Optoma GT750 3D or something else for my room?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kopmjj, Sep 19, 2013.

1. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi im not sure if i can utilize short throw projector fro my room and i need advice.

i have almost made my mind up about this projector and it just fits in my 500 quid budget for a 3d projector.

but my room isnt that big or i have limited space.

basically i have attached a diagram of roughly how my room looks like and would like to know can i put the projector on a small table at 3.3 feet or celing mount from 5ft from the screen/wall? and be able to watch from my seating postion without the projector getting in the way?

basically how low can you put a projector on a table and be able to view on the wall?
    if i celing mount it can the projector be almost at light level high? or does it have to be dead center and low hight? i mean i dont want to look at the screen and have the projector in front of my view if you know what i mean?

i know i sound daft but im not very experienced when it comes to projectors.

the only experiance ive had before was hd 600x and it had a long throw so i can put it behind my seating area but higher than my head so my shadow doesnt get in the way.

plz check my rough diagram thanks.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,067
    Yes you can place it in both positions as when on a table it will project up and when on a ceiling it will project down. The off set varies depending on the distance. From 3.36ft away you get a 66" diagonal screen with 5.25" offset.
    Check screen sizes here; http://www.optoma.co.uk/distancecalc.aspx

3. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    hi im thinking maybe getting benq w1070 3d projector, and the trhow distance is a bit better from 11 ft i will get about 120 to 130 inch screen which is good.

but i was thinking i will get a projector stand as i can mount on celing.

i was thinking placing the projector stand behind the bed and push the bed forward a little 2 inches maybe and rest the projector upside down and then invert?

but is it safe to have a projector projecting upside down? i have never done this and always thought it will damage the PJ?

is this true when mounting or placing PJ high up or 1 meter down from the ceiling it will project upwards? so in order to lower the picture on wall i will have to mount or place it upside down? basically i dont want the picture on the wall to high or too low i just want it in the centre.

i was thinking getting these stand to put behind the bed. Adam Hall SKDB039 Adjustable Monitor Speaker Stand PA Systems, Speakers, Amplifiers | Laser Disco Lights, Band Stage Lighting - Astounded

i dont want to mount in anyway so something like this is my only choice.

plz advice thanks.

4. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,067
    It depends where the air vents are on the model you have. If they are on the top you won't be able to use that mount in the way you are suggesting. Projectors are designed to be hung upside down or upright so it wouldn't damage it if upside down. But when upside down it needs to be as high as possible it would project down(there is a setting in the menu).

5. kopmjj

kopmjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    ok say for example on the Optoma GT750 if i place it on the floor flat from 3ft as an example how how high will it project the picture from the floor?

i can still place the benq PJ behind the bed on a stand but will be head high when sitting down and im afraid my head will be in the way and i will see shadows on the picture.

im just trying to figure out how to set up, go short throw or long throw but im so confused.

6. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,067
    The bottom will start about 5" above the centre of the lens.

7. riddler118

riddler118
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got the gt760 and found it to be ideal for confined spaces sits just right on my bedroom draws about 2 metres from wall and fills complete wall but when using downstairs i have it about 1.5 meters from my screen but projector has to be about a metre off the floor to get the picture to fit my screen
    dont know where your from but if anywhere near darlington you welcome to come have a look lol
    can also check my post for pic in bedroom of projector in situ

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  8. hati

hati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I think that most projectors are designed to be used hanging from ceiling upside down projecting the top of image at same level as bottom of projector with the ability to turn image uside down for table installation.

If the projector you buy has enough lens shift you can put it on the stand in your link with no problem (providing that you sit/lay in bed low enough that you or your feet won't get in your way), I don't know of those DLP machines that you intend to buy but my current old LCD sits on top of cabinet highrer than 1.5m and I had no problem getting the picture low enough..