Optoma HD141x settings to fit 100" 16:9 screen - NEED HELP

alex281

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello AVF gurus,

I'm a newbie when it comes to projector. A month ago, I got a brand new in box Optoma HD141x and tried to set it up in my media room.
It was mounted up ceiling at 7ft high and 16ft away from the screen. When I play Blueray movies or streaming, the picture was always bigger than the screen (more like 120" fitting).
I do not really have room to move the projector back further than 16'. Is there a way I can adjust it to fit my 100" screen? Couple weeks ago, "native" format fit inside my screen but smaller (more like 80"). I'm not sure what happened but at this point, even "native" format would spread bigger my 100" screen.

Please HELP.
TIA.

I think you will need to move the projector closer to the screen, around 11 foot away from the screen to get around 100" screen size.
I used the calculator optoma have to get this figure
Optoma Projection Calculator

At 16 feet away you are looking at a 130" to 140" screen size using the zoom and focus levers on the top of the projector

Looking at the specs it does have a digital zoom in the menu somewhere making the picture upto 20% smaller but this will degrade the picture, reducing quality.

Last edited:
At the same 16' distance, it projected the same movie at 80" size 2 weeks ago. How did I go back to that size?

From my older version of Optoma projector, "native" refers to the aspect ratio. Maybe it was set to 4:3 and that's how it fit in?
I would suggest checking the top of the projector to make sure the zoom is as far back as possible and focus it, then going into the projector menu and looking at the Zoom display options and maybe using the digital zoom to decrease the size of the window to fit.

If you have done all of that and the image is still too big, i would suggest moving the projector closer to the screen and fill the holes in your ceiling.

I do not really have room to move the projector back further than 16'

If you want a smaller screen you need to move the projector closer! The further away you move it the bigger the screen gets.

I understand what you said and completely agreed with you about "moving closer to screen to get smaller picture size". Moving closer is not an option for me. I would get a bigger screen (120") first before I move the projector to 11-12' distance.
What puzzled me is 2 weeks ago, the projector shoots out (same 16' distance) to the screen at 80" size with the same movie.
Is there anything that triggered it to shoot the bigger size now?
Is there something in the movie settings that I did (or needed to do to adjust the size?
Thanks for your help.

hippy240980 already said. It's because you had it in a different aspect ratio so the film image was smaller. You would still have projected massive black borders.

hippy240980 already said. It's because you had it in a different aspect ratio so the film image was smaller. You would still have projected massive black borders.
Ok, this is the part that I want to know. How do I get back the film image smaller on my 100" screen?
I already messed with the zoom and tried different formats (native, superwide, 16:9, LBX, 4:3). None of these worked.

Thanks.

Ok, this is the part that I want to know. How do I get back the film image smaller on my 100" screen?
I already messed with the zoom and tried different formats (native, superwide, 16:9, LBX, 4:3). None of these worked.

Thanks.

You're either going to have to move the projector closer to the screen or get a bigger screen.

You're either going to have to move the projector closer to the screen or get a bigger screen.
Yes, it seems to be this way BUT my original question remains unanswered.
How did the projector shoots a film image (~80") smaller than 100" screen 2 weeks ago?
If I did not see that with my own eyes, I would totally agree with your statement.
I'm not giving up yet.

Depending on your setup it could be a number of things. It might even have been a malfunction with the connection between devices making a smaller picture then it should have been.
If you setup the ratio to be 4:3 then play a movie that's 2.35:1 the screen will be allot smaller with black bars at all sides of the screen.
I wish you good luck in finding out how you done it.

Yeah. I know it gives me some headdache now thinking about how it got the 80" image 2 weeks ago. Another thing I know for sure that it was not 4:3 style. It was more like 16:9 because it was wide screen. I wish someone on here who knows well about this Optoma projector (HD141X) and can tell me how it happened.
Thanks.

If you remember getting 80" a few weeks ago, put that movie back on thru the PJ , iit might not even be 2:35:1 or 16:9 and quite possible a 4:3. see if your getting 80" again
I have a hD141x there is no way at 11ft you can get an 80" display more like 92-96"

What are you feeding the projector from, has something changed in the output settings of that device maybe ?

If you remember getting 80" a few weeks ago, put that movie back on thru the PJ , iit might not even be 2:35:1 or 16:9 and quite possible a 4:3. see if your getting 80" again
I have a hD141x there is no way at 11ft you can get an 80" display more like 92-96"
Thanks for the reply but the projector was dead mounted to a 6" pole on a 7'6" high. It was about 16' from the screen and this position was never changed since day 1.
I did put the same movie back and at this point, it gives 120" display and no matter what I tried, I could not get it fit to my 100" screen.
Hippy suggested me to move the PJ to 11' but I would rather replace to 120" screen first since I do not really have an option to move it to 11'

sa

What are you feeding the projector from, has something changed in the output settings of that device maybe ?
WD Live streaming box. It was the same movie that I played 2 weeks ago and gave me a 80" image.
In the last 3 days, I have tried few other devices (blueray player, DVD player, Roku3) but I still got the 120" image. Logically, at 16' distance, PJ gives out ~120" image but I just wanted to know what happened 2 weeks ago? Was it just some glitches?
What did not make sense was I used it for few days to watch few movies at 80" image. My wife complained the image was little small (crystal clear pictures) for the screen. LOL.
We were out of town for 10 days. When we came back 4 days ago, I turned on the PJ to see if I could get the image little bigger to fit 100" screen, bam! it stayed at 120" no matter what I played with the settings.

I've an optoma projector set for a 108" screen painted on the wall,it'll fit perfectly until I put something on that's 720p in which case it's a much smaller image,were you playing the file that appeared at 80" in 720p rather than 1080?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom