optoma h180x and 2.35.1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by troopa9, Feb 19, 2014.

1. troopa9

troopa9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im looking to buy this projector soon and im thinking of going with a 2.35:1 screen.
    My question is does that projector support this ratio and how will it look setup?
    I know that when it displays 16:9 content it will show bars on the sides but when displaying 2.35:1 will it fit the screen perfectly or will it still have bars at the top and bottom (off the screen) as the projector is native 16:9.

2. Chinstroke

Chinstroke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Looking at the specs on that projector, the zoom ratio is not enough to allow you to zoom between 16:9 and 2.35 on a scope screen so you would need to look for a projector with a larger zoom range.

3. troopa9

troopa9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any recommendations. In the same price bracket?

Also.. am I correct in how this method works.
    If I display a 2.35:1 image onto a 2.35:1 screen and zoom, the image will fill the screen but the bars above and below would still be there but off the screen and not as visible?
    And if I display a 16:9 onto the same screen, I would need to zoom back out but now have void area on the sides?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. Chinstroke

Chinstroke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    You are correct in your assumptions of how this works. With regards to suggestions for projectors. I have an Epson TW3200 which I bought secondhand. The reason I chose this is that it has a wide zoom ratio along with Len shift which allows for flexible placement. The lens shift is important for Scope viewing as you will likely find that as you rezoom, the image will move slightly up or down the screen and so the lens shift allows you to re centre it.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    For 2.35 CIH, you'll need a pj with a zoom ratio of at least 1.33:1, preferably more to make sure it has the range within the limits of the spec (maybe +-5%), and lens shift too.

Gary