1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H31 vs Panasonic PT-AE700 in 720p

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dasb00t, Jul 12, 2005.

1. dasb00t

dasb00t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 options for my projector. H31 and AE700. Currently H31 is ahead, becouse of better colours, better contrast etc. But my concern is how much worse (or is it worse?) H31 is when it comes to HDTV. Soon there will be Xbox360 and PS3 which has 720p - minimum. My projector usage will be around 60% for playing those things. And therefore around 60% of my usage is HD.

In projector central Panny vs Optoma it said that Optoma is suprisingly good with HDTV. I got impression from that review that the image with HDTV in H31 is almost as good as in Panasonic. How can that be? Panny is a native 720p and H31 is not.

Now I would say H31 is leading with 65/35. Does that gaming with 720p turn the score to Panny in your oppinion?

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Because unless you've got really good eyesight and are sitting close a normal person at normal sitting distances has a really hard time telling the difference in resolution between the two projectors when feed a hdtv source.

Add to that the H31 is much better in terms of contrast and black level and it becomes a bit of a no brainer.

Having said all that. If you intend to use if for x360 gaming then you really ought to think about getting a hdready projector.

3. dasb00t

dasb00t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cyberheater. My choises are AE700 or H31 (H30a in europe). Others are too expensive for me. And yes, I intend to play a lot X360 and PS3 games in the future with the projector I'm going to buy. In my oppinion Optoma is better in every aspect ecxept that resolution. Regular DVD's would look better with H31, TV would look better with H31, but then there are those games... I got this following comment from Projector Central:

When it comes to HDTV, we again compared the H31 to the AE700. The H31 handles an HD signal surprisingly well – scaling is handled beautifully, with few artifacts and little blurring. While the H31 lacks the physical resolution to display HDTV in its full capacity, the fact that it could compete as well as it did with the AE700 is remarkable. The H31 does an outstanding job displaying high-definition signals for an entry-level machine in this price range.

Hmmm...it's really hard to choose. :confused:

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Have you seen them in action side-by-side? Like they did on TV with the Infocus 4805 (similar to H31) and the Hitachi PJTX100 (similar to AE700). The TX100 was preferred. Which could suggest there's not as much of a gulf in PQ performance between them after all.

With HD sources imminent I'd go for a HD capable machine. If you don't, you'll only end up doing it anyway in the next 6 months or so...PJ :)

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    I suggest go and get a demo and make up your own mind on these things, not getting hung up on technicalities, but instead carefully considering what you're seeing on screen. After all, you're the one paying the money, and you're the one having to live with it afterwards. Poring over spec sheets is nowhere near as nice as watching movies, I reckon.

Having done the above myself I'm buying a Sanyo Z3 today, hopefully.

Regards

Mark

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    HDTV is as much about the higher resolution as it is for the much lower compression rates used. So both projectors will gain from the lower compression, hence both will show much better pictures compared to the same material on DVD.

The 720p LCD will gain from the image being 720p resolution (or more), but there again uses LCD technology so loses out on detail earned from higher contrast (black detail on black clothing etc being far clearer on the DLP than the LCD). All in all, screw the theory and go see with your own eyes!!!

7. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I had a demo a few months ago of 4805 in Sevenoaks, Witham, they switched 1080 satellite feed from the Pioneer plasma into the 4805, I must not have 'golden eyes', I aready know I've not got 'golden ears..' as I didn't notice that much difference

8. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If you can stretch another £400 or so I would seriously want to check out the BenQ7700. Seriously considering it myself. May not work for your set-up though.

For a bit more dosh (as always) you can have you cake and eat it. A native HD DLP.

Always demo (if you can) in the flesh though.