Optoma GT720 Owners Tread, Settings, pictures and 3D hardware setups

henrik-t

Established Member
Reaction score
Optoma GT720 Owners for Settings and 3D hardware setups, For all GT720 related like setting, setups and hardware for 3D playback

Hallo,

I wanted to combine all those random treads on this Optoma GT720, Optoma EW533ST/DW531ST as i see a lot of ppl got it now why not have a one stop tread for all the newcomers and for sharing settings, 3D setups and view on this model.

I get about 100" screen from a Throw @ 1.3/1.4 Meters, and i plan on using it for 3D Blu rays, Whit out the d3-XL 3D link box, the way i plan to connect it all is,
From a HTPC > HDMI> Optoma GT720 in DLP 3D mode,
DLP glasses "Ultra clear 3D heaven DLP glasses" they about the same as the Optoma or Xpand DLP glasses just cheaper: :thumbsup:
Ill fully update this tread when i get the glasses from the u.s they are in the Mail...

YouTube - ‪Optoma 720 GameTimel‬‏

YouTube - ‪Optoma 720 GameTimel‬‏

My setting :

are for now just factory setting in > Movie < mode, i haven't got around to change a lot of stuff yet as i haven't fixed the PJ yet, i think tho that movie and game Mode settings are the best out of box, Game mode for ambient light, and movie mode for rooms whit no or low light gives a better picture, and i have the lamp mode to std for longer life.

My setup :

Optoma GT720
HTPC /core i5 760 /AMD HD6870 *10.12 Driver /Blu ray drive /4gb Ram / >Connected via Hdmi to the GT720 in 720p @ 120Hz for 3D or normal 60Hz for normal 2D.
Hdmi cable are a 10m high quality one
Software is TotalMedia Theatre 5
3D glasses are Ultra clear DLP from 3D heaven

My thoughts on Blu ray Movies are they look good in 720p - 1080p scaled down, but oc this is not the best 720p PJ out there but it do combine a lot of useful and neat stuff, like 3D gaming and 3Dmovies , whit a really Short throw ontop.
So picture quality are fair for the money spend "i gave 590 Euro for it, from Germany import" , ill post some un-useful pictures of the screen soon, just because we all like to see them.^^

For 3D once i set it to 720p @ 120Hz in the Amd CCC panel the 3D modes are unlocked, DLP Mode >Nvidea Vision Mode, you cant access the modes whit out @ 120Hz input.

Ill upload some pictures when i get a chance to take some, that will be soon tho,
So post your Setting , Setups, and Pictures if you want too, have a good time whit the GT720.^^^
tongue.gif
It sold at Scan for 537£

Hers a Youtube video of a French guy that test the GT720 in BD , patterns and Grey,gamma ect.

http://www.youtube.com/user/octave54?blend=23&ob=5#p/u/0/-daj18lQGoI

Disclaimer; from what i have gathered the Optoma EW533ST Projector planet and OPTOMA DW531ST @ 399 from RS are the same internals, and the RS one have a different name bc its only a 1year warranty, thats what the optoma support told me,
if you got one of those do post your findings in this tread too, 3D, picture quality and settings.

Brightness (Lumens) : 2500 ANSI
Eco-Mode (Lumens): 2000 ANSI
Contrast (Full On/Off) : 3000:1
Variable Iris: No
Audible Noise: 30.0 dB
Eco-Mode: 28.0 dB
Weight: 2.9 kg
Size (cm) (HxWxD) : 10 x 32 x 23
Std. Lens: Focus:
Manual
Zoom: No
Throw Dist (m) : 0.5 - 5.0
Image Size (cm) : 82 - 819
Optional Lenses: No
Digital Zoom: **
Digital Keystone: Vertical
Lens Shift: No
Warranty: 1 Year
Performance:
H-Sync Range: **
V-Sync Range: **
3D Projector: 3D Ready
3D Glasses Type: Shutter
Compatibility:
HDTV: 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60
576i, 576p
EDTV/480p: Yes
SDTV/480i: Yes
Component Video: Yes
Video: Yes
Digital Input: HDMI
Computers: Yes
Display: Type:
2 cm DLP (1)
Color Wheel Segs: **
Color Wheel Speed: **
Native: 1280x800 Pixels
Maximum: 1600x1200 Pixels
Aspect Ratio: 16:10 (WXGA)
Light Source: Type:
180W P-VIP
Life: 3000 hours
Eco-Mode Life: 5000 hours
Quantity: 1
Speakers: 5.0 W × 2
Max Power: 255W
Voltage: 100V - 240V
FCC Class: B
Special: 3D Projection
Short-Throw
RS232 Port
First Ship: Jun 2010

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for this new thread, henrik-t. I bought DW531ST which actually is EW533ST as it says on the projector itself. I am using ZD201 glasses and no 3d-xl box. Using it with my PC, 3D looks good with both games and movies. 3d depth is great however I cant see any pop out effect while playing 3d movie using Nvidia 3d setup. Played only couple of games, had same issue depth is great but no pop out effect again. As far as 2D its lacking comparing with my HD65. Maybe due to settings/calibration as its hrad to find any reviews with settings calibration for this model.

Thanks

oki, great so the optoma guy was right, did you then only get 1 year of warranty..!? its still a smashing price @ 399

Are u sure you get it into Real 3D and not only algorithm 3d!? what player are you using. theres some setting you can play whit think its f6-f7 to control some 3d settings... ill look it up.

Compared to HD65, what modes are you using and how do you think it compares, a lot worse or just a little? and what signal are you feeding it, 720p or 1080p i have tried both and for some movies i like 720p and others 1080p depends on how grainy the movie is.

do you watch in light room whit white walls, as its a real lighthouse whit 3000 lumen's, can look a little Grey in the blacks if it s a total whit room, i think you can calibrate this to give a better picture too, but price and usage i think its good value for money, i read that picture in 3D get better, maby bc its more dim in that mode and its basically HD66-67 internals, but different bulp and lens

i just had my HD player strait into it and watched Bourne 2 was great oki picture and colors where nice to look at, and then i got to teat the inbuild speakers, nothing much but nice to have if needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, For 3D I have tryed PDVD11, TMT5 trials, some sbs player free download and NV3d Player. Tryed genrally in low or no ambient light. I have tryed "3d side by side" stuff, but no pop out effect.

As for as 2d is concern same low or no ambient light. HD picture quality is aceptable however Non HD stuff is not good enough. I have tryed varios settings on Projector and on player but no real joy using hd65 as refernce point. I think this projector is not designed for movies as games look cool in
2d aswell.

I think I need to return it and may be try H5360 or HD600x. Again not sure which one of the above 2 is also better for 2D.

Cant answer that, but sure if you dont "need" the short throw, ill go for the acer, and the newer Acer5360BD as its 1.4a Hdmi so its more future proof in that range of price, so you can use every player to playback 3D.

Myself i need the throw for my bedroom, i have another PJ in the living area, sure its a little better pic Q, but for the price and as i need the short throw, nothing beats is currently.. i just love i got 100" from 1.3 meters and forgive the pic q vs my other PJ, tho i think its not way behind^^ and its 1:1 pixel mapping from PC too so thats cool.

Ohh its rather silent too , the fans aren't that aggressive as my other PJ and thats a big plus in a small room .

i just got the Legend of the Guardians - 3D Super Play, and using TMT5 it kicks into 3D easily, and not the big hassle you read on other PJ where they need reg hacks and other emulators to simulate some mode, so thats great, now im just waiting for my glasses to arrive from u.s :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very interesting thread chaps! Can't seem to find the 720 online in many places, I think I'm going to have to go for a short throw machine, so will probably be either of one of these bad boys or the impending 750. Any other owners out there, who fancy giving a bit of a review please?

Very interesting thread chaps! Can't seem to find the 720 online in many places, I think I'm going to have to go for a short throw machine, so will probably be either of one of these bad boys or the impending 750. Any other owners out there, who fancy giving a bit of a review please?

the impending 750 ? what do you know about this ? i really need a short throw and i keep coming back to wanting the gt720 or the similars such as the dw531st from richer sound and the dw533st which is ment t be the same unit. i cant find any of them to buy and would love to know if there still making them or not.

the impending 750 ? what do you know about this ? i really need a short throw and i keep coming back to wanting the gt720 or the similars such as the dw531st from richer sound and the dw533st which is ment t be the same unit. i cant find any of them to buy and would love to know if there still making them or not.

Not much mate to be honest. Just had a look at google, and read about the gt720 which this seems to supercede. The one at Richers interested me, but my local branch (Chester) has no stock annoyingly! That's why I'm thinking about the 750, as it's a new model, hopefully will be able to arrange a demo, and touch wood, the price might not be too high either!

Not much mate to be honest. Just had a look at google, and read about the gt720 which this seems to supercede. The one at Richers interested me, but my local branch (Chester) has no stock annoyingly! That's why I'm thinking about the 750, as it's a new model, hopefully will be able to arrange a demo, and touch wood, the price might not be too high either!

would be good as i really need short throw... my local richersounds dont have it either gutted. and it sold for 350 a few months ago.

would be good as i really need short throw... my local richersounds dont have it either gutted. and it sold for 350 a few months ago.

Youtube has some reviews of the gt720 on there, and it certainly seemed a good option, so just hope the 750 is better still... If memory serves me correctly there is an upgrade in the specs, but for the life of em I can't remember what it is :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom