Optoma HD131x - 3D not amazing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jbyrne, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Jbyrne

Jbyrne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have bought an Optoma HD131x projector, and purchased some SainSONIC glasses to go with it to test out the 3D.

The 3D works ok on the several movies I have (The amazing spiderman, Avatar, Iron man 3, Finding nemo etc- i have many more to test on), but the 3D hardly jumps out of the screen. It isn't that 'deep' at all. I was expecting something closer to the cinema experience, where objects come close to your face?

I have read though the manual and can't find anything. Is this how the 3D should be? Or do I need to tweak the depth somewhere so things really jump out at me. I did wonder if it was due to me not having the official 'optima' glasses, instead these are DPL link.

It was a real disappointment as everyone has given such great reviews on the 3D! The projector I have to say is fantastic quality for the price, and the HD on it looks stunning.

Thanks for your help!
    Justin

2. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    This is often brought up here (have a search), what you'll find IMO its not the PJ or glasses but just the way 3D films are made. There are very few that use the "pop-out" effect as the film studios seem to think the viewing public don't like this? If you can connect the PJ to the internet have a search on youtube for "3D Chainsaw" (don't forget to tick the SBS tab on youtube as sometime it defaults to red/green). Not the best PQ in the world but the pop-out is the best I have ever seen. At least with this material you'll know if your PJ is set up correctly.

edit, looks like there is a HQ version on youtube now?

3D Video Chain SAW!!! 2

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. Jbyrne

Jbyrne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, I did try to find some threads on here for it but couldn't find any for my projector. That worked perfectly, was right in front of my face. At least I now know it works ok and is just the movie 3D-depth.

Shame the 3D on a lot of the movies is so shallow then...

Thanks for the help!

4. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    Have you tried the final destination films? Those are pretty good for pop out.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    "In your face" is fine for short presentations at theme parks etc, but the producers found the public soon got tired of such a gimmick and now use 3D much more conservatively.

Think of your screen as a window, where most of the action takes place outside, with just the occasional foray into the room.

6. BRADY4GOAT

BRADY4GOAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Never been to the cinema but i have never seen a pop out 3d movie. A lot just add depth to movies but most only have small sections. take thor, it only has 3 scenes that had 3d

7. Jbyrne

Jbyrne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think that if you want to watch it in 3D, you want the odd 'pop-out' to warrant the glasses. Otherwise you are watching a slightly 3D movie and I would rather watch it in 2D if that was the case.

I will have to give Final destination a try. I still think 3D is a little gimmicky, so it was only really for a test and to have a quick play. I am happy with the projector so all is well!

Next up... find a suitable screen! :)

8. BRADY4GOAT

BRADY4GOAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    sainsonics are not the best, pick up a pair of optoma ones.I watch tron with them and i thought the 3d was decent.

9. Jbyrne

Jbyrne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3D you get from all the glasses is pretty much the same I have found. As i borrowed a friends Optoma glasses. Now I have tried some decent 3D films I can say the 3D is fantastic (finally).

The Optoma glasses are just way overpriced... the only downside to the sainsonic ones is that they cut off every now and again and you have to click a button to resync. But considering they are £60-80 cheaper. I guess I will have to put up with it.

I may break my Sainsonic ones apart and create some split screen gaming glasses with them. Get the soldering iron out!

10. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Sammy's adventures - a turtles tale in 3D. Pop-tastic if you want to try that out.