Quantcast

Question OPTOMA GT5000

thevr6

So im looking for a projector for under £1k, to be used mainly for Sky 80%, films 15% and ps4 5% of the time.

Iv seen the above projector but which would be ideal for easy of install etc. What does everyone think of it? I cant find a single review or post on it yet?

thevr6

No one seen it?

thevr6

Iv also seen the LG pf1000u....but again not many reviews and nothing on here about it?

flyingscotsman

Novice Member
Likewise, I've noticed those two models but haven't found many reviews yet. They are both pretty new so it may take a while for reviews to filter out.

They both have plus and minus points, think they make an easy solution for using a projector where setup/wiring could be an issue.

The LG has a much lower lumen output which wouldn't be so good for lights on viewing (if you're talking about 80% tv viewing how much light control do you have in your room?), yet at the same time it uses an LED light source so is more suited as a TV replacement in terms of longevity. The LG model also integrates smart tv features which is pretty cool.

The optoma is bigger, offers much higher lumen output and more powerful onboard speakers (although personally I'd be looking at using external speakers). So maybe better during the day, plus arguably looks better?

Have you seen the Elite Screens Aeon CLR? It's an ambient screen made specifically for ultra short throw projectors. Again it's pretty new out so no reviews that I've seen and may be tricky to source in the UK. Looks like a pretty cool solution though!

Rich

thevr6

Hi buddy

Yeah it will be interesting to see the reviews on both when they start coming through.

I could get rid of most light so thats not an issue and i have a onkyo/kef setup so sound wise i wouldnt be using anything built in.

I was lookig at the Optima pull up screen just for ease of use really as i could store it behind the tv cabinet when not being used and then pop it up when i wanted. I had a look at the elite website, worst website ever!! Lol. Literally all links for me go back to the homepage. You make a good point about using a dedicated UST screen because the normal screens are designed to reflect light from straight on not from under at an angle.

Im gonner keep my eye out for the reviews i think and maybe pop into a Richersounds to see if any are demo ready (Optima).

flyingscotsman

Novice Member
If you manage to get a demo on the Optima then report back with your impressions and pics if possible :) I'm swayed by the extra functionality of the LG (LED, smart tv, magic remote, bluetooth and optical out etc) but I worry about the lack of brightness.

The elite website works ok for me on a mac using safari, I did a live chat which was useless however! Obviously just a live chat agent who doesn't actually work for them, I found out the screen has just been launched and isn't even available on their own web shop. I wouldn't imagine it was overly pricey though. The only alternative I've seen is the screen innovations one, which will be thousands!

thevr6

Theres also a gt5500 which has another 500 lumens...

thevr6

Ha yeah I did see the Sony,wow! If theres one in the classifieds for under £1k il take it but that prob wont be for 20 years lol

cooldude_ln

Novice Member
Did you buy? am also looking to buy gt5000, post your first thoughts if so.

thevr6

Hi. No im going to wait until there are reviews and more info on them first!

thevr6

Has anyone seen one working yet?

pulp1

Standard Member
Hi Im also interested in these two.
Seen a few reviews for LG but nothing on Optoma. Is Optoma bluetooth? Trying to avoid all the cables and wires so was gonna get an external bluetooth speaker.

Heres some LG stuff fyi

Techmoan - Techmoan - LG PF1000U Minibeam Ultra Short Throw Projector - Home Demonstration

The guy on there talks about an EU model without smart features and Trumotion.
Sounds good cos currently its about £1400

Heres another review:

LG Minibeam Ultra Short Throw Projector With Smart TV (PF1000U)

thevr6

How is it Terry? I cant find any reviews

terry2659

I can't comment as never got around to using it. I've owned a few optoma projectors over the years and they've been pretty similar in performance. I would guess that it'll perform just as well as their current crop of long throw projectors up to £1000 with the specs.

thevr6

Pics look good. Whats your thoughts on it?

daza18

great projector for ultra throw
big in size
with my gt760 had to pull the Chester draw out to enlarge the picture
with this I don't

thevr6

Ok. What about quality of pic?

thevr6

Have you got any vids of it working bud?

daza18

its going to optoma for repair
when the screen is projected the picture is wavy top half
il do one once they return it

thevr6

Thats not good!

daza18

Yes just like that
Like a curve on top and in a menue. Its the same
I sent optoma a picture and they said it dosent look right
Mine going for repair
Bet they are all like that

thevr6

Is it that off-putting? If they are all like that then maybe its the technology? In sure the sony £20k version doesnt though! Lol

Apart from that how was the pic quality etc? Did you get a chance to have a proper play with it?

daza18

Had a play
It is off putting. The wavy bit affects the picture at the to
If you put the projector menu on it sorst of curves inwards

thevr6

Cool. Good luck. I have heard optoma are pretty good with support so should be a quick turnaround.

kinappy

Novice Member
Is it that off-putting? If they are all like that then maybe its the technology? In sure the sony £20k version doesnt though! Lol

Apart from that how was the pic quality etc? Did you get a chance to have a proper play with it?

One of this reason I got this was to be able to use also with my laptop, PS4. The curve is so bad that if my browser is maximized to fullscreen then I can't see the address bar so it's very off-putting, enough that I'm sending it back.

I have never owned a beamer before so I can't compare with anything else and I only tried it on my living room wall which is beige in colour and not a smooth wall. My living room has two energy saving light bulbs.

Although it's not the quality of my regular TV I would say even with those lights on I would have been happy to use it as a replacement but I'm not really a person who sits and watches TV, I normally just turn on and walk away and listen. The beamer was more to use elsewhere when my wife and kids are watching TV so I could go somewhere quiet and game.

It's back in the box now ready to send back. If you have any questions I'll try to answer based on my lack on beamer knowledge and the few hours I use it.

I'm dissapointed but at the same time I'm still not really sure if I just want my money back or a fully working gt5000, I do think it could be exactly what I'm looking for.

Fallout 4 PS4 but my camera is not doing it any justice

Last edited:

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips OLED burn-in solution is 95 percent effective
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips TV’s with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision IQ due in time
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonos clarifies product update and recycling position
  • By Andy Bassett