Optoma EH470/EH416e in a home cinema context?

Cruixer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently trying to buy a new projector and posted recently asking about UST, which are not ideal for my living room layout, and my only other viable option is a long throw projector small enough to sit on a bookshelf just behind the seating position. However, it turns out that there are virtually no home cinema projectors that meet my requirement of >1.7 throw ratio, and less than around 27cm depth (to fit on a shelf).

Then I stumbled on the Optoma EH470 and EH416e, which are both marketed at business/eduction, but reading through the specs don't seem that different to a home cinema projector, and they both have the throw ratio I want, and are around 22cm deep. Although I haven't looked at it in detail, the BenQ SH753+ also meets these specs, but curiously is also marketed to business/education.

The only thing in the specs that stands out, in terms of being different from home cinema, is that they are very bright (around 5000 lumens), and I always watch in a fairly dark room, but I figured I could just run in eco mode if too bright.

Is there something I am missing here, or should these work just as well as a normal home cinema projector with similar spec?

Thanks.

Hi,
Just trying to bump this up in the hope that someone knowledgable will be along! :)

Basically I have found a bunch of projectors that meet my depth and throw requirements (Optoma EH470, Optoma EH416e, BenQ SH753+, and at a push the Epson EB-992F), but they are all business projectors with very high lumens (4-5000). I could run them in eco mode, but still concerned they will be too bright as I normally have the room as dark as I can make it when using.

I wasn't looking for a 4k projector, but have just come across the ViewSonic PX727-4K, which I could just about squeeze into the space, and seems a bit more appropriate for movies. There is also a a viewsonic 747 but the 727 seemed like the better spec for darkish room watching movies.

The business ones are a better fit sizewise, but concerned that they would not be ideal in a dark room. The Viewsonic seems to get good reviews, I doubt I will notice the 4k difference at the distance I sit, but as its the same price its not like I am paying extra for it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kenny.

You probably solved this, but I have a projector on top of a tall billy ikea bookshelf mounted on an angled laptop desk mount that:
A. Sets the angle so my projector is not pointing at the ceiling.
B. Allows a more elegant cable management solution
C. The angle adds an couple of inches behind the projector.

I personally think it is non obtrusive, easy to set up and take down and a decent inexpensive solution.

Hi Mootled,
I have had projector on top of a bookcase before, but in this room there is a ceiling light in the way of the throw (its a period room so has an ornate ceiling rose with hanging down chandalir type light).

What I did in the end was to make two, very deep shelves, with strong fixings, and put the projector on the lower one in upright mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom