• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Optoma H79 and kit?

B

billmalcolm

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where would be the best place to purchase an H79 online? What scaler would people recommend to match this projector for optimum performance, and what screen would be my best bet? I need a 6-8ft electric screen - my walls are white and so preferably with a high gain. How much better are tensioned screens for performance and can you get them for £700 without electric (I presume that an electric tensioned screen would be £1500, which is too much for me). Will the scaler really improve the performance of my DVDs through my Denon 3910, being that it has its own scaler and other picture processing tech anyway?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers:lease:

Timbo21

Prominent Member
billmalcolm said:
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where would be the best place to purchase an H79 online? What scaler would people recommend to match this projector for optimum performance, and what screen would be my best bet? I need a 6-8ft electric screen - my walls are white and so preferably with a high gain. How much better are tensioned screens for performance and can you get them for £700 without electric (I presume that an electric tensioned screen would be £1500, which is too much for me). Will the scaler really improve the performance of my DVDs through my Denon 3910, being that it has its own scaler and other picture processing tech anyway?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers:lease:

I just purchased my H79 from www.projectorpoint.co.uk, which you can get for £2495, but talk to Babar & don't go by the prices on the website. Or, www.audiovisiononline.co.uk do it for the same.

I believe a Lumagen scaler/processor is the one to go for. Talk to Gordon @ Convergent. I haven't seen it myself, but from what I hear it should be quite a big difference. Would be worth doing a deal with Gordon where he could supply Lumagen & come round & calibrate everything.

Tab tensioned screens just ensure you get a smooth, ripple free surface. Beamax do good electric screens, www.beamax.co.uk, or it may be .com. I'm not sure if they do tab tensioned, but they are meant to be very reliable & don't suffer from ripples.

Miniholic

Prominent Member
Also check out DiscountTV, they are a little higher that projectorpoint (£2795 IIRC) but you get a free screen 92" and projector mount.

Miniholic

Prominent Member
Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Would you believe I supply Optoma projectors as well........

Gordon

Not from reading your website I wouldn't. :devil: :rotfl:

Timbo21

Prominent Member
There you go. Great all in one package of H79, Lumagen, & ISF calibration:thumbsup:

If I had the money I would be getting a Lumagen from Gordon tomorrow & getting him to sort it all.

Miniholic

Prominent Member
Timbo21 said:
There you go. Great all in one package of H79, Lumagen, & ISF calibration:thumbsup:

If I had the money I would be getting a Lumagen from Gordon tomorrow & getting him to sort it all.

Me too, I'm sure that would take some beating.

benji_m

Established Member
Miniholic said:
Also check out DiscountTV, they are a little higher that projectorpoint (£2795 IIRC) but you get a free screen 92" and projector mount.

Things are moving fast with the H79, I'll review pricing once I talk to Optoma tomorrow but I don't like to be out on price!

Thx for pointing it out

B

billmalcolm

Thanks for your help guys.

What does the lumagen specifically do to the picture that my 3910 can not do itself and how easy is it to calibrate the h79 with the lumagen without experience in this?

cheers:lesson:

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Lumagen has superior de-interlacing and scaling. It will recognise film more accurately than that inside your DVD player. It will remove mpeg artefacts that your Denon scaling will not and it has advanced colour decoder and y/c delay capabilities to compensate for any deficiencies in the whole display chain....oh and if you really want to make it like the cinema it can replay 60Hz incoming film source material back out at 48Hz removing the temporal distortion you get with 60Hz playback. (The H79 can playback 48Hz material without doing its own frame rate conversion).

How easy to set up by yourself....not that easy. Of course, a good dealer can preset alot of it for you. To get the real benefit of the advanced features you really want to get a professional in though.

Hope that's some use.

Gordon

Timbo21

Prominent Member
billmalcolm said:
Thanks for your help guys.

What does the lumagen specifically do to the picture that my 3910 can not do itself and how easy is it to calibrate the h79 with the lumagen without experience in this?

cheers:lesson:

Well, if you send an interlaced signal via component you won't get any macroblocking, caused by the faroudja 2310 progressive scan chip in the 3910. If you want a better idea, why don't you put this question to the video scaling forum?

Basically, if you've got an H79 & a Lumagen & don't have someone to calibrate it I personally think it'll be like having a Ferrari, but having no idea how to get it above 3rd gear. For the couple of hundred more it's well worth it I would say. Pj's don't come with their colours perfect out of the box. An ISF calibrator, like Gordon, has specific tools for measuring colours & can optimise all your inputs. There's no point gettng the kit if it's not going to be run properly. I'm going to get my H79 properly calibrated soon, and with all the settings in the Lumagen you won't be getting the best out of it, because you don't have the right equipment to set it up. If you can't run to getting it calibrated then it might be worth skipping on the Lumagen until you can do it properly with calibration etc. Gordon is very well respected. You may have already, but I would pm him & get a price for the lot, or a price for the Lumagen + calibration if he can't do the H79 as cheap.

As I said, you could start with the pj & then add later.

T.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
benji_m said:
Things are moving fast with the H79, I'll review pricing once I talk to Optoma tomorrow but I don't like to be out on price!

Thx for pointing it out

Checked your webby, now that is a good deal... however you haven't lowered the price on the homepage yet! :eek:

B

billmalcolm

Hi Guys,

I have taken your advice on board and decided to purchase the H79 with the lumagen.

Looking forward to posting some screen shots in due course!

Cheers

Anyone mounted an H79 on to plasterboard celiling?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I did :)

However I did place a flat piece of wood between the joists of the ceiling (fitted from above) so that I could screw through the plasterboard ceiling and into a solid piece of wood above.

You could use a sheet of wood that will span two joists and screw that to the ceiling and paint that so that it matches the ceiling colour and blends in better. You can then screw the pj mount to that.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom