Question Optoma HD141x Image Distortion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by anrchst58, Mar 4, 2017.

1. anrchst58

anrchst58
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I recently moved and am trying to setup my Optoma HD141x projector. I previously had it setup at another apartment just fine. I am trying to set it up now and am having a frustrating time getting the image perfectly square.

I've attached a pic below of the a zoomed in version of the grid test image. There is a very slight up-right slant along the type but a far more drastic one along the bottom. The distortion is constant as I zoom in or out decreasing the chance it is a problem with the wall/screen. I have the projector sitting on a shelf propped up on some rubber stoppers/rear pegs right side up.

I've spent what feels like hours fiddling with it to no avail. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Dropbox - IMG_20170304_144508.jpg

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,204
    It looks like you have vertical keystone problem that you've tried to correct by getting the left side straight (pj is pointing down), so get the bottom straight, then adjust the back so that the pj aims up a bit more - that will get the sides straight, then you might want to twist the pj to the left a little, and move it to the right because it's not square with the screen at the moment.

I assume you don't have the keystone adjustment on from before?

3. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    It just looks like you're not properly square to the wall.
    It looks like you are out in 3 different directions...
    The projector is higher at the back than the front.
    It is twisted left to right.
    The projector is also higher on the right side than the left side.

If you correct those it should come into straight.

(or should I say... what Gary said...!)

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,204
    I think the pj is higher on the right because he's over corrected for the keystone. Will be interesting to see!

5. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Because one side is almost vertical I think it has to be rolled (one side higher than the other) - just keystone both left / right and top / bottom wouldn't get you a vertical edge (I don't think). To do that I think you need both the keystone out (either correction in projector from previous install or projector angled) and the roll too.
    Shouldn't be too hard to fix though.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,204
    I figured that it had vertical keystone on both sides - if the bottom was straight, both the left and right would be angled in about the same and the top would be smaller than the bottom, but he's jacked up the right side to fix it instead of doing something about the keystone. The top also looks like it has some curving at the top r/h corner which is usual when a table mounted pj is off to one side and twisted to get the image onto the screen. I can't imagine anyone jacking one side up and think that would be ok, but will have to see.