Optoma H77 or Infocus 7205 - Which one? Discuss...

Which is best? Optoma H77 or Infocus 7205?

• Total voters

rimibar

Established Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the 2 above would be great - I'm having difficulty seeing much difference in the spec (currently waiting for a viewing). What else should I be looking at? Also considering Marantz 12S3 (second hand)....

I know that I have discussed this in the past in a similar thread, but I know how fast things move in the world of AV, so I want some fresh opinions.

Look forward to reading them! Thanks!

both great

i have infocus 7205 and its awesome

infocus is probably better interms of image quality becouse of the DCDI faroudja scaler wich optoma lacks while optoma h77 is a bigger and more silent machine

you choose!

:p

I admit to not having demoed either, but I bought an H77 due to the lack of noise, which is something that was important to me. Also, using an HTPC as my main source and with the intent of getting an external scaler for my Pioneer 868 in lieu of the PC then that part of the projector wasn't of concern.

rimiber,

I have not seen either of the two models you mentioned, however another model that may suit your needs is the ProjectionDesign Action Model One II.

I am hoping to take in a demo shortly. Everybody who has knowledge of this projector has spoken highly of this projector.

If you value magazine opinions try this link on the projectiondesign site there is couple in English including a fairly comprehensive test from htprojectors, also one where the ProjectionDesign Action Model One II was tested against the Infocus 7205.

http://www.projectiondesign.com/Default.asp?CatID=1221

Hope this helps rather than muddy the water.

Foghorn

The Infocus is brighter, so if you have ambient light in the room or can't get a perfect blackout for viewing, that might be the better choice. I am using an HTPC as well, but if you're relying on the internal deinterlacer, the Faroudja is hard to beat as Junkster has mentioned, so that's another plus for the 7205 IMHO.

Both have similar contrast ratings out of the box (2200:1 for 7205, 2300:1 for H77, which I measured myself), though I have read that to get true calibrated D65 from the 7205, it can only give 1000:1 contrast ratio:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=5091346#post5091346

http://www.hometheatermag.com/frontprojectors/704dlp/index3.html

I've achieved 2600:1 @D65 with the use of colour correction filters, and as I can see the difference in dark area detail over my HT1000 which has 2000:1 (calibrated) CR, I would choose the H77, but that's because I was able to calibrate the machine myself.

I would reccomend a viewing though - the H77 can have some issues with panning on some machines, and I think this is due to 8 segments which reduce the switching time for the DMD due to smaller colour segments. I can't say that I've noticed it (yet anyway), but for those that do it can be very distracting.

I wouldn't like to say which is best, as both have their good and bad points and out of the box are very similar it would seem. The Marantz has always had good reviews, and that sounds like the best choice if the price is right, but the only way to know what is best *for you* is to try and demo them all.

Gary.

Hi

I think its fair to say you do come to respect a quite projector after awhile, which the Optoma is most definiitely... but remember the H79 will hopefully be out soon... ha ha
Thats torn it for you I bet!?

If the 7205 is anything like the 5700 in fan noise, it will sound like a helicoptor flying over you all the time IMHO.

CH

Thanks for all your opinions guys - the noise is a factor for me and being an Optoma customer already this goes someway to persuading me....

I looked at the Projection Design thing Foghorn - looks good impressive when you consider its size, but my main concern with this is that it does not have a very established dealer network (unless you tell me otherwise). I have used Optoma's "hot-swap" service in the past which has impressed me.

I am also tempted by the H79 (for obvious reasons) but do not think that I will be able to get one for my budget of £3.5k max. Any ideas yet what the RRP will be on this??

Interesting to read the opinions and to see that (so far) the Optoma poll is well ahead. Is there no-one out there to fight the corner of Infocus???

rimibar

As you can see your short list covers two pretty excellent products - I guess for many 'novices' you should also factor in dealer/manufacturer support levels and I have to say dealing with Optoma UK (ThemeScene) is a pretty enjoyable experience from the dealers experience.

Its not clear or certain as yet if the H79 will come to the UK/Europe - and it will certainly be outside your indicated budget if it does.

We've produced lots of smiley faces so far with H77's and the lack of fan noise is a big plus for many - I find a lot of our customers view movie's late at night and don't get the soundtrack to 'reference' levels so do find fan noise on noisy projectors a distraction.

If your a 'set-up' novice I'd also advocate having your projector ISF Calibrated to ensure you get the optimum viewing experience - we normally organise for an ISF Technician to pay customers a visit a few weeks after the initial set up.

Best regards

Joe

I'm not sure just when the H79 will be available, given Optoma's track record (the H56 and H77) whenever they say the H79 will be available will probably be many weeks before it really happens. :) The report I read about it also implied the price would be somewhat higher than the H77.

[edit]

Beaten to it by an expert. :)

Joe,

'Novice'? Aaaarrrggghhh the insult! :eek:

I guess I am novice when it comes to setup.... I get terribly friustrated when using DVE Essentials - I just wish there was a user guide that goes with it for each projector you use it on.... How much does ISF charge? Or maybe I should invite Gary to Cambridge for a "tourist" visit judging by his use of D65 terminology and the like!

Fan noise is an issue, as I said before, but I do also have (a little) ambient light... You see my difficulty in choosing?

Hmm

Don't bank on the 79 being brought into the UK, and if it is you can probably anticipate it running alongside the 77 at a higher price point. This is informed speculation though!

Hello all

Rimibar - I'd say your very definitely not alone with set up procedures. Its not the sort of thing most folk undertake on a day to day basis and does take a fair old time to get it right.

Half the battle is that most settings are interactive - you set one parameter; make a change elsewhere and then have to go back and reset the first parameter and round and round... :)

Best to call in the Pro's - most ISF Technicians in the UK are around £250 for a full on site set up; you may find some dealers will work you a deal that's inclusive of this service.

I'd prefer to try and eliminate that troublesome stray light over choosing a projector that supposedly works with ambient light - none of the Home Theatre kit I've ever seen benefits from stray light.

Best regards

Joe

Makes sense Joe. Will enquire with my local dealer re: ISF and whether he can "forge a deal". In the meantime - I will do my bestest to get some PJ's on loan to get a better idea of what I prefer.

Thanks for all of your help everyone!

I would never buy from Optoma again. There support is crap and if your bulb goes after only 200 hours you'll have to buy a new one from Optoma at £250. Even though the brouchure says 3000 hours. They'll tell you 200 is quite acceptable. Bunch of barstewards if you ask me.....

Hi Gwyn,

I have to say I am shocked by that. The support provided on my H50 has been excellent so far. Their "hotswap" facility and no dead pixel policy has served me extremely well!

Gwyn,

Unfortunately, whilst not justifiable, this practice is adopted by most manufacturers under the 'consumables' differentiation. Optoma have always provided good service to all my customers.

What this hot swap facaility. I've been without my projector now for 2 weeks.

I wish I could say the same, I have been trying to speak to a manager at Optoma now for 2 days and still they are in meetings unable to talk to me regarding my bulb life issue.

Hi Gywn,

Hot Swap
Depending on what projector you have (is it a Themescene?), they offer you a facility whereby the courier picks up the faulty unit and leaves you with a replacement until yours is fixed. At which point the unit is swapped back.

Contact at Optoma
Try this guy: [email protected]

Yes,

Definately worth getting in touch with someone a bit higher up. I'd hate you to not get the full service we know they are capable of.

Gwyn,

is it not the case that you have been offered a replacement bulb free of charge?

Please confirm!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom