1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H50 DLP Cinema Hits UK Market

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stubie_do, Oct 24, 2002.

1. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    OPTOMA H50 DLP Cinema

MSRP £2499.

Technical Specifications:

DLP Technology by Texas Instruments

Optical Features

Resolution: 800 x 600 SVGA, Compression 1024 x 768
    Brightness: 1300 ANSI Lumens (Peak)
    Contrast Ratio: 800:1 Contrast
    Lens: f=28.8~34.5mm (F=2.44~2.69)
    Throw Ratio: 2.0~2.5

Video Input

S-Video, Composite, Component

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    Hi Stuart,
    I'm the administrator for the AV Forums.
    Firstly let me welcome you to the forums. I hope that you will find them a useful and entertaining resource.
    I have a slight problem.
    I'm in two minds whether to delete your first post or not.
    The problem with it is that we don't allow retailers or manufacurers/distributors to advertise their own products. In that respect your post breaks the forum rules as it clearly sounds like an advert.
    On the other hand, I am grateful that you posted the information and I feel that forum members will find it useful.
    If it was reworded to sound more like information and a little less like an advert, then I think for the benefit of forum members, we'd all prefer it to stay.

What do other people/moderators think? This might be seen as a 'test case' perhaps as we don't often get manufacturers doing this. I certainly want to encourage manufacturers to participate.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    I think a better post would be more friendly. IE Hi I am stuart, this is what i do, i thought i ould let you know about a new product we are launching in the uk, it is etc etc etc

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Perhaps some of the site sponsors may feel a little aggrieved given the free advertising.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmmm........

The post seems to give factual information rather than blurb (ie "....the greatest thing since sliced bread....")

I'm inclined to vote to let it ride, although I wouldn't want this forum to get clogged up with ads. If you include a rule which allows only objective information (specs, release date, RRP true identity) then that would be ok with me. If you attract enough candidates, you could consider a forum area for mfctrers/dealers announcements.......

What do you think about asking for a donation to the forum for being allowed to reach a very focussed (no pun intended) customer base ?

Sean G.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    Exactly the problem

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have to say if I was a representative of one of the site sponsors/advertisers - for example MX2 - I would feel a little upset about it. I mean why pay for an advert if you can just post: Star Wars Episode II now available for £16.99 from www.mx2.org

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,527
    Hopefully banners are a little more visible, but your point is well taken.
    What would you suggest to remedy the situation, though?

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think there is a difference between ads for DVDs which may be price oriented as opposed to mfctrers/distributors announcements - it could be advantageous to have the distributors engaged with the forum - think how handy/useful it would have been (or still be) if we had a Panasonic bod with a relationship with the forum.......

You can sort this out by

allowing it and others with strict rules...or

ask them for a donation........or

kill it.

post a poll if you like............ I think this could be a useful thing to promote in the interests of the members here. Alternatively you could run rules for these posts past your sponsors and see what they say.

Sean G.

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    :D

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the post is too impersonal. There is no sense of the person behind the advert. For me there should be no members here that are not part of the community. At least even the Richer Sounds fella was entering into a dialogue with other members - this strikes me as a sign up, post advert, and then never be heard of again job. I could be wrong though and apologies if this is the case.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,824
    Just monitor it, and if it gets out of hand then stamp on it.

I agree in that Stuart's post was free from "buy this great product now", but it would get a little annoying if the forums got clogged.

The thread starter hasnt offended me in any way, let it ride for now.

13. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If you were sponsoring the site with £x amount for banner ads/advertising space would you still feel the same ?

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,824
    A banner is hardly comparable to a single thread in a massive forum.

Like I say IF it gets out of hand, then stamp on it. Otherwise, chill and let it be.

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The suggestion to ask your sponsors was sarcasm...........haven't managed to master the art of using smilies...........

I agree with Smurfin - Lynx seems too stressed over this - the special deals part of the forum is packed with "XXXXX DVD for £1.99 at YYYYY shop" type threads - but no sign of MX2.org causing a fuss is there ????

If you think the guy was impolite/unfriendly then PM him ar ask him here on this thread and see does he want to represent his company and engage with the forum - see Chris Frosts dialogue with Infomatique and others on the Philips Garbo for instance....

If you can't see the end of this why not run a poll ?

Sean G.

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nobody is getting stressed, and I think you are missing the point - there is a difference between pointing out a good deal to your friends, and advertising.

17. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I think you are confusing me with someone else, lynx most certainly ain't stressed :) , you have also missed the point i tried to make.

edit :- Lex beat me to it.

18. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Lex,

No pejorative intention from me with the "stressed" word, I find this forum an extraordinarily useful and friendly resource and do not wish to cause offence to you or any other member.

I don't think there was any subjective information in the original post - just an announcement that the projector was being released onto the market - I do think that this is different to advertising - for instance if the guy said "now available in x shop for y price" then I would find that objectionable. If you are genuinely concerned about sponsorship then just kill it and lets get back to opinions problems and solutions.

Regards,

Sean G.

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Glad you enjoy the forum theritz. I am sure no-one took offence, if you want to see people take offence you should see juboy's posts! :D

20. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    ouch :D

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I seem to be in a minority as I don't like it. To my mind it's nothing more than a free advert and if we let someone get away with such blatant advertising we might as well let everyone in and lose all of the sponsorship.

22. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I agree with Ian.

It is an advert. If you don't stop posts like this, then the forum is likely to become full of them. And the sponsors are likely to stop paying for their adverts. And then the forum disappears...

My suggestion would be to politely explain the forum rules, delete the post and ask him if he would like to pay for an advert.

Cheers,
    Liam

23. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Stuart a rule is a rule surely! If you are going to allow it to be broken by one then whats the point in having it in the first place?
    As I'm typing this I can see Gordons ad doing its stuff at the top of the screen (and hifi bitz! dont want to be accused of favouritism) to which he has paid (I presume) hard earned cash for, seems a bit unfair to me :(

24. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I wonder how many of these posts have been disguised in the past as " An associate/friend/little bird told me...."

There may well be a case against these types of posts, but I think that most forum members, particularly those on the point of purchase, would be glad to hear of imminent products in order to avoid the "If only I'd known" syndrome
    Personally, I agree with the earlier opinion from Theritz; Make sure they're short, factual, and if it leads to too many- ban them or move them to their own area.

Banners are much more likely to be seen- as long as these types of posts cannot be repeated in multiple threads/ forums they will only be seen by members interested in the specific thread subject. There have been, after all, 280+ viewings at time of writing on the thread...

Just a thought

25. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Personally, I'd pull the posting, warn the poster that it does technically count as an advert, regardless of whether they are intending to profit from it or not, and make sure that ANY advertising of any kind, asssociated with a company must be paid for!

Sorry, but as others have said, why have the rules in place, if someone can just sideways out of them, and get free advertising?!

Pooch

26. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,233
    I agree with IanJ, PoochJD and others. I think the post should be pulled.

It is clearly meant as an advert and should not be allowed to remain.

There is no personalising in his post, he has not tried to disguise it as a recommendation of equipment he owns or equipment he has heard good things about, it is clearly just an advert from the company he works for.

As has been said in previous posts there are several companies who actually pay to advertise on this forum and regardless of the fact whether it is one post in one thread that not everyone will say it is still an advert, which they are getting for free, and should be pulled.

The Richer sounds guy got ticked off for this so I think the same should apply to this guy.

Rules are rules.

Greg

27. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Perhaps I could be allowed to add a comment?

I would welcome the involvement of more manufacturers provided it was done for the right reason.

There is a lot poor information circulating about projectors. Some of this comes from well meaning but ill informed dealers, another source is the Chinese whispers effect, but most is from confusion about new technology. Does anyone remember the regular and lengthy threads trying to describe the difference between Anamorphic and Letter boxed in the early days of DVD?.

As manufacturers representatives and trade professionals, my colleagues and I are in the best position to provide clear definitive answers to enthusiast’s questions.

This forum has developed remarkably since the early days. It’s a credit to the moderators that this is one of the few web forums where common sense and courtesy prevail (most of the time;) ). I know Stuart personally, we worked together at Owl a couple of years ago. His approach maybe lacked tact, but given the opportunity I think he could make a useful contribution to the forum.

Regards

28. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Right On Liam (Event 2 buddy!)

Its an advert for crying out loud, to shift boxes. Next it'll be another Spanish person emailing everyone on the forum about their gripes which is what happened on the unofficial Meridian forum.

OK, there are others who are in the biz here, but they contribute such a great deal of information, as well as practical activities. This is a hugh benefit to forum members like me - so they definately must stay.

To misquote Madonna, "Strike the post!" If you dont know the rules, then you wont "be right back".

The Stifmeister

29. stubie_do

stubie_do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Stuart,

Sorry for not replying sooner to your thread, two reasons. Time (trouble and strife and all that..) and I thought I would let it roll to see what other members opinions would be.

Firstly I would like to point out that it was not my intention to upset the apple cart but to provide factual information about a product directly from the horses mouth. There was no indication in the posting that you can buy this product from "www...." at £2500 call us on tel:.... Unlike some postings that I've read, come on.

Other members pointed out that some resellers have paid good money to advertise on this site. That I respect and have removed any links relating to www.optoma.co.uk from the posting.

Its very educating to read posting at www.avsforum.com (and here) between manufaturers / dealers / customers and pleasing to see manufactures providing correct information, rather than postings that read "I think it is etc.." Contrast ratio of 100:1 (Themescene H55) on a recent posting is a good example. I'll get round to that one.

Would "Technical Specifications H50" have been a more appropriate heading?

Where are the other manufacturers/distributors. Hiding behind "email addresses"? Apart from "Grrr there's a Tiger in him" Chris.

Again, sorry no offensive to any member meant.

Polls welcome on this topic.

30. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,824
    I would ask what exactly the difference is between someone like Uncle Eric and any other dealer, after all half of his posts are (ultimately) an advert for the stuff he sells. (and that's not intended as a dig at eric, I know he contributes alot to the forum).