Optoma H50 - How to fix a dinosaur

rimibar

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently borrowed an Arcam DV79 to use with my Optoma H50 projector, and am having a few setup problems with it. I am hoping that the forum members might be able to help.

:lease:

I want to connect the Arcam DV79 via HDMI to my H50. As the Optoma has a DVI socket, I have borrowed an HDMI > DVI converter.

When connected in this manner I get a message saying "HDMI connection not found". The "Force DVI" option does not make any difference.

When I select HDMI as the output option the image doubles up on screen. When I switch off the progressive option I get a red tint across the screen.

I spoke with Optoma who simply said that you could use HDMI, but as the signal is being converted and something is being displayed, then I am inclined to believe that there may be hope yet.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks

You wont be able to use the dvi input from HDMI as it is HDCP protected. this means the arcam dvd player will ask the PJ for a HDCP handshake before it will pass a signal.
(HI DEF COPY PROTECTION)

the H50 is not HDCP compatable hence no signal.

You can however use a PC (which will work fine via DVI)to do a 1:1 pixel map( and some dvd players with DVI out are also non HDCP)
you must use a progressive signal with dvi. But its a no go with the Arcam

I use to have a H56 and thats why i changed PJ

I wouldn't call it the end of the earth though, I've found the component output on the DV 79 is fantastic!

Thanks Gandley/Bobby,

Actually I believe the HDCP handshaking is switched off, and I am getting a picture. Just not a correct image (as described above). Any other suggestions anyone?

Otherwise I may have to wear full body armour when I tell my wife I need a new PJ!!!!!!!

Thanks

in that case go into the h50s pic settings and look for a list of settings that say Phase, frequency, horizontal etc, use these to get the image to fit the screen, i had a problem with my H56 when trying to get an image to fill the full width of the DMD when trying to display an external progresive image. this sorted it.

Do you get an image with all discs u put in the arcam?

Hi Gandley, not sure I have those settings on my PJ. Is this hidden menu? Re: discs I get a pic with everything I've tried so far.

Thanks

Nah it only displays these setting when your sending the PJ a progressive signal, so you need to have the dvd player playing to get these up(and set to outputting a prog signal). Its been a while since i had my H56 so im trying to remember.

when you say you see image, does it fill all the screen or just part of it or is it just a little box in centre or appear shifted to the right or left?

Try also changeing the arcam units HDMI output from 576I -576p etc to see what happens or even 480i-480p

That's interesting - I did not know it was possible to change the Arcam's resolution output. I looked exhaustively through the menus but that option is not available.

Maybe something to do with the message "HDMI not detected" message on the Arcam setup screen?

Re: the what I see on screen, either I get the screen doubled up (side by side) when in progressive mode, ot I get a red tinge to the whole screen

right the red tinge is just red push somthing the h56 does with a prog signal, u have to recalibrate the display to remove the red push ie back down red in the settings. this will not effect other inputs as the H50 will remember each inputs settings. Just back red down till the red push is not visible

The side by side image also is just a quirk as it cant lock to the signal the dvd player is outputting, all you have to do to get rid off that is choose another input on the PJ and then go back to the input the dvd player is on or on the remote just press resync.

The H50 will remember your settings for both interlaced and progressive, so first make sure you know which the arcam is out putting

576i/576p is just pal stuff and 480i/480p is NTSC, so not a resolution change via the arcam, the arcam will just let u choose interlaced or progressive, choose progressive for use with DVI

Thanks for all this Gandley. I have tried the resync several times, what it does is lose the signal altogether and gives me a nice empty blue screen

if it does that turn the dvd player on off, which i suspect u have already, this should then make the image stable.

Im just so suprised you are getting a signal from the arcam at all with HDMI, but then its not a scaling dvd player is it so it may not need HDCP, which is y u can see an image...........Bling :zonked: now i see.

In that case just follow the red push issue by backing red down and if signal does not lock turn dvd player on off.

I have found with HDMI that the PJ must be turned on first and fully booted to get a reliable lock first time every time., once you get the image locked, back down red and use the other settings i mention to make sure the image fits the whole DMD.(if its not it will show a black border down 1 side of the screen)
DVI can only except a progressive signal so again make sure the arcam is set to prog output.

Now you should be sorted.

I went through all this with the H56 so your not alone on this

Right - I'll give it a whirl this evening and see what happens. Will report back early next week!

When I spoke to Optoma they simply said that it was impossible to work with HDMI on the H50, so they could not help any further.

Wish I could afford a better PJ at the moment then there wouldn't be all this hassle!

Thanks Gandley

Hello all,

Another frustrating evening trying to get Arcam DV79 HDMI signal to work with the H50.

After further playing here are the results. Hopefully someone out there (Gandley?) can make sense of it all!!!!

1. With HDMI signal, I can view the DV79 setup screen. When I select progressive it gives a red hue. When I start the DVD playing the PJ goes nuts trying to sync to the signal. It shows brief snaps of the picture and then says continues non stop to re sync. Optoma on screen menu shows 60hz, 800 x 600, DVI.

2. As above but without progressive selected I can view DV79 menu but without red hue. Moment I put a DVD in the pic re-syncs endlessly as above.

3. I tried using standard component input - will only work with non-progressive signal. Again if progressive signal is selected I can see the DV79 menu, but the DVD picture sends it nuts.

What is doubly frustrating is that the "snaps" that I see via HDMI and much higher res.

Any further thoughts before I kick the PJ into oblivion.

With regards to previous comments, the non progressive picture via component is good, but other than the sound, does it really justify and £900+ source.

I'll cry myself to sleep and hope for a solution from you tomorrow. :suicide:

Richard

Rimibar,
If the H50 does not support HDCP then you will not be able to use it with the DV79 via HDMI. The DV79 will power up with HDCP off, but when a copy protected disc is played HDCP will turn on, hence the problems when you play a disc. The brief flashes images you mention are typical of this situation as the source repeatly tries and fails to authenticate with the receiver.
Regarding the analogue progressive, it sounds like the optoma can't handle the macrovision signal on this output - again this will be turned off at power up but will turn on once a copy protected disc is played.
BTW there is no way to disable HDCP or macrovision on DV79.

As above, its the reason i passed on my H56, while a very good PJ it does not support HDCP, think the H57 onwards does though.

You will only be able to use component with the arcam or use a PC to get a digital pic via DVI(as long as it supports DVI-D)

Time to invest in a new PJ to get the best from the Arcam

Thanks for the advice Guys. It's like having a dirty great big cake, and a dirty great big appetite, but not having a mouth!!! AAArrrrrGGGHhhh!

Will locate best body armour and discuss with wife. :rolleyes:

Gandley, I note that you use a 3910. Any particular reason? What is CD playback like?

A titanium suit might be good for short range blows,

As for the 3910, its an awesome dvd player, I use it mostly for DVD film and the odd SACD which sounds amazing. I dont use a dvd player to play a CD as i have A NAD deck that is superb, so no point useing anything else.
saying that the 3910 does seem ok with CD. DVD-a and SACD are great with the 3910, very impressive. Butt pQ quality via HDMI is superb.
couldnt advise over your Arcam unless you want the extras the 3910 has as the pic the 2 units provide are both excellent. For me in my setup the 3910 had the hedge but so close. i preffered to have i-link, and SACD as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom