optoma 3d xl and acer revo r3700

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by big hol, Jan 10, 2012.

1. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys need abit of advice, i have a optoma hd600x and im currently in the process of buying the 3d xl addon, waiting to be delivered, what i want to know is, can i hook up my acer revo r3700 to the 3d xl via hdmi and watch 3d content that iv downloaded direct from the projector and the 3d xl, i will also have my dreambox and ps3/blu ray connected to the 3dxl via a hdmi switch but it would be fantastic if i could download all the 3d content onto my revo then watch it straight away through the hd600x and 3d xl adapter.

im new to the 3d world so not entirely sure of anything at this point, although i know my other 2 mediums will work fine, ie, ps3/blu ray and dreambox 800hd in 3d im just not sure about the revo, so any help or guidance on this would be greatl appreciated!

many thanks for looking!

2. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any body help with this, much appreciated!

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Not sure if a revo has the gfx ummph for FULL "side by side" but you should be fine with HALF "side by side".... most stuff is half anyway.

4. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input mate, so what kinda program would i be looking for on the revo to make it output the files in 3d, as currently i use either windows media centre or vlc media player, both of which dont do 3d as far am im aware. and by half side by side i dont really know the difference, if i was downloading content from nzb sites how would i know which is half "side by side"!

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    3D playback (sheesh, we need a sticky!) :)

FULL Side By Side = 3840pixels (1920*2)*1080 (or 720) pixels i.e. each picture is a full HD (be it 1080 or 720) picture

HALF Side By Side = (roughly) 1280/2 so 640*1080 (or 720)

Does that make sense?

Wiki link

Output by your gfx card. This is then converted by the DISPLAY device i.e. projector/tv, into a 3d image thats sync'd with your glasses. A half SBS picture is nothing more really than a 720 picture or an elongated 720 to meet 1080p hight whilst the other axis doesn't change.

Both MC and VLC support SBS (as its nothing special) and I suspect all other media players will. Remember, its the DISPLAY device that appears to do all the work. I use VLC on my desktop to test my rips and 7MC (with Shark codecs but I think this is irrelevant) to watch my rips and my Sky 3D subscription.

As for what to look for with NZB's, im not going to tell you how to pirate but it can't be that dificult to work out..... :rolleyes::)

edit: As I said, I don't think the revo will have issues with HALF sbs (its not much more than a 720p/1080p) but it may struggle with FULL SBS as its 2 1080p images. I don't use one co can't test.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  6. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers bud, good to know that vlc and wmc support this sbs, as it will come in handy for testing purposes once i get the 3d xl, i also use vlc just to give it a quick flick through before i start downloading covers and things for media browser, i also use the shark codec, spot on they are. should be fine finding content just didnt really know wha to look for.

the only thing i was worried about was that iv read the nvidia vision needs its own glasses to work and emitter, so hopefully as you say if its the display doing the work, aslong as im playing a sbs source then the 3d xl and hd600x should do all the work, hopefully thats how it goes anyway, lol!

EDIT: does this half side by side decrease the quality then or is it still viewable at 720p, and what is the quality like if so, cant wait to try it out as i was blown away the other day when i seen my friends 3d tv for the 1st time, hence the reason to purchase to 3d xl addon in the 1st place, hope it looks as crisp and as sharp as his 51" sammy did!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thats for games only. Games are a very diferent ball game where calculations are required on the pc, a film has a set direction and won't suddenly change angles etc.

Quality is fine. I honestly can't notice any diference and I run a 1080p projector with a 10ft screen - other than the brightness of course which will be darker, maybe too much for you? I was fortunate enough to be able to get a projector which kicks out loads of lumens.

8. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arrrr well thats great, i was just thinking it wouldnt really work at all once i read about the glasses for the nvidia vision, but good to know these half sbs will, made my day that has, lol. hopefully the brigtness isnt too much of a problem then, only time will tell, im using the projector from about 11ft away onto my white matte wall, and i have a slight problem, as i guess many do with the blacks not really being black in dark scenes, iv read about cream matte paint can help the reflection against the wall and make the blacks look more black than grey, would you advise this or anything else you could advise as apart from that my picture is absolutely spot on on the 80" i get from the distance given!

9. Budice54

Budice54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, did you manage to get the 3d working on the revo, I have a revo and about to order a optoma hd600xlv so if could get 3d through the revo that be class :)

10. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no mate i never really got the half sbs files playing properly, iv now sold the revo, and i bought a sumvision cyclone micro 2+ and a 1tb drive and this plays all files absolutely perfect, plays the half sbs files with ease and plenty storage space from the 1tb hard drive.. sold my revo for this reason, other people have said they play fine on there revo's, but i had the latest drivers for it and nothing would work so dont know what was going on, everything else played spot on, but these 3d files wouldnt, i guess because of the size of them!

11. Budice54

Budice54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for gettin back to me. I've never seen or heard of a sumvision cyclone micro 2 before. Had a quick google of it, and just looks like a little box, how does that work and is that right it's only £30? All my films are mkv and pretty big files and took a bit of tweaking of the revo to get them to play smoothly.

12. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    honest mate, this little box you talk about kicks the arse of a revo for media playback, obviously if you need the revo for web broswing and downloading aswell as a media player then thats your option, but if you want a nice little media player that will play anything you throw at it then get yourself 1, read the reviews on the net for them there absolutely fantastic, and all for £30, i got a 1tb buffalo external hard drive for £65 from ebuyer and hooked it up, got an amazing media player for £95. its a basic interface on the sumvision dont get me wrong, but for playing movies, music and photo's its fantastic, i really cant say enough about it, it just gets on with it and does its job!

13. Budice54

Budice54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds perfect for what I want. I never use the revo for anything other than watching films. I has two 1 tb hard drive full with films and if I can just plug it into this that be quality. Tbh the revo was begging to get a bit slow starting up so this would be better. So if I plugged my hard drive into that, then that into a amp, then the amp to projector that would work fine?

14. big hol

big hol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it should do mate, i use a 3.5 jack going from projector to my surround sound so whatever is played through projector the sound will work, as i have a hdmi splitter going to the cyclone, my sky box, and also ps3, so it was the easiest way to do it for me with what i had. you would have to have a read up on it mate to make sure it will connect to your amp as im not really clued up with them tbh... i went for the revo because i wanted to use media browser and make it look all fancy for viewing my collection, however i sharp got sick of keeping the cover art updated and details, and id seen these sumvision cyclones keep popping up on my radar from time to time, so i plumped for 1 after reading the reviews, and so glad i did.