1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H56 or NEC HT1000?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sixspeed, Jul 25, 2003.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, just found this forum whilst trying to find some info on these projectors. The title pretty much says it all though...

I've decided to get a projector and have shortlisted down to these two. They're both around the same price, and perform fairly similarly on paper.

I just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has any experience of either to help sway my decision one way or the other? Any good tips/reasons to go for either model?

Thanks in advance!

-andy-

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not wait for the Optima H76 which has the Mustang chip - 1280x720 resolution, and is reputed to be earmarked for less than a $5000 price tag in the states.

Cheers,
    Cal.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS

Projector central are just about to review it. They had one but it was damaged in transit so are awaiting a new one.

The specs are here.

It says $6000 but the street price should be less.

And a preview is here

Cheers,
    Cal.

4. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I can get an Optoma H56 for around £2750 though (not including tax). Will the new model be as available over here for that price?

Or are you talking about importing it from the States?

-andy-

5. tapani

tapani
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a Swedish HT magazine HemmaBio there were the hot projectors in a test. Here are the results:

Optoma ThemeScene H56 38/45
    NEC HT1000 38/45 med progressiv bildsignal
    NEC HT1000 36/45
    Panasonic PT-AE300 36/45 via scart och via progressiv komponent
    Panasonic PT-AE300 35/45
    Sony VPL-HS10 33/45 med progressiv bildsignal
    Sony VPL-HS10 31/45
    Epson EMP-1 30/45
    Philips Garbo Matchline 30/45

Tapani

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Were these calibrated or out of the box results?

Rumour has it there's an NEC HT1100 coming out (true widescreen 1280x720IIRC), so if you do want to wait, that may be worth a look too.

Apparently the HT1000 and H56 are very similar, but the NEC has far more options. It also seems to have the best contrast ratio of any projector on the market so far (3000:1.

I think www.projectorsareus.co.uk has both projectors on demo, so if it's not too far out of your way, try them and make up your own mind. :)

Gary.

7. tapani

tapani
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that the results were out of box. I don't see any mention about calibration or tweaking.

HS10 and HT1000 got the better points with a progressive signal.

Tapani

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what price the H76 or HT1100 will be here. But the price difference between the old and new models will probably be similar to that in the states.

Prices of new products seem to be undercutting the original price of the old model. The Optima is a fraction the price of it's mustang chip rivals.

Depends whether you want a 4:3 projector now or a high res widescreen in the not too distant future. The latter will probably be far more immune to upgraditis as the wide screen resolution is the minimum that most people seem perfectly happy with till 1080 hidef is available.

Advantages:
    1. Wide screen - no light overspill
    2. higher res - clearer, more defined picture, no detectable screen door or pixelisation
    3. 720p - could take intermediate hidef TV in future

Buying projectors can be a waiting game, the motto on this forum probably should be, "The early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese"...

You could also wait and get the H56 for a bargain price when the H76 comes out here.

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've been advised to wait for the H76 and also the Sim2 Domino.... So looks like I'll be resting on my laurals for a couple of months yet.

-andy-

10. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat, itching to buy a PJ after selling my RPTV. Got my eye on a HT1000 but really want 16:9.

A local Optima dealer checked into the H76 for me, after I told him I didn't want the H56 (too long a throw and too noisy for me hence the HT1000).

H76 is expected in the UK in 4 weeks and is unlikely to be much cheaper than £5000 :(

I suppose you could import it but you still need to add VAT to US prices and you may have a US only warrenty and a big courier expenses for a warrenty claim, which is not unlikely on a brand new product line.

I'll just have to wait and see what a HT1100 will cost. I may just end up hoping the new PJs drive down the cost of the HT1000 et al to under £3k and settle for that for a £2K saving.

What a time to decide to sell up the RPTV and get into PJs. I'm not sure how long I can last with my 19in telly :suicide:

11. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in the same club! Had my heart set on the HT1000 after seeing it at the av-sales show. Had to wait to get the funds together and sell my HS1. That time has now arrived, but now I hear the HT1100 is on the horizon, so I'd be mad not to wait to see what its like. If its sub £4000 - its mine. Interested to see what the H76 is like also as I believe the H56 and HT1000 are very similar in performance?

Its horrible being projectorless:(

12. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm still on a 32" widescreen - no big-screen fun for me yet. Since this is my first PJ buy, I don't want to rush and buy the first thing I see, hence my wait for the new models. I believe most will be out in the next 4 weeks since this is the time of year that all the awards magazines come out, and everyone will be wanting that "Best Buy" award...

-andy-

13. Cassius

Cassius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the better specced CR on the HT1000 doesnt hold up in RL as oposed to the H56 . also the nec has issiues with PAL sources , some have been fixed in a firmware update others could not be fixed .

i dont think u will want to wait for the HD2 machines since these will be way more expensive . yes they are comming but dont excpect mild street prices . it will even take a while for them to affect XGA prices .

14. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'll see what they come in at. I'm looking at spending no more than about 3500 (before VAT). If they can squeeze any of the new projectors (Domino, H76, HT1100) in at that price or near enough (i'm bad at sticking to budgets!), and they perform well, then I'll pick it up.

At least with the new projectors released, the current (H56 et al) might drop a little more in price.

-andy-

15. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo of the H56, very good picture, I was really impressed. Unfortunately two flys in the ointment for me. The H56 has a fairly long throw and would be right on my lap on the coffee table so to speak and still does not give me the size of picture I want. I'm in a rental property and cannot ceiling mount. My own home is about the same size so even ceiling mounting would put the projector right over my head.

The second is the H56 is really noisy (IMO), especially when compared to say a Z1 on low power mode.

So a noisy projector 6" from me on the table with too small an image. Or I could go for the HT1000 with a shorter throw and a 28db eco mode. I won't have to worry about Pal modes either as I plan to run it from a HCPC.

I'm with sixspeed on this one, wait and see If I can find a widescreen Mustang DLP ala HT1100 or H76 for under £4k or see if the price of the HT1000 drops under £3k.

On another forum, one of the NEC employees let it slip that the HT1100 wouldn't be released until they had shifted enough HT1000. In the states the HT1000 is being offered for sale with either a $500 rebate or a free anamorphic (Panamoroh maybe?) lens. So maybe we will see the same downward trend.. I hope so.

16. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What's the suggested mounting distance for the H56? I have about 12-13ft between the screen and where I plan to place the projector..

-andy-