Optoma 3D-XL 3D - Part 2

lscolman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(MOD EDIT: continuation from here and here. Firmware update post is here)

I've uploaded the new HD65 firmware. Fixes a few issues that I was having.

Has anyone reported the 1080i passthrough issues with the 3DXL to Optoma?

I have to keep switching my sources to 720p. I would be great if they could get this sorted.

Cheers, Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
I've uploaded the new HD65 firmware. Fixes a few issues that I was having.

Has anyone reported the 1080i passthrough issues with the 3DXL to Optoma?

I have to keep switching my sources to 720p. I would be great if they could get this sorted.

Cheers, Lee

Hi Lee, have you updated the firmware on the 3dxl itself? I did a while back and this sorted the 1080i problems i was having with sky hd and now i can leave it set at 1080i. Got the firmware from a link on here a while back.

Hi Chic,

I grabbed the 3DXL firmware from here
Optoma BG-3DXL Converter for 720p DLP Projectors $259.99 In-Stock Shipping Now

It's the C7 version of the firmware, and I installed it last night. Still has issues with 1080i. I think it may be just 50Hz material that suffers, but I could be wrong. Video mode stuff such as Sky Sports News is fine, Film based such as adverts is unwatchable, due to combing lines.

I couldn't see any difference apart from it that now says 3D SBS on screen now, whereas the older firmware simply shows 3D. I also note these is a Top and Bottom option for 3D.

Could it be there is a firmware about that passes 1080i correctly?

Cheers, Lee

Hi Chic,

I grabbed the 3DXL firmware from here
Optoma BG-3DXL Converter for 720p DLP Projectors $259.99 In-Stock Shipping Now

It's the C7 version of the firmware, and I installed it last night. Still has issues with 1080i. I think it may be just 50Hz material that suffers, but I could be wrong. Video mode stuff such as Sky Sports News is fine, Film based such as adverts is unwatchable, due to combing lines.

I couldn't see any difference apart from it that now says 3D SBS on screen now, whereas the older firmware simply shows 3D. I also note these is a Top and Bottom option for 3D.

Could it be there is a firmware about that passes 1080i correctly?

Cheers, Lee

i am pretty sure i have the same version as new, i only watches movies on mine and i have not noticed the poor picture on 1080i, where as before the update i had to change to 720p for sky hd

Hi Chic,

Not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying you have the same version of 3DXL firmware as me, and that since you have upgraded to the C7 version, you no longer see issues with 1080i ?

Cheers, Lee

Hi Chic,

Not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying you have the same version of 3DXL firmware as me, and that since you have upgraded to the C7 version, you no longer see issues with 1080i ?

Cheers, Lee

sorry, i have the same version as you, i have my box set to 1080i and the picture looked ok to me, before the update i noticed the problem straight away, i was one of the first to notice and to post the fix of setting to 720p and since the update i dont need to change to 720p, all my watching is movies though. I have not had sky on the projector for a while, so i will look again to see if i notice it .

Hi
I just bought my 3d-lx today.. I connected everything with pc and optoma hd65 ( updated ) ...
And I got 3d but the depth is very shalow...nothing jump out from the screen :( I could say there is only 10 to 15 inches depth... I was waching sbs movies...guys can u help me with that ? please...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am unsure if today I buy the 3dxl...

My present setup is a mac mini and am using bootcamp with stereoscopic player, modded inf file and connects to my optoma ew536 to play 3d sbs and using the optoma dlp glasses.

Have as well an xbox with 3 games, mw3, bf3 and skyrim....

What shall I gain with the 3dxl ?

Bought a 3d xl to go with my hd700x projector as an xmas pressie to myself!. I have spent the best part of 4 hours trying to get it to work with no success, I have updated my projector firmware which is now working at 120hz and my ps3 and sky box detect a 3D display as it will now allow me to select the options in game and view 3d on demand on my virgin box. However whenever i play anything it just shows a 2d image. For example I tried to play Avatar and had to side by side images on screen but when I press the sbs button on the 3d xl I just get a 2d image. I am on the verge of throwing this thing out the window as I just cannot get it to work and i'm wondering if its faulty. Surely when I press sbs i should get the blurred merged picture and not a crystal clear 2d one!!!!

Bought a 3d xl to go with my hd700x projector as an xmas pressie to myself!. I have spent the best part of 4 hours trying to get it to work with no success, I have updated my projector firmware which is now working at 120hz and my ps3 and sky box detect a 3D display as it will now allow me to select the options in game and view 3d on demand on my virgin box. However whenever i play anything it just shows a 2d image. For example I tried to play Avatar and had to side by side images on screen but when I press the sbs button on the 3d xl I just get a 2d image. I am on the verge of throwing this thing out the window as I just cannot get it to work and i'm wondering if its faulty. Surely when I press sbs i should get the blurred merged picture and not a crystal clear 2d one!!!!

with avatar did you try the 3d glasses to see if it looked 3d, not all content will give a blurred image without the glasses, also with 3d content does the projector switch to 120hz mode

Help! can't get my 3d to work on my sky+ hd and the 3d xl box.

I currently have 10m hdmi from my optoma hd67 to the 3d-xl adapter's output and then connected another hdmi from the 3d- xl input to the yamaha 671 output. My ps3 and sky are connected directly to the receiver's input.

Can someone please confirm if my connection method is correct or ive i connected it wrong.

Finally got my 3dxl and avatar the game looks amazing . But earlier I played a bit of skyrim but when I turn round fast it went blury and realised projector was still in 3d mode so I put glasses on well iwas suprised u still get a sence of depth evan though it not a 3 d game

I got mine yesterday and tried blackops and batman on 360 and both look blurry and very low resolution

Help! can't get my 3d to work on my sky+ hd and the 3d xl box.

I currently have 10m hdmi from my optoma hd67 to the 3d-xl adapter's output and then connected another hdmi from the 3d- xl input to the yamaha 671 output. My ps3 and sky are connected directly to the receiver's input.

Can someone please confirm if my connection method is correct or ive i connected it wrong.

that sounds ok, are you getting the 2 images on the screen? if so all you should need to do is press the sbs button on the 3dxl and the 2 images will merge and then switch on your glasses.

madfish said:

You have to go into projector menu
3D
Dlp-link

This will then give you a 3d image

(I know this cause I had same prob after I put latest firmware on)

chic said:
sorry, i have the same version as you, i have my box set to 1080i and the picture looked ok to me, before the update i noticed the problem straight away, i was one of the first to notice and to post the fix of setting to 720p and since the update i dont need to change to 720p, all my watching is movies though. I have not had sky on the projector for a while, so i will look again to see if i notice it .

I still get the problem on latest firmware

It is poor cadence detection on skys 1080i 50hz when watching 1080p24hz movies movies

Those running it through an amp up scaling to 1080p will prob not see it

So yes I still have to set sky to 720p.
However when watching sky3d films it copes with 1080i fine

I tried to play Avatar and had to side by side images on screen but when I press the sbs button on the 3d xl I just get a 2d image. I am on the verge of throwing this thing out the window as I just cannot get it to work and i'm wondering if its faulty. Surely when I press sbs i should get the blurred merged picture and not a crystal clear 2d one!!!!

Have you made sure that the small 3 position slide switch at the back is set correctly? Make sure its set to "3D 720P".
the other options will output as you describe and is for "dual 1080P" projector setups.

I still get the problem on latest firmware

It is poor cadence detection on skys 1080i 50hz when watching 1080p24hz movies movies

Those running it through an amp up scaling to 1080p will prob not see it

So yes I still have to set sky to 720p.
However when watching sky3d films it copes with 1080i fine

the reason it copes with sky 3d films is as soon as you press the sbs button the projector switches to 720p/120hz and for some reason

Also i found out why i dont see the problem at 1080i with my setup, i have the resloloution set to auto and when set like this it will upscale to 1080p so i dont notice the problem and i dont have to switch settings

I hate my new 3d-xl ...sometimes it works fine but mostly it doesnt and looses sync with my ew536 or no 3d at all

I hate my new 3d-xl ...sometimes it works fine but mostly it doesnt and looses sync with my ew536 or no 3d at all

you must have a fault somewhere in your chain, it could be your 3dxl itself or even your cables. I have no such problems with my 3dxl and 3d works all the time.

hi, sorry for butting in but is it possible to post new threads on here now?

just got my 3d xl using it with a dw18 and its great :) has anyone tried any non optoma glasses? i have a few jvc projector glasses that i was hoping would work but i beleive i need an ir transmitter, does anyone know of any cheap compatible glasses that can be purchased on the high st?

just got my 3d xl using it with a dw18 and its great :) has anyone tried any non optoma glasses? i have a few jvc projector glasses that i was hoping would work but i beleive i need an ir transmitter, does anyone know of any cheap compatible glasses that can be purchased on the high st?

i got myself a cheapo chinese recharable pair from a powerbuy on here and they are not bad. However the optoma z201 are the best pair i have and i would stick to them. However you would have to get them online.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom