Optoma H30 - Throw it in the bin???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Zag, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    A bit harsh perhaps but is this the best course of action for an Optoma H30 with a suspected blown bulb??

This was my 1st projector now owned by a friend and all he is getting now is an amber warning light in start-up and he suspects as do I that its just the bulb that has gone. However it could be something more expensive to put right... :(

A new bulb costs around £180 but if this doesn't fix it may have been better to buy a complete new budget replacement projector around the £350 mark.

Is there anyway to confirm and test that the bulb is actually at fault????

If its just the bulb the PJ is probably worth saving if not, the H30 is probably best off in the bin...

2. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Even if it is the bulb, you'd be better off sacking the '30 and getting a brand new HD65, as the quality of picture is stunning.

£400 really does buy you a superb HD projector capable of humiliating any commercial cinema if you have a half decent screen and a surround setup.

Have a think and see if you can get one demo'ed.

Cheers,

Mike

3. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If it were me, the H30 would be in the bin.

However my more budget conscious friend was just wondering if there was a way to confirm if the fault is solely with the bulb and not a PSU or something else.

Thing is cost to repair could end up being £200+ no problem when a new fully warranted HD65 costs around £400.

Difficult decision.

4. skipton01

skipton01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    If you can remove the bulb unit, it may be possible to see the filament, and so it'll then become pretty obvious as to whether it's blown or not.

Does the manual not give an explanation as to the meaning of the light on start-up?

Cheers,

Mike

5. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I seem to recall that it does. My mate has taken the bulb unit out but hasn't been able to notice anything obvious.

I'll get him to bring it in to work and I'll have a closer look.