Optoma Hd 70 bad review

The colours on mine are still on factory settings, maybe they had a wrongen. Best thing to do is have a demo of one, decide for yourself.

I've never noticed any of the problems they describe.

It's possible that:

a) they had a duff unit

b) they're idiots

c) they had a review unit that someone else had buggered about with (changed all the settings) first before it got to them.

Or possibly some combination of the above.

Either way, their review doesn't tally with my experience. But I'm no expert.

Only you can tell if the projector is ok. A demo is all well and good but there are many variables that come in when setting a PJ up in a home. Where it is located, the room itself and the screen is just some of the things that can alter the way colour is represented.

I find many of the manufacturer defaults of my PJ is fine as they are but, someone else may make more changes with their setup.

It just sounds like he hasn't spent enough time setting it up.

Goes against most reviews I have seen.

You probably have to check to see how many adverts Hitachi place in the mag against Optoma's;)

Ian

The HD70 owners club thread on this forum is one of the largest, it was the positive posts in that thread alone that made me buy mine. (well that and compared to others I had a demo of it was as good if not better and was one of the cheapest.. bargain!)

yep the first negative review ive seen from a magazine ,he rates the hitachi the best of the 4 even over the in 76, let me think nawwwwwwwwww:D

1. They are idiots
2. They obviously haven't calibrated it, probably due to point 1.

I've heard of a number of units exhibiting green push (mine included) but its nothing that can't be sorted.

The HD70 is a Home Cinema Projector, not a business projector.
They start off using a PC which uses a Graphics card to output the signal.
If their graphics card is setup to supply a signal to a VGA monitor (for example), it's bound to have adverse affects.
They should not have been allowed to review the HD70 using the PC system they used. Full Stop.
If they actually spent some money on a professional Video Card for their PC, they could have used a true HDMI output not some PC Conversion of HDMI.

Plug the HD70 into any reasonable Video Source, sit back, and relax. It's an excellent Home Cinema Projector. Not a Presentation projector.

Hope this helps?

They start off using a PC which uses a Graphics card to output the signal.
If their graphics card is setup to supply a signal to a VGA monitor (for example), it's bound to have adverse affects.
:confused:

Nonsense, I'm outputting a perfect image over VGA.

:confused:

Nonsense, I'm outputting a perfect image over VGA.

You may be outputting a perfect VGA signal, onto an WXGA projector, but was the PC in question outputting a perfect signal?
Anyways, I have no reasons to argue with you. But please try to explain yourself in detail when you diss' other peoples posts.

I have over 15 years experience with projectors and PC/Mac presentations and there's always one PC not setup to output XGA or WXGA quality. Usually because the graphics card needs to be setup in certain ways.

At the end of the day, the reviewer didn't say what he was using but when he said: 'and our HD clips were sharp and vividly reproduced. It displayed a perfect Windows desktop when connected to our computer via its HDMI input, but when using VGA we couldn't get an acceptable 1,280x720 image', one could easily assume the PC/Graphics card could be the problem.
Either way, as you so rightly pointed out: 'I've heard of a number of units exhibiting green push (mine included) but its nothing that can't be sorted', generally, these small issues can be resolved with a little tweaking.
I think their review is unfair concidering they didn't add a review using a DVD player or similar. But then, they are a Computer Magazine, not necessarily projector experts.

Fair enough, I thought you were (like the review) suggesting that VGA to be an inferior connection that would not allow perfect image reproduction. I wouldn't want anybody with a VGA card reading this thread to be put off buying a HD70.
The review is very poor to be honest and gives very little information about their test setup.They don't state why they can't get a decent image over VGA or what is wrong with the image for that matter.

I've been looking at the Optoma HD70 for home cinema plus business/training presentations. Any views on how it would perform for presentations in a well-lit room?

thanks

1. They are idiots
2. They obviously haven't calibrated it, probably due to point 1.

I've heard of a number of units exhibiting green push (mine included) but its nothing that can't be sorted.

I strongly believe that you are absolutely right in your first statement.

I can not imagine how on earth somebody can do such a poor review about a product that got such raves about it .

Thank you all for reasuring me about the quality of this projector .

Does anybody know where can I see an Optoma HD 70 demo in Farnborough area ?

Does anybody know where can I see an Optoma HD 70 demo in Farnborough area ?

PC World in Glasgow has this on display. not sure if its a deal or something they are doing so they might have it on in a lot of stores. They only had it on a 20 odd inch screen though but it was enough to get me interested. Im not sure about getting it now though to be honest as i have read about the rainbow effect thing on lower priced DLP projectors. Think i might go for a LCD one now instead. i know that when they show black its more a dark grey but i think i would rather put up with that than the rainbow effect.

The H70 I.M.H.O. is the mutts nuts !! The colour of the casing blends in with most home ceilings and i feel the picture is very sharp. I have not noticed any problem with the colours , i also feel the pj is quiet compared to my old panny PTAE300. I have not noticed any rainbow affect as yet (and i do suffer the odd rainbow).

I feel that this PJ is one of the best,finest Budget projectors on the market today :smashin:

I will be keeping mine for a long time to come as i have a free spair bulb. I will not be upgrading to 1080p until such time as all transmitions or most of them are sent out in pure 1080p:cool:

Regards Si

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom