070. I'd like to know more on the background - is the 1070 a loaner? Borrowed from a mate? And how is it setup, bulb settings, what screens etc. It's just a bit lacking in info.

True enough the Benq does look better in some shots but the black level/shadow detail looks very poor in his "direct" comparison.

I own a benq w1070. Did a side by side to my HD33, innitially when i got the w1070 i was thrilled and thought it best the HD33 in every way. But my second night if testing the results are oppsite.

HD33:
Great 2D gaming lag, but still laggyier than W0170.
Terrible 3D console gaming lag, terrible upscaling of games PQ.
Better motion - less judder.
No rainbows in 3D - w1070 has them.
Has slightly better blacks.
Has slighly better 2D colour vibrancy
Has better whites. Brighter whites.
Has smoother less noise in image
3D in best mode with gamma set to GRAPHICS it has a much more lively/dynamic, brighter and more vibrant 3D image even tho the w1070 is supposed to be 200lumins brighter.

W1070:
More natural skin tones.
Excellent/superb PS3 and Xbox360 3D games upscaling. Even better than my HW50es.
Excellent gaming lag in both 2D and 3D. 3D gaming is PERFECT. 3D console game upscaling is the best i have seen on a projector. Almost looks pixel perfect, beautiful as it could be. Even better upscaling than my HW50es.
Much better throw lens. Very sharp no distortion.

And the HD25 claims double the contrast at the HD33, so km inclined to believe his review. Considering swapping my w1070 for the HD25 even tho its throw is not as good.

Judging by the video. Notice both images are exactly in sych. That means the HD25 lag has inproved and looks exactly the same as the w1070. This may imply that its 3D gaming lag will also inprove. The same test done on the w1070 and HD33 you can see the HD33 clearly about 100ms behind.

Im really excited about the HD25, shame the throw is so small.

Last edited:

Exactly, hes like myself. He wants the best projector he can get and at ÂŁ700 its pocket money to some lucky people. I own three projectors and i love doing side by side test not to make bad reports on them, but to let others make an informed decision without having to waste all the money and time i have. Reviews on websites are simply just poor these days. Projectors. You cant review them and not have another product to compare to. Ones mind memory is very poor at remebering the quality of a previous product and it remebers them better than they are.

ah well - pulled the trigger on the Benq today - have one reserved to collect at Richer Sounds :)
A quick question please? This is my first 3D projector - I've ordered 4 pairs of the Sainsonic glasses off Amazon is there anything else that isn't supplied with the pj that I'll need - the transmitter? Thanks for any help

Berth

You are all set to go. I hope you noight the 144hz ones.

I just got my new 144hz sainsonic and im a bit annoyed. Because i had bought 8 pairs of sainsonic glasses for my optoma. And i was suprised they worked as they are supposed to be 120hz yet worked perfectly. Forums members told me that they work because recent batch of sainsonics can work at both frequencies. Anyway out of i terested i decided to try a pair of 144hz glasses (the one in your link) and they are worse because they dont fully cancel out the red tint in the blacks! Yet my originals glasses do! How annoying.

I just got my new 144hz sainsonic and im a bit annoyed. Because i had bought 8 pairs of sainsonic glasses for my optoma. And i was suprised they worked as they are supposed to be 120hz yet worked perfectly. Forums members told me that they work because recent batch of sainsonics can work at both frequencies. Anyway out of i terested i decided to try a pair of 144hz glasses (the one in your link) and they are worse because they dont fully cancel out the red tint in the blacks! Yet my originals glasses do! How annoying.

I've seen other users claiming that the red tint is still visible with the Sainsonics - myself and others are getting more than satisfactory results with them (I don't see any tint using all 4 pairs of mine). Seems they are a bit hit & miss :thumbsdow

If your originals work, can you send the new ones back?

Steve has just popped his review of the 1070 up on this forums hardware review sections. This and the hd25 have been tested in the same week , pretty good comparison not that they set out to directly compare each other :)

Neither display looks like it has been properly calibrated, so we don't know if the brightness has been set on either which will make a noticeable difference on the black level and shadow detail, as will the lumen output. Contrast capability and lumens will also make a difference to either the white or black level when doing a comparison. White level and contrast determine the black level capability and setting the brightness and contrast correctly will often make a big difference.

Colours would look similar if they had been calibrated to D65, but saturation differences may be apparent if either had an extended colour gamut compared to the other (like the early JVCs had for example). Do we even know if comparative colour temp settings were used, or even the same gamma?

If these are out of the box settings with no changes to settings at all then it's not really a true test or comparison of what a pj is capable of unless a prospective owner intends to get it out of the box and use it 'as is' without any attempt at changing any settings (in which case, don't expect the best). Brightness and contrast can only be set correctly using a test disk. Even if all of a particular pj were absolutely identical settings wise when used out of the box, screen size will make a difference to black level, so the owner with the larger screen will have darker blacks.

There are very good reasons why there are certain controls on a display, but not many people know what they are for or how to adjust them for best results.

Gary

I've seen other users claiming that the red tint is still visible with the Sainsonics - myself and others are getting more than satisfactory results with them (I don't see any tint using all 4 pairs of mine). Seems they are a bit hit & miss :thumbsdow

If your originals work, can you send the new ones back?

Yeah amazon will easily take em back. I was hoping they would be better xP. Everything can always get better xP

I have reviewed both projectors on my own, side by side. I disagree with what is shown in that video. I have an amateur personal, non-profit, non-commercial blog devoted to 3D where I wrote my experience. I wrote two articles, one for general use and 2D, and another very extensive one on 3D performance. I also compared different kinds of DLP-Link glasses in a previous post. Sainsonic do work at 144 Hz, but are a deception, they still let you see the green (optoma HD25) or red (benq w1070) sync signals.

If you wanna read my impressions you´re welcome at:

3D echeva

though it is written in Spanish, so be prepared to use google translator If you can´t read Spanish.

Thanks for echeva. Cant wait to read your review of the two. I cant wait to read. I have noticed what you reported. Th3 sainsonic glasses do let in 3D on the optoma and green on the W1070. I heard so much about the 1070 colours been great straight out of the box. Yet i had to use the colour management to push back the green saturation.

Last edited:
Anyway you cannot compensate the DLP-link flash by adjusting settings, as it is always there, only glasses can block it. When you have bright pictures full of colours, it can be hardly compensated but with blacks or dark areas, there´s nothing you can do. So, adjusts are not linear. I suggest avoiding Sainsonic glasses but for occasional use (having a cheap pair for sudden visits :) )

Anyway you cannot compensate the DLP-link flash by adjusting settings, as it is always there, only glasses can block it. When you have bright pictures full of colours, it can be hardly compensated but with blacks or dark areas, there´s nothing you can do. So, adjusts are not linear. I suggest avoiding Sainsonic glasses but for occasional use (having a cheap pair for sudden visits :) )

Agreed :D

Your conclusion kinda confuses me.

You say the HD25 has a slightly better 3D effect. And i found the same conclusion comparing W1070 to my HD33. The 33 does a slightly better of of defining layers of 3D. Resulting in better 3D. Im sure its not a placebo. Do you think its possible to make the 3D on the w1070 as good as the benq by tweaking its colours? I found it impossible to match the HD33's vibrant look by tweaking the w1070 colours. The Hd33 has a gama mode called graphics which makes the 3D image brighter, more contrasty and more vibrant than the w1070.

Infact looking at your photos of the W1070 and HD25 in 3D shows exactly what i see when comparing to HD33. I don''t think is a calibration issue. I was unable to make the w1070 look as good in 3D as the HD33. If anyone knows how plz let me know. I love the W1070 shorter throw lens.

Also you said the w1070 3D gaming has minimal input lag. So how is the input lag for the HD25? Is the image upscaling on the HD25 good for 3D gaming. I have a w1070 and its input lag and upscaling is fantastic. Te upscaling beats my sony HW50es.

Last edited:
Just though id mention that both of these projectors are reviewed in the may edition of What HI-FI magazine.
They both get a decent right up with the benq coming in at 3 stars out of 5 and the optoma just ahead with 4 out of 5 :smashin:

I actually dont know how what hi fi can give these two projectors 3/5 for ÂŁ700 units and the overall product 2D, 3D excellent 2d and 3D gamin lag they should easily be awarded 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.

Ive bought 3K projectors that dont do half the things these do really well. The 3D gaming lag, its ghost & xtalk free 3D gaming image quality & its game upscaling clobbers my HW50es. For gamers, these are excellent value & quality projectors.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the motion handling is like for watching films and football in both 2d and 3d? The what hifi review said it wasn't great at handling motion, it's kinda putting me off getting this projector

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom