Question Optoma HD141X Projector??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sledgehammer, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i am looking at purchasing one of these, I have a budget of £500. Does anyone else have an alternative that's better than this or is this a good projector for the money.. Richer sounds £429 ??

2. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I had one for two week and the picture was excellent for the money.

only reason I returned was fan noise as it was above my head and the rainbow effect being dlp (both of which I could ignore but the wife couldn't)

3. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This would be around 5ft behind us and hopefully in a corner of an alcove, how bad is the fan noise?. And what other model did you get after?.

4. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I had two , one sounded like a laptop going full tilt the next one was quieter but could just still hear it in very quiet film scenes running in eco mode, put in 3d the fans get louder due to the increase in brightness ,also the fan pitch was a bit shrill

but like I say it was right above our heads

loved the big screen effect so much ended up getting a sony hw40es ,cannot fault it apart from being four times the price

the optoma has no lens corrections so your placement will have to be pretty good

there is a calculator that you put the model number in and screen size and it gives you the projector distance etc

the picture was very good though , and I got a 100" screen and projector for £550

Get it from amazon their return policy is superb

5. CJ90000

CJ90000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I do not recommend this projector.

I have just bought it. I previously owned an Optoma HD200x (ohh how i wish i hadnt sold it!)
    But i have been very disappointed in the image quality of this projector. The wheel adustment for focus is quite poor to use tbh. Shame there isnt an option on the remote for this.

My biggest complaint you would think would be the very noticeable rainbow effects due to the slow colour wheel of the HD141x but i can live with that. What i cant live with is the very poor HD quality of the picture. I tried various HD sources (bluray, netflix, Hd mkv files). I could not believe how bad the image was from Blu ray source :( My go to bluray for showing off projector image is Blade Runner. And lets just say i wasnt thrilled at the picture. My Samsung ue40H6400 tv HD quality is about 5 x better image and you can tell straight away this is in HD. I know that you wont get as good a picture from a budget projector but i was seriously thinking this just looks DVD upscaled it was that bad.

Pros

Good image quality for PC gaming
    Inbuilt sound is surprisingly decent.

Cons

Black Levels very poor
    Rainbow Effect shockingly noticeable in this projector
    HD quality very poor imho.

Now i have to face the prospect of returning it and losing 15% due to restocking fee :/ (yep Richersounds)

6. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I very nearly bought this the other day from richer but they had no stock, now I have just read your reply and I am very glad they had none.. I have measured up and have got 14ft distance from back wall to screen, and this would have given me a screen size of 130". It would have been like being at the front row at the cinema.. I think I need to find a projector that offers around 100" at this distance, but one that won't break the bank.. I shall just keep looking.. I will have a look at the one you had previously and see what that like on the reviews and stern size.

7. CJ90000

CJ90000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After a lot of faffing around with the zoom and focus wheels at the top of the projector i did get a slightly better HD image but i think i still will return it. The one i had was the Hd200x which is an old model. The equivalent is the HD28DSE. I think i might try the Benq W1070. Whenever i check for best projectors that Benq is in there (best bang for buck)

8. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I tried the W1070 and it's a very good pj nice and clear, but just wasn't made for my size of room.. I need to find one that will give a rough 100" from 14ft away.. Will look at the HD28.

9. crazycatz

crazycatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Damn I was really interested in tha optoma hd141x but I'll just have to keep Shopping/Scouting.. Was in tha perfect Price bracket for Me ..

84" diagonal or thereabouts would do me

atb

10. webby

webby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'd go and try one before dismissing it. It could be OK for your needs.

11. furball1

furball1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a HD141x. I project straight onto a white wall. I use it for big screen gaming and tv/films. I dont think its too noisy (i use it in eco mode). Dont notice the rainbow effect. They do tent to start flickering on eco mode after 1000 hours or so but if you put it on bright it stops the flicker. The last bulb i had exploded after 2100 hours of use. Managed to clean it out and put in a new bulb (£90) everything still running fine. Blacks could be abit darker but i have no issues with the image quality. I think theyre good value but obviously they are at the cheap end of the scale. Cheers

12. crazycatz

crazycatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Some Good input here! I must admit to still being a little tempted with regards tha Optoma HD141x, I've also been looking through tha Projector Reviews on here.. Well still looking and reading up.. Will certainly be a bottom of tha Ladder Projector I settle for.. Under £400 IF possible and HDMI ..so much to learn..ST or Long..i gotta take some measurements..

atb

13. scythefwd

scythefwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, the benq will be too large of an image at 14 ft, even with no zoom. At full zoom I can get right about 100 at 10ft.

Are they still making long throw projectors that aren't designed for venues?

14. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    i had the same problem with the pj sitting around 14ft, i found the infocus in8606hd - 650 at projector point, although now discontinued but still available. it has a good zoom and you could get 92"-140" and i have little to complain about until you start comparing to something like the sony 45es