Optoma 3DXL Av receiver set up

cpgaw

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm buying an Optoma 3d XL to go with my HD67 projector. The problem I have is that my current system is a CRT projector with HD fury with a 9.2 surround sound system running from an Onkyo SR607 receiver. From what I understand, as this is HDMI 1.3 only, it wont support 3D through the receiver (I will have 3d from Sky as well as through my PS3 and bluray player and will also have an xbox 360 linked up so I have four HDMI sources. Do I need to upgrade to the Onkyo SR608 which is 1.4 HDMI compatible or is there another way of having all four sources, including 3d, linked to the projector without having to unplug everything all the time. I've looked and I cant find HDMI 1.4 switches anywhere. I dont want something thats going to be really complicated every time I want to switch between sky, xbox etc. Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested in finding some kind of switch/splitter that's able to send the audio to the AVR while sending the picture directly to the box.

I saw that this is supposed to be able to do this:
HDMI 1.4 Splitter, 2-port - SW-29203, $74.95

However.. It's kind of pricey and not in stock. Wonder how long it will take before there'll be generic chinese units for £25-30..

now i wont know if this will work untill i get mine, i have an onkyo 876 and just got a hd67 and just waiting for my 3dxl. Now sky and 360 3d are hdmi 1.3 so i plan to connect my 360 and sky to my amp and take the amp hdmi output andput this into hdmi 1 on the 3dxl, then i will connect the hdmi from the ps3 direct to hdmi 2 of the 3dxl and connect optical to the amp for audio. The ps3 cant do hd audio and 3d at the same time so i will loose hd audio anyway. So when watching sky 3d switch to the sky source switch the 3d on the projector and 3dxl and hopefully it works. With ps3 i set the ps3 up to send video by hdmi and optical and again select the ps3 source on the amp and i will get audio only as i have no video connected to the amp and then select input 2 on the 3dxl.

Last edited:
now i wont know if this will work untill i get mine, i have an onkyo 876 and just got a hd67 and just waiting for my 3dxl. Now sky and 360 3d are hdmi 1.3 so i plan to connect my 360 and sky to my amp and take the amp hdmi output andput this into hdmi 1 on the 3dxl, then i will connect the hdmi from the ps3 direct to hdmi 2 of the 3dxl and connect optical to the amp for audio. The ps3 cant do hd audio and 3d at the same time so i will loose hd audio anyway. So when watching sky 3d switch to the sky source switch the 3d on the projector and 3dxl and hopefully it works. With ps3 i set the ps3 up to send video by hdmi and optical and again select the ps3 source on the amp and i will get audio only as i have no video connected to the amp and then select input 2 on the 3dxl.
That is the configuration that should be used, 3D-xl after the amp and before PJ.

Just reread the spec on this and you put it before the amp, apparently it takes the 1.4HDMI input and converts it to a 1.3HDMI output. I presume it will be high speed 1.3 hence the limited number of 120hz PJ's that can accept it.

Just reread the spec on this and you put it before the amp, apparently it takes the 1.4HDMI input and converts it to a 1.3HDMI output. I presume it will be high speed 1.3 hence the limited number of 120hz PJ's that can accept it.

If you look at the brochure it says the output goes to the projector , going before the amp may give you problems in switching all your kit, I will try both to see whic works best

Chic have you got a delivery date for yours?

Just jan, amazon are saying 1 to 3 months, so I used projector planet as they are saying jan, they only have 40 coming in and 23 are preordered. I got my hd67 yesterday so just wIting for the 3dxl

I have just replaced my Infocus IN76 with an HD67 and 3DXL. I have found that routing the HDMI signal via the amp gives less than acceptable results. i have just rewired the Sky Hd box directly bypassingthe amp completely. this seems to work very well. I am using optical cable for the audio and do not ahave any lip synch issues. i ned extra glasses and have seen them on Ebay from the USA 4 pairs for just £120. they are fully compatible withthe 3D XL apparently. 3DTV Kit for DLP TV or Projector--EMITTER, 4 GLASSES on eBay (end time 13-Mar-11 20:44:14 GMT)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi matey, how does hd67 fair against the in76 in 2d? I've got the in76 and just sold an optoma ew533st as the 2d was not in the same class as the in76. I fancy 3d but not at the expense of a decent 2d pic.

Cheers nick

The HD67 is not in the same class as the IN76. To be honest i think 3D is a waste of time. i ended up selling the 3D XL on ebay.

Cheers mate, i'll give that a miss then.

you should try and get a demo though, some folk do not like 3d and see it as a fad, however i think its great and have watched tons of 3d stuff. The masters in 3d was superb and the barca real game is in 3d tonight as well. As for 2d i am happy with the hd67, however i have only had 720p dlp projectors and i have never seen any other projectors in action.

however it only supports 2channel audio when setup like this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom