optoma H27 and sky

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tjspt, Aug 15, 2005.

1. tjspt

tjspt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are looking to install a home cinema projector in our lounge,however the sky box is in the family room at the back of the house,what is the best way to connect the sky to the projector,we have the sky wired to every room with the normal cable you just plug into the back of a tv ,HELP needed.We are thinking of the optoma H27 any advice on this and where to buy grately appreciated

tim

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I'm afraid you won't be able to just stick an aerial connection into the projector - it doesn't have an internal tuner and the picture will be absolutely awful anyway. Ideally you want to move the Sky box to the room the projector is in or take out a Sky multiroom contract or similar. If this really isn't feasible then you can use a VCR as a tuner to use an aerial connection if you have one, or a dedicated tuner from the likes of Avermedia. But I repeat, the quality will be very poor.

Was Sky ever originally wired into this lounge and/or do you happen to have more than one aerial point in there??? There may be scope to move the Sky box without having to run any new cables, just reterminating existing ones slightly differently.

3. tjspt

tjspt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for your reply,we looked at a tuner from keane electronics would this work (sorry cant remember model) it said you can attach sky,tv,games console,dvd,video etc.Just asked a a projector co and they said because sky box has its own tuner it will work ? Becoming very confused !!!!!

4. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Scart to VGA using the supplied adaptor. Set the Skybox to output RGB. If you need to extend the cable then do so on the VGA side.

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Correct. Having recommended that though I have an h30a and i have found that there are a few slight sync issues using sky with this projector and it is definately not my projector as it works fine with my dvd player using the same adapter. Maybe a different projector would be better suited if you intend to use it with sky on a regular basis.

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Interesting.... both signals (sky and DVD) are going to be exactly the same RGB + sync feeds so this technically shouldn't be the case. But I'm wondering if your Sky box has a bit of a low voltage output on the sync (other makes of Sky boxes may not so best be sure before claiming a total incompatibility!). How long was your cable and did you try a short one just to rule out losing sync over the length??

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used the vga to scart adapter and plugged it straight into the sky box, at first i had used a 3 metre scart cable but it was WAY out of sync. I am not ruling out that it didn't happen on my dvd player as well because the more i think about it i haven't used my standalone dvd player that much as i play dvds through my PC. The sync issue is subtle and is noticable on the sky channel banner as you will notice the top half slant 45 degrees to the left then straighten up, samething is noticable on the very top part of the image but it also happens various parts of the image but is easy enough not to notice if you dont actively look for it. Easy to spot watching cartoons though for whatever reason, must be those basic one colour backgrounds.

8. tjspt

tjspt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies but i still dont really understand, can some one please advise what i need to make this work.Sky is in the family room,we have a spitter in the loft feeding sky to all rooms.The lounge is approx 25ft away from the sky box.Any help would be greatly appreciated