1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H7x alternatives ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Dude, Jul 14, 2005.

1. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,501
    Save me from myself... :suicide:

I'm looking for a PJ capable of outputting 1600x1200 from a single PC source..

I/O, Throw, Remote, even major factors such as LCD/DLP and aspect ratio! are all secondary concerns..

I want a PJ capable of outputting 1600x1200, which produces first class results at 1:1 DVD resolution...

I'm expecting the pricetags to be large :eek: , but so far the only obvious contender i've found is the Optoma H7x series...

Are there any other similar PJs, known to members here, which will definitely output 1600x1200 without difficulty ? :devil:

Cheers !

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I think the only projector capable of doing that resolution is a 9" CRT. It's also probably the cheapest option since I believe they're only available second hand. A sony G90 will probably be your best option and will outperform most digitals in most respects (though not all). If you want a large screen about 12ft wide you will need two of them. :)

I also think it will be a bit of a waste for DVD as that is only 720 x 576 for PAL. Hi Def will be 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080. Currently the 1080 digital capable projectors are the Qualia and the HD2K (£20,000+). There might be more at the end of the year though. No digital has a display array that can do that resolution and I think it's going to be some time before we see one.

The Optoma H7* only does 1280 x 720 but doesn't do a bad job with DVDs. it does a reasonably good with hi def stuff though. It can be tweaked for better perfiormance but it won't do the resolution you're after. Some new LCDs might be 1080 capable later this year.

Try asking over on the CRT forum and see what comes up. I'm not sure how CRTs will fare with HDMI sources with HDCP encryption in the future though.

HTH

Gary.

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,501
    Hi,

If this helps I don't need a native resolution that high, as it's only gonna be simple PC application stuff running at those levels..

According to spec, the H7* does output UXGA, albeit compressed..?

Would this, or a similar PJ be useable in this mode? has anybody tried running this res. with the H77?

Again, It's only for PC stuff I need this res. so the normal PJ concerns aren't too much of a worry in this mode, just the fact of whether it will useably work or not?

Can anybody with a H77 help? :)

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Unless someone els does it first, I'll try to se what resolutions it will take above 1280 x 720 and let you know.

Gary.

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,501
    That would be superb, thanks very much.. :thumbsup: