Optoma HD20 - Short throw 1080p projector - general queries, prices etc.

Cujo101

Established Member
Reaction score
The Optoma HD20 will be out very soon for £900 :thumbsup: - I've checked Optoma's distance calculator and it has a short throw similar to the HD700X. I'm very tempted and it sounds like a great upgrade from the HD700X. I'm just waiting for some reviews.

Attachments

• 186988cLL.jpg
    186988cLL.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 37,255
Last edited:
Ooh, I might be interested, it looks as though it could fit my requirements (92" screen with only a 10ft throw range)

Bit sceptical though as I'm prone to the rainbow effect.

Be very interested in any reviews on here.

What does the rainbow effect really look like? I've never noticed anything untoward using my Optoma HD70 but understand I'm not prone.

Usually in dark scenes where there is an area of white/light colour in the scene you will see a momentary fringe of red/green/blue.

If you move your eyes rapidly left and right across the image it will usually show up.

Warning! if you see it you may find you may continue to see it so the best advice is if you don't see it now don't look for it.:D

Specs look like this:-

The Optoma® HD200X provides superior image quality with native TrueHD 1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution. The HD200X delivers vibrant life-like images and videos using BrilliantColor™ and the latest 1080p DLP® chipset from Texas Instruments®. Its high native contrast ratio makes for crisp, clean text in bright rooms using Optoma®'s proprietary ImageAI™ technology. Optoma®'s filter-free design allows for a lower total cost of ownership by eliminating the need to change filters.

Features:
  • BrilliantColor™ technology
  • Brightness: 1,500 ANSI lumens
  • Projection system: 0.65-in DMD TM DLP® technology by Texas Instruments®
  • Contrast ratio: 2,500:1 using proprietary ImageAI™ technology from Optoma®
  • Native aspect ratio: 16:9 (4:3 and 16:10 selectable)
  • Native resolution: TrueHD 1080p (1920 x 1080)
  • Throw ratio: 1.28-1.536:1
  • Minimum throw distance: 1.2 m (3.93 ft.)
  • Maximum throw distance: 10 m (32.8 ft.)
  • HDTV compatible with: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
  • Video compatibility: NTSC, PAL, SECAM, SDTV, EDTV, HDTV
  • Computer compatibility: HD, UXGA, WXGA, SXGA+, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA, VESA, PC and Macintosh
  • Image size (diagonal): 36.3 in. to 362.7 in.
  • Zoom ratio: 1.12:1
  • Vertical keystone correction: ±40 degrees
  • Lamp type: 230 W P-VIP
  • Lamp life: 4,000/3,000 hours (standard/bright-mode)
  • Auto switching power supply: 100 to 240 V AC, 50 to 60 Hz

Inputs:
  • 2 x HDMI™ v1.3
  • 1 x composite
  • 1 x VGA

Specifications:
    • 32.4 cm x 23.4 cm x 9.7 cm
    • (12.8 in. x 9.2 in. x 3.8 in.)
    Weight: 2.9 kg (6.4 lb.)
  • 1 x component video

Last edited:
Looking good, can DLP be used with an Anamorphic lense? I was originally looking at an SXRD PJ from LG but this will give me the image size I want from my throw distance. I can get 92" + but from the LG I can only get 80" from my 12 foot throw distance

Looking good, can DLP be used with an Anamorphic lense? I was originally looking at an SXRD PJ from LG but this will give me the image size I want from my throw distance. I can get 92" + but from the LG I can only get 80" from my 12 foot throw distance
Anamorphic lenses can be used with DLP in the same way it can be used with LCD and LCOS. I believe anmorphic lenses change the throw distance, so check with the specific lens you intend to use before you buy to make sure it fits with your room dimensions.

Anyone know what differences (apart from being black) between the HD200 and the HD20? I assume it is like betweeen the HD800 and the HD80.

Anyone know what differences (apart from being black) between the HD200 and the HD20? I assume it is like betweeen the HD800 and the HD80.

I think the HD200(x) is the North American version. They should be identical.

Aarrgh not even had my HD700x for 8 weeks and already i'm spotting potential upgrades. There don't seem to be many affordable 1080p pj's at the moment that i have space for in my rooms, this could overcome the size/throw problems and and if it ends up with a decent store price maybe even the cost issue. This is an expensive hobby. (but worth it.)

I just found the the HD200 for £800 which makes me think it isn't a US version.

Optoma HD200x Cheap HD 1080p Projector

Confusion abounds. I know for sure that some of the US guys have bought and received HD200x units. But it does look they are actually two different units with different specifications.
I wonder if both models will be available in the UK and what the real world difference is.

Confusion abounds. I know for sure that some of the US guys have bought and received HD200x units. But it does look they are actually two different units with different specifications.
I wonder if both models will be available in the UK and what the real world difference is.

I guess it is different in the same way as HD65 and HD700x the 720p twins. They are virtually same but HD65 having a few hundred more lumens (poossibley colour wheel variation) and HD65 with 3 yr warranty whereas HD700x with 1 yr.

The HD20 looks like a upgrade from HD65 and HD200x an upgrade from HD700x.

Not sure why Optoma keeps so much confusion.

I thought it might be what they did with the HD80 and HD800. Isn't the HD80 supposed to be less of a budget model over the HD800?

but if you put shipping on that wouldnt it bring it back up to the same price?

Does anyone know if the HD20 will have 120hz/3d capability on launch?

It's going to be a while until we see 3D projectors appear, and even then they're not going to be at this sort of price point.

Optoma have stated that they will be bringing out a 3-D capable HD65 this year and at normal HD65 prices.
I guess with this version of the technology you'll need those 3-D LCD shutter glasses which aren't cheap and I suppose you'll need a pc to run it all but by God. Won't it be worth it.

I saw Ice Age 3 in 3D at the cinema recently and it was stunning. I really want that in my house as soon as possible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom