1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optoma ep 759

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Baza999, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Baza999

Baza999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody, does anybody know anything about the optoma ep 759 pj ?
    i.e. how does it compare with other around the same price.
    Im thinking of buying one but cannot see anything in this forum about this one.. Thanks in advance
    Baza

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Baza,

What will you be using your projector for ?

Only the 759 is a bit of a light canon at 3500 ansi lumens and is not going to be a good choice for home use. Rainbows may well be an issue for you on a projector this bright.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. Baza999

Baza999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,thank for the reply, i currently own a sony vpl cs4 and am not happy with it as i cant seem to run anything apart from a computer showing dvd's through it, i was looking to up grade, i dont know much about pj's so i have to be lead here. (Home use only ie tv and films through it) . Thanks Baza

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Baza,

The best advice I can give you is to dem a few projectors in your price range. Get to see some DLP units if you can to see if colour separation (rainbows) is an issue for you. DLP units with at least 6 segment 5 speed colour wheels are preferable as these will minimise rainbows.

High brightness units for home use can actually work against you giving you poor black level. 800 to 1000 ansi lumens should give you a bright enough image in a light controlled room on a 7-8ft screen.

5. Baza999

Baza999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for the advise, would you recomend changing to a crt pj ? ie Barco 808s or similar unit, Baza

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Baza

CRTs can give a very pleasing image if properly set up but bear in mind they have to be sited at a specific distance from the screen, normally need professional installation, not very bright (especially compared with an Optoma 759 at 3500 Ansi Lumens) and are big compared to modern LCD and DLP units.