1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optoma H30A Performance With An Old DVD Player

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chestnut, Feb 9, 2005.

1. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im looking at buying either an optoma H30A or infocus 4805. I've posted previouly to explore the possibility of using my PC as a source but the long cable runs could give me trouble. So the next option is to use my 3 year old Sony DVP S735D DVD player connected to the PJ with component video out cables.

Although the player is great for music and good performer with my TV the fact its not got progressive scan or any mention of De-interlacing im concerned it will be a poor source for my new PJ. Im not sure to be honest if the PJ will be able to cover my DVD players short falls or if this proposal is simply a none starter.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Have no fear. The Infocus 4805 has a top of the line Faroudja De-interlacer/progressive scanner so in most cases, sending an interlaced signal from a DVD player yeilds better images than sending a progressive image anyway. You'd need to look at spending £500+ to buy a DVD player with better video processing than the Faroudja. Infact, the Faroudja in the 4805 is exactly the same as in their top of the range 7205 which was retailing for close to £5k !!!
    So long as you have component, then that's just fine and dandy mate !

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As an ex 735 owner I can advise you that you will get a superb image from the DVD deck if connected via component. Let the PJ deinterlace the image.

The 735 was and still is a FANTASTIC dvd deck that very little other players around at that time could touch for picture and sound quality. In fact I only replaced mine as it died - the picture would skip occasionally so I let my ex have it. She now has it under her widescreen...I mean come on, a £500.00 DVD deck for nout :( Lucky girl.

Cap :)

4. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for all the help.

Glad to see the sony DVD players not ready for the scrap heap just yet although I still believe I could have a problem with the Optoma H30A. I've looked through the spec on the web and can't see any reference to any onboard De-interlacing or progressive scan. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

5. nwhitta

nwhitta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting question. I would also like to se the answer as I'm looking to buy a PJ and 4805 and H30A are currently top of my list.

In addition to the specific question about de-interlacing, can someone answer a more general question.

As DVDs are recorded in 480 resolution, is there any advantage in buying a hgher resolution PJ if the main use will be for playing DVDs?

Any other comments on H30A vs 4805 debate?

6. nwhitta

nwhitta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    See attached comment on H31 from USA website Projector Central
    " The H31 features a Pixelworks video scaler, deinterlacer, and advanced HD scaling, which significantly optimizes video processing and frame-by-frame smoothness to unleash every aspect of the video as it was intended to be viewed"

Is Pixelworks as good as Faroudja?
    Is H31 US version of H30A?

7. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Ive got the earlier H30 and take it from me the pixelworks unit works very well, I havent seen a projector with the legendary faroudja deinterlacer but I doubt it's that much better if at all.

And yes the H30A is often referred to as the H31 in the US

MikeD

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    chestnut

What output are you using from your PC - Analogue or Digital?

There shouldn't be too many potential problems using long cables as long as your careful with your choice of cable - how long are the required cable runs?

As others have said I wouldn't go binning your DVD player before you try it out with the projector.

The on board Pixelworks 'Projector Solutions' Video Processor in the H30A may not have the 'Kudos' or Badge Appeal of a Faroudja but its still a mighty fine chip set - I cant say for sure which of the Pixelworks Projector Solutions processors is embedded in the H30A (there are five available); I'll try and confirm for you.

See http://www.pixelworks.com/

Whilst it would seem 'obvious' that a 480 line source will be ideal for a 480 line display device its often the case that over sampling the source material and then down sizing it in the Display device produces better results; we find this true for both Plasma Display and Projectors.

If your PC has a DVI output then it well worth trying that option out with the H30A - I've installed a few of the ThemeScene's and so far and just about every customer has had a 'legacy' DVD player and a PC with DVI and the PC solution has worked best almost every time.

Best regards

Joe

9. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

Thanks for the advice. My pc spec is as follows Petium 2.8Gz with 1.5Gb Ram with a radeon 9800 pro graphics card. This has a DVI-I output that will connect to the DVI-D socket on the H30A. To be honest even if I use my old DVD player with component I may still run a cable from my pc for games.

To answeer your second questions the cable length from my pc to projector will run to a min of 10m without creating any trip hazards.

Its good to hear that Optoma has onboard De-interlacing etc. It seems like the perfect choice for me atm. Good future proofing, light (stud walls poor for shelving), quiet, good blacks, smooth picture, shallow enough to sit on a shelve, good throw ratio (room only 3.6m wide) and great value. Im just got to arrange a trip to my brothers to demo his 4805 just to make sure im not picking up any rainbows of the DLP chip set.

All the best.

Chestnut

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello chestnut

I really cant see 10m being a problem - see http://www.hdmiplanet.com/dimadvca12me.html

Not only are the ThemeScene projectors very quiet the noise they do produce is at a lower frequency/tone than many I've heard - though of course having a quiet projector lets you hear just how noisy the rest of your kit is; I was out with an H77 last night and the customers PC and PS2 made an absolute racket :)

Best regards

Joe

11. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    One other point is that ONLY NTSC DVDs have 480 lines of res, PAL DVDs have 576 lines of resolution. The biggest difference you'll notice with selecting a higher res projector is the lack of 'screendoor' or visible pixels as they are smaller in higher res projectors. That's why High Definition will be so good when viewed with a 720p projector. You'll have very fine pixel structure and no scaling will be needed when viewing a 720 HD signal.
    Oh I'm drooling at the thought !!!