1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H31 & DIY Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ted_Saint, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Ted_Saint

Ted_Saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Optoma H31 & DIY Screen

Hi all. I'd been committed to eventually going with a 51" JVC D-ILA rear projection at $3500 (Canadian). I briefly considered front projection some time ago, but dismissed it with high prices and unwanted room-altering screen-setups.

Now I'm committed to the Optoma H31 16:9 DLP projector ($1500 CAN), strictly for DVD (no HDTV); and a portable DIY "screen". My wife doesn't like the idea of a huge screen for day-to-day TV, so I've proposed we keep our 32" JVC D-Series in its current location and set up the projector and screen only for movie nights/weekends.

I've decided to go with a "constant height" design and will use black "manual curtaining" on the sides of the screen to horizontally frame all the different aspect ratios of my DVD collection (1.33 - 2.35). The top and bottom will be timmed 1"-2" in the same material.

The screen area will be painted flat-white to start, with a sponge roller for a smooth finish. I may later opt for aluminum/silver. I'd originally thought foam-board or MDF, as some others have used, but suddenly realized the potential of a "slab" door (78" x 34").

With the H31 at 10', the projected area for 2.35 aspect movies will be roughly 72" x 30" (78" diagonal). This smaller size should provide an extra bright image and still be appropriate for our planned viewing distance of 12'. As my screen will be "set" on the TV stand (in front of the TV), the door thickness would also provide a stable base with no other supports needed.

I am eager to enjoy my collection as they were meant to be seen, but would appreciate any comments you may have; so I may assure my wife I consulted the "pros", before spending our hard-earned Canadian bucks!

Regards,

Wayne St.Onge
    (Ted_Saint)

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good luck with your project, esp. your constant height screen. I'm sure you'll be knocked out by the results. My only comment is that the screen doesn't sound that portable!
    ...PJ :)

3. Ted_Saint

Ted_Saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I won't be carrying the "screen door" anywhere but between the family room and adjacent basement (for storage)!

Could take it out the back door and set up a little "drive in" off the back patio...

Wayne :)

4. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could always hinge it off the ceiling and paint the back to match the existing ceiling, keeping the wife happy, the hernias at bay and the screen in the correct position all the time. Using a couple of those push to lock type catches in the ceiling should see you right.