1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H57 Filter , ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ivnikviii, Feb 25, 2005.

1. ivnikviii

ivnikviii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if a filter which would fit the Optoma H57, Not primarily to improve image (although that would be a plus) but to keep dust and other such stuf away from the lens.
    any opinions ?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    A skylight filter will probably be a good bet as it doesn't reduce light output much and will reduce blue a fraction. As many pjs tend to be a little towards blue, it won't be a bad thing. You're unlikely to notice the colour difference though.

Does the 57 have a thread? My 77 doesn't, so to attach it you might have to use a thick rubber band. What's the outside dieameter? The 77 is the right size for a 72mm threaded filter, but as it doesn't have threads, it won't screw in. By turning the lens round it will fit flush against the pj lens, and a thick rubber band will hold it in place.

Just thought I'd mention that Hoya Multi-coated filters are the best ones as they reflect less light and allow more through unhindered. Cheapie filters can reduce light throughput by as much as 9% IIRC.

Gary.

3. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

How does a rubber band hold this in place? I'm very interested in doing this.

Thanks

4. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The H57 does have threads (not sure which size), but you need to remove the white lens hood which is clipped in. This will expose the threads. I had to do it in order to fit the short throw lens. I will try and find the orginal instuctions that where sent to me by Theme Scene.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Thanks for that info jherpe.

Just in case anyone wants the info for another pj, the rubber band idea uses a wide band that is stretched around the circumference of the lens and filter, so it's holding them both under tension. If the band is 10mm wide, then the band will have 5mm of it's width on lens and 5mm on the filter. Hope that makes sense.

Gary.

6. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that very helpful info!