Optoma H50/DLP query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andyxxx, Nov 12, 2002.

1. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering purchasing a dlp projector but know very little about home cinema/projectors. It will be solely used for watching dvds and will be installed in a 15ft room. I have a total budget of no more than £4k. Is DLP the best technology for my budget and in particular would the Optama H50 be a good choice? – or could you suggest an alternative that I should be looking at. Thanks for any input.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,835
    How much of that 4k is for the pj?

The NEC HT1000 looks like an excellent machine for just over £3100 and looks like it'll be great when hooked up to a standard dvd player (not sure about htpc yet though).

According to www.projectorcentral.com, the Optama H55 (couldn't find the 50) only has 100:1 contrast. This is terrible for home cinema and should be avoided.

Newer pjs are exceeding 700:1 now, with the HT1000 doing 2000:1 to 3000:1 (adjustable).

have you seen a DLP pj yet? Make sure you do, as some people are sensative to the rainbow effect ( a product of how it projects rgb), so that might spoil the viewing for you.

I've found the H50 mentioned here:

http://www.projected.co.uk/projectors.htm (cheers Jeff), but no info. At that price, I think I'd be more inclined to go for something like the Plus 1080 or NEC LT150.

Check here and over at avsforum.com for more info on those and other projectors more suited for home cinema. Most pjs have poor internal scalers, and not all look good when fed with composite or s-video. Suitably equiped computers (htpcs) by-pass the scalers and produce far better pictures. See the home cinema pc forum for more info if pc tweaking is you bag. :)

HTH

Gary.

3. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the H55 has a 1000:1 contrast ratio. Home Cinema Choice liked the H50 but I think the NEC looks a better buy.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,835
    Hi all,

I just happened to see the H50 review, and it does look quite good, but I think it's only an 800 x 600 panel with compression for 1024 x 768.

I think that if you can go the extra £600, get the NEC HT1000, it can even take RGB scart - it has an adaptor with a scart at one end and 15pin vga at the other. It has more options than you can shake a stick at including various screen adjustments including moving a 16:9 image anywhere in the 4:3 panel, and doing a non linear stretch of 4:3 material within the 16:9 area if you choos that as your preffere projected ratio.

It looks like a stonking machine, but only a demo wil tell the truth. :)

5. cbcox

cbcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The H50 is indeed a 800x600 projector and has a 800:1 contrast ratio. The H55 is a 1024x768 projector and has a 1000:1 contrast ratio.

www.optoma.co.uk has a link to the home cinema choice review as a PDF, but inthe full magazine, the H50 was easily the best in a group test that compared a range of projectors from £5000 to £1200.

I have an H50, and can confirm that it has an OUTSTANDING picture and is every bit as good as the magazine review suggests.

6. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thank you all for your quick response. I have indeed arranged to view the H50 (Sevenoaks, Sheffield) on Friday and will also now look at the HT100 that you mention. In my ignorance I do not even know why an increased contrast ratio is better (Is it similar to the number of pixels in digital cameras?) I have only viewed one DLP projector and noticed no rainbow effect but will certainly pay more attention to this phenomonon at the demo. PC tweaking is certainly not my bag! - I know as little about my computer as I do projectors!!

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,835
    A higher contrast ratio will show you better detail in dark areas.

Here's a thread with a picture which will explain it a lot better than I could. :)

contrast ratio

Gary.

8. cbcox

cbcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Pioneer DV-545 DVDplayer connected directly to my projector via an S-VHS cable, and as I've already said, I'm delighted with the picture, which is a massive improvement over my old Sharp LCD projector. (I also use my Xbox on it for games, and again the picture is great).

I've not looked into using a HTPC or ProV yet though.

You also asked about screens, I also bought a 16x9 Draper Luna screen (matte white), 83" diagonal, and am also very happy with it.