1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H79 anybody?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 1 GND, Apr 30, 2005.

1. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just wondered if anyone knew if the Optoma H79 projector is available in the UK yet?

Saw it on an american forum and looks / reads very impressive for $9999 RRP.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Currently Optoma Europe/UK won't be shipping the H79 over here anytime soon. Instead, they've upgraded the H77 enough to give it a new model number - the H78. It fixes the issues the H77 had with posterisation and panning artefacts and also increases the brightness and contrast measurably. The H78 has also some improvements in colour balance (also measurable) and is improved for Euro Hi Def apparently. See some earlier threads by using the search (for H78).

The USA has the H79 but they don't have the H78 and the current H77 owners over there a a bit upset, as their machines still suffer from the panning artefacts, so they want the H78 upgrade to fix it.

If you want an H79, you'll have to import it from the USA or Japan (if they do them). The trouble with that is the warranty - you'll have to ship it back to where you bought it from for any repair work.

Gary.

3. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Gary, So do you think the H78 is the equal of the H79 and if so the one to buy at the £4-5K level? Or could you give me your recommendation of projector to buy if it was you ?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    The H79 has the HD2+ DC3 chip, whereas the H77/H78 still has just the DC2, so the H79 will have better blacks and be brighter. This will improve the contrast ratio as well, but by how much I don't know - Greg Rogers will have a review of the H79 in the next issue of Widescreen Review so I'll be interested to see how his figures compare to those of the H78.

Hmm, which projector would I suggest? I do like the H78 as it represents good value for money and a good picture IMHO, but unless you need to sit as close as 1.5 times screen width, the 1280 x 720 projectors really idealy suited for Hi Def, so if you only want to watch normal DVD and tv transmissions and sit nearer to 2 x acreen width, then a 720 pj may be overkill and a 1024 x 576 pj would suffice.

Sim2 make excellent projectors, and I would recommend a viewing of their range if you want to get a good idea of performance of a range of projectors, and Sim are a good benchmark IMHO. They do a few pjs in the £4k to £5k range, and although a bit more than the H78 you may find image quality better. The only way to judge is to try and demo. I don't think you will go wrong with an H78 though. Have you seen DLP projectors before?

Do want to get a HD2 pj or will a 1024 x 576 suit you better do you think?

Gary.

5. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks again Gary, Yes definitely want Hi-Def as am very interested in it and will be fairly close (1.5 x screen) to screen.

Have only seen a few "loose" demos although my friend has just bought a Screenplay 7205 and although I haven`t seen it at night looked very good although I thought needed a bit more contrast, probably down to in room light though.

Was also tempted by new Marantz S4, I know is twice price but i would pay that if was only way to get really great picture? Guess I need to book some proper demos but will include H78 and see my mates 7205 at night. Thanks again Gary and looks a serious set up there youv`e got, Love the bass shakers on the settee worth getting?

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Good luck with the demo's. :)

Yes, I'm a firm advocate of bass shakers if your sub doesn't already vibrate your seat. :)

In my lounge, I have a little Paradigm PDR10 which sits on the floor (I have suspended joists and floorboards) right next to my sofa. Any large explosions transmit vibrations into the sofa via the floorboards and give the experience another diemnsion - a tactile experience.

In my loft, I didn't want to have vibrations going through the floor so I've tried my best to isloate my subs. They're also right by the screen so the vibrations would have further to go. The only way to get some tactile expereince was to bolt some bass shakers to the seats and power those via a seperate amp which gets the same LFE feed that my subs do, so the seats only vibrate with 80hz and below.

I think CPC do some shakers now, and they occasionaly come up on ebay, so try there if you think you may need some extra tactility. :)

Gary.

7. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You`re a true enthusiast !!! Look after yourself and thanks again.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    You're welcome Glen,

Don't forget to let us know how the demo's go, and what you decide to buy in the end. :)

Gary,

9. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Glen

If you are considering importing a H79 bestbuypcs.com does them for $5650 US. Considered it myself but ended up buying speakers instead......

Cheers
    Rob