Lens: f=28.8~34.5mm (F=2.44~2.69)
Throw Ratio: 2.0~2.5

Video Input

S-Video, Composite, Component

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Hi Stuart,
I'm the administrator for the AV Forums.
Firstly let me welcome you to the forums. I hope that you will find them a useful and entertaining resource.
I have a slight problem.
I'm in two minds whether to delete your first post or not.
The problem with it is that we don't allow retailers or manufacurers/distributors to advertise their own products. In that respect your post breaks the forum rules as it clearly sounds like an advert.
On the other hand, I am grateful that you posted the information and I feel that forum members will find it useful.
If it was reworded to sound more like information and a little less like an advert, then I think for the benefit of forum members, we'd all prefer it to stay.

What do other people/moderators think? This might be seen as a 'test case' perhaps as we don't often get manufacturers doing this. I certainly want to encourage manufacturers to participate.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I think a better post would be more friendly. IE Hi I am stuart, this is what i do, i thought i ould let you know about a new product we are launching in the uk, it is etc etc etc

lynx

Senior Moderator
Perhaps some of the site sponsors may feel a little aggrieved given the free advertising.

theritz

Hmmm........

The post seems to give factual information rather than blurb (ie "....the greatest thing since sliced bread....")

I'm inclined to vote to let it ride, although I wouldn't want this forum to get clogged up with ads. If you include a rule which allows only objective information (specs, release date, RRP true identity) then that would be ok with me. If you attract enough candidates, you could consider a forum area for mfctrers/dealers announcements.......

What do you think about asking for a donation to the forum for being allowed to reach a very focussed (no pun intended) customer base ?

Sean G.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Originally posted by lynx
Perhaps some of the site sponsors may feel a little aggrieved given the free advertising.
Exactly the problem

Lex

I have to say if I was a representative of one of the site sponsors/advertisers - for example MX2 - I would feel a little upset about it. I mean why pay for an advert if you can just post: Star Wars Episode II now available for £16.99 from www.mx2.org

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Originally posted by Lex
I have to say if I was a representative of one of the site sponsors/advertisers - for example MX2 - I would feel a little upset about it. I mean why pay for an advert if you can just post: Star Wars Episode II now available for £16.99 from www.mx2.org

Hopefully banners are a little more visible, but your point is well taken.
What would you suggest to remedy the situation, though?

theritz

I think there is a difference between ads for DVDs which may be price oriented as opposed to mfctrers/distributors announcements - it could be advantageous to have the distributors engaged with the forum - think how handy/useful it would have been (or still be) if we had a Panasonic bod with a relationship with the forum.......

You can sort this out by

allowing it and others with strict rules...or

ask them for a donation........or

kill it.

post a poll if you like............ I think this could be a useful thing to promote in the interests of the members here. Alternatively you could run rules for these posts past your sponsors and see what they say.

Sean G.

lynx

Senior Moderator
Originally posted by theritz
Alternatively you could run rules for these posts past your sponsors and see what they say.

Sean G.
:D

Lex

I think the post is too impersonal. There is no sense of the person behind the advert. For me there should be no members here that are not part of the community. At least even the Richer Sounds fella was entering into a dialogue with other members - this strikes me as a sign up, post advert, and then never be heard of again job. I could be wrong though and apologies if this is the case.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Just monitor it, and if it gets out of hand then stamp on it.

I agree in that Stuart's post was free from "buy this great product now", but it would get a little annoying if the forums got clogged.

The thread starter hasnt offended me in any way, let it ride for now.

lynx

Senior Moderator
Originally posted by Smurfin

The thread starter hasnt offended me in any way
If you were sponsoring the site with £x amount for banner ads/advertising space would you still feel the same ?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
A banner is hardly comparable to a single thread in a massive forum.

Like I say IF it gets out of hand, then stamp on it. Otherwise, chill and let it be.

theritz

The suggestion to ask your sponsors was sarcasm...........haven't managed to master the art of using smilies...........

I agree with Smurfin - Lynx seems too stressed over this - the special deals part of the forum is packed with "XXXXX DVD for £1.99 at YYYYY shop" type threads - but no sign of MX2.org causing a fuss is there ????

If you think the guy was impolite/unfriendly then PM him ar ask him here on this thread and see does he want to represent his company and engage with the forum - see Chris Frosts dialogue with Infomatique and others on the Philips Garbo for instance....

If you can't see the end of this why not run a poll ?

Sean G.

Lex

I agree with Smurfin - Lynx seems too stressed over this - the special deals part of the forum is packed with "XXXXX DVD for £1.99 at YYYYY shop" type threads - but no sign of MX2.org causing a fuss is there ????

Nobody is getting stressed, and I think you are missing the point - there is a difference between pointing out a good deal to your friends, and advertising.

lynx

Senior Moderator
Lynx seems too stressed over this
I think you are confusing me with someone else, lynx most certainly ain't stressed :) , you have also missed the point i tried to make.

edit :- Lex beat me to it.

theritz

Lex,

No pejorative intention from me with the "stressed" word, I find this forum an extraordinarily useful and friendly resource and do not wish to cause offence to you or any other member.

I don't think there was any subjective information in the original post - just an announcement that the projector was being released onto the market - I do think that this is different to advertising - for instance if the guy said "now available in x shop for y price" then I would find that objectionable. If you are genuinely concerned about sponsorship then just kill it and lets get back to opinions problems and solutions.

Regards,

Sean G.

Lex

I find this forum an extraordinarily useful and friendly resource and do not wish to cause offence to you or any other member.

Glad you enjoy the forum theritz. I am sure no-one took offence, if you want to see people take offence you should see juboy's posts! :D

lynx

Senior Moderator
ouch :D

Ian J

Banned
I seem to be in a minority as I don't like it. To my mind it's nothing more than a free advert and if we let someone get away with such blatant advertising we might as well let everyone in and lose all of the sponsorship.

Zone

Originally posted by Spectre
I'm in two minds whether to delete your first post or not.
The problem with it is that we don't allow retailers or manufacurers/distributors to advertise their own products. In that respect your post breaks the forum rules as it clearly sounds like an advert.

Stuart a rule is a rule surely! If you are going to allow it to be broken by one then whats the point in having it in the first place?
As I'm typing this I can see Gordons ad doing its stuff at the top of the screen (and hifi bitz! dont want to be accused of favouritism) to which he has paid (I presume) hard earned cash for, seems a bit unfair to me :(

mikeaitch

I wonder how many of these posts have been disguised in the past as " An associate/friend/little bird told me...."

There may well be a case against these types of posts, but I think that most forum members, particularly those on the point of purchase, would be glad to hear of imminent products in order to avoid the "If only I'd known" syndrome
Personally, I agree with the earlier opinion from Theritz; Make sure they're short, factual, and if it leads to too many- ban them or move them to their own area.

Banners are much more likely to be seen- as long as these types of posts cannot be repeated in multiple threads/ forums they will only be seen by members interested in the specific thread subject. There have been, after all, 280+ viewings at time of writing on the thread...

Just a thought

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
HI,

Personally, I'd pull the posting, warn the poster that it does technically count as an advert, regardless of whether they are intending to profit from it or not, and make sure that ANY advertising of any kind, asssociated with a company must be paid for!

Sorry, but as others have said, why have the rules in place, if someone can just sideways out of them, and get free advertising?!

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Sky, NOW and Paramount+ UK for September 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Pro-Ject Audio launches X2 B turntable
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Clearaudio launches Reference Jubilee turntable