Optoma H79, Sim2 Domino 30H or Infocus 7210?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by voxel, Mar 9, 2006.

?
  1. Optoma H79

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Infocus 7210

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Sim2 Domino 30H

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going to bite the bullet and get one of these 3 next week. Seen the 7210 which was very bright and generally impressive... not seen the H79 but have been told that it is better than the Infocus by current owners of it (!)... and have been informed by those in the trade that the Sim2's optics blow the other 2 away although I've heard from a few owners it can be noisy.

They're all around the 3k mark, question is which would you choose?

[room is 5.2m x 3.4m and is light tight - screen size will be around the 100" wide mark]

2. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cannot comment on sim ( but the image will probably be the best and lamp last thousands of hours longer ) .

However , I have had 7205 and 7210 and currenty have H78DC3 and the optoma will blow these away.

good luck !

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I think the Sim may not have the latest darckchip 3 chipset, especially since it's been out for a while, whereas the H79 & 7210 do.

I used to have a 7205, but now have an H79 & the difference is huge, best upgrade I ever did :thumbsup: . However, I haven't seen the Sim or the 7210. The H79 has the best contrast & is most likely to give the images the most 3 dimensionality, I would imagine

If you are being pointed towards the Sim, then I would think that is by a salesman. ;)

The H79 also will be the quietest. With the H79 you will either want a player which has good deinterlacing, since the H79's is not great, so it would be best to leave it to to a decent player. Experienced people like Gordon @ Convergent AV say the H79 will be even more outstanding when paired with an external video processor.

You can get the H79 for £2500 also.

4. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timbo, wow... good info... wasn't expecting too many replies yet - home with a stinking bloody cold!

Any ideas what external video processor has been recommended for pairing with the H79?

Also in terms of the player I was thinking of going for the Yamaha DVD S2500 or the Pioneer DV-989AVi - not sure what the deinterlacing is like on them but they aren't cheap players so I'm guessing it'll be up there?

5. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi mate ,ive had a 7205 and seen the 7210 in action i now own a H79 needless to say i thought it was streets ahead in all ways.The 7205 had to go due to the noise of the thing(7210 no better imoa)

I run it with a Lumagen HDP and the result is stunning ,higley recommened

cheers

chris

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
  7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Yes, Gordon's the man. Lumagen seems to be what everyone says, but unfortunately can't afford one :(

Haven't really heard anything about the Yamaha. I believe the Pioneer is a good option when using in conjunction with a VP, since it chucks out 480i/576i via HDMI. However, I have read of one member complaining about the Pioneer's deinterlacing not being that good, whether this is justified or not I don't know. So, anyway he was waiting to hook it to a VP. I guess the upshot of this may be it's good if you will be getting a VP, but perhaps something different if you're not.

I guess other good ones to look at are the Arcam DV79 & 29, which I believe (altho best checking) chuck out 480i/576i on HDMI, as well as 480p/576p, but should also give a great pq without a VP. However, the Arcams don't upscale to 720p I believe, so the H79 would do the scaling, which again wouldn't be as good as a seperate VP. You could also look at Marantz 9600 & 7600 which are about £1500 & £500 respectively, not sure if they do interlaced over HDMI.

I guess other considerations on buying a player is whether you will want to use i.link to a reciever, or the 5.1 analogue outs, or if you want to play SACD. Arcams don't do SACD, or i.link, but apparently have great sound from the analogue 5.1 outs.

A bit long winded, but there you go. I think it's just turned into the DVD player forum :)

T.

8. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's it guys... you've all persuaded me! An H79 it is then!

Timbo - thanks for the comprehensive answer. I'll get a demo of the other DVD's at a local Sevenoaks and fire the relevant questions at them. I wont be using it for SACD which simplifies matters a little.

Chris/Gordon - I had never considered an HDP before. Is it a diffcult thing to set up with a PJ?

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Setting up the HDP for an H79 isn't rocket science, but getting the best out of it takes a bit of doing. The HDP has a heap of adjustments that make all the difference but without test gear these can be daunting.

10. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Ideally, you would get a person like Gordon, who does ISF calibration, in to optimise it all.