Optoma 3D-XL 3D - Part 2

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Do any of you 3DXL owners successfully use a neet hdmi splitter?

Im trying to set up so I can connect my sky box to my projector, as it currently is, but also run another lead through a wall so sky can be viewed on another TV in the next room. When i add the neet splitter to the set up my 3dXl no longer recognises the sky signal.

Any ideas? Thanks

Also, if my 3Dxl seems to be fine, is there any need for the firmware update? What does it do? Thanks

chic

Do any of you 3DXL owners successfully use a neet hdmi splitter?

Im trying to set up so I can connect my sky box to my projector, as it currently is, but also run another lead through a wall so sky can be viewed on another TV in the next room. When i add the neet splitter to the set up my 3dXl no longer recognises the sky signal.

Any ideas? Thanks

Also, if my 3Dxl seems to be fine, is there any need for the firmware update? What does it do? Thanks
the firmware update added top/bottom 3d and was meant to have fixed a few bugs.

As for your splitter i dont use one as my amp has 2 hdmi out, is the splitter 3d ready?

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
It seems to be working now, it said 99% of the time it can work as is, but sometimes needs the included plug to work. I tried the plug with no success, but have since tried switching the equipment on with the plug already in, rather than adding the plug while it was already on. So far so good. Its advertised as being ready for 3d but my concern was that might apply to TVs rather than something like the 3DXL.

PhilJam

Novice Member
I've just orderded a 3D-XL to accompany my HD65, I've been tempted to get one since they came out but finally I buckled to temptation :) Please tell me I won't regret it.

Philjam

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Its an amazing product, dont be put off if you have teething problems - there is loads of advice on here. It took me a while to get my set up working correctly (most problems were caused by a cheap 3 way hdmi switch that didnt work reliably)

The 3D is staggering, it blows away anything the TVs can do.

PhilJam

Novice Member
Its an amazing product, dont be put off if you have teething problems - there is loads of advice on here. It took me a while to get my set up working correctly (most problems were caused by a cheap 3 way hdmi switch that didnt work reliably)

The 3D is staggering, it blows away anything the TVs can do.
That's what I wanted to read.

What format do most on here use to get their 3D fix - 3D blu-ray or sky 3D or both ?

Is one better than the other or are both good ?

Philjam

jacko5

What format do most on here use to get their 3D fix - 3D blu-ray or sky 3D or both ?

Philjam
I use both. Some Sky 3D output is poor, but Blu-Ray is vastly superior to even the best Sky output.IMHO

chic

Philjam
mostly 3d bluray for me, i have over 30 3d films now:eek: and i have a few recorded from sky 3d on my planner.

I prefer 3d bluray though as i can still get hd audio, whereas with sky its only standard dolby digital

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Tbh unless you can get sky 3D for free (already have sports and movies) I wouldn't bother with it.

I made the mistake of upgrading. Everything is repeats or costs extra as ppv. Only a small selection of films are free and very rarely shown.

If I didn't bother with it I could of bought all the 3d blu rays with money saved (and blurays look a hell of a lot better!)

I got

Tron
Potc4
Resident evil AL
And piranha

Also be careful of fake 3D films like
Green hornet
Alice in wonderland
Piranha is also fake but good boobfest
Etc

PhilJam

Novice Member
I imagine the 3dxl doesn't come with an HDMI cable, apologies if this is a stupid question but do I have to get a HDMI 1.4 cable ?

Philjam

chic

I imagine the 3dxl doesn't come with an HDMI cable, apologies if this is a stupid question but do I have to get a HDMI 1.4 cable ?

Philjam
any high speed hdmi cable should work ok

dave555

Standard Member
Hi all

Need a little help with my 3D-XL.

Hdmi cable run comprises of, Ps3, Sky HD Box,Spiderbox Sat receiver, to Pioneer AV amp to Powered HDMI splitter , then one feed to my TV and one to the 3D-XL.

Then 15m Hdmi to a BenQ 710 projector.
All Hdmi's are 1.4.

Now sky HD, Sat box ps3 Blu ray and games are fine a few minor sparkles on the BenQ, but all hell breaks loose when i try 3D off any of them. Red waves across the screen lost signal then ok for a few seconds. Tried the amp direct to 3D-Xl, no better. Best results from the playstation on games (no blu ray 3D's yet) a couple will run but only if i bypass the amp and plug in to 3D-XL direct.
are these in line booster's recommended and where would i put it on a 15m run ? would i have to put it half way down and get 2 8m hdmi's ?

Any idea's appreciated getting ready with the shovel to launch it and give up on 3D on projector and buy a 50'' 3D TV !!

Bought the 3D-XL at Christmas, firmware should be up to date ?

Dave

toddy28

It's the long hdmi that's the problem try putting the 3d xl at the projector end or get a booster

sheep

Novice Member
Hi Guys, I recently bought a HD65 for big film fun and currently have an LG LW550T I use for 3d and am very happy with it, But obviously bigger is better ;-) . So how does the HD65 perform with the 3dxl as there seems to be quite a few for sale on ebay? I assume you lose some brightness ect but generally is it comparable with my LG? so is it worth it?
Thanks.

chic

Hi Guys, I recently bought a HD65 for big film fun and currently have an LG LW550T I use for 3d and am very happy with it, But obviously bigger is better ;-) . So how does the HD65 perform with the 3dxl as there seems to be quite a few for sale on ebay? I assume you lose some brightness ect but generally is it comparable with my LG? so is it worth it?
Thanks.
i dont have the hd65, but have the hd67 and watching 3d on the big screen is much better than on a 3dtv. The image fills your field of view so the 3d effect is much better. You will need to update your firmware on your hd65 to get 3d to work.

sheep

Novice Member
Thanks for that, I just wanted to make sure the HD65 was up to the job really and didnt suffer loss of uality/brightness ect due to being 720p and an older PJ now

chic

Thanks for that, I just wanted to make sure the HD65 was up to the job really and didnt suffer loss of uality/brightness ect due to being 720p and an older PJ now
brightness does drop off a fair bit due to the glasses, but i just up the brightness in the settings to compensate. The image may not look as bright as on your tv, but i feel due to the larger image the 3d effect is better.

themighty

Novice Member
I've finally decided to get the 3D-XL to use with my HD65 projector. The 3D on my 3DS, along with the reviews of Uncharted 3 being amazing, is what convinced me. I have a few questions about the glasses though.

1. Are the pair of glasses that come with the projector, the Z201's?, rechargeable?

2. Will any pair of DLP Link glasses work with the projector. I'm look at these on ebay, for example, and they seem a lot cheaper then the optoma ones.

DLP LINK - 3D Ready Active Shutter Glasses For DLP-Link Projector | eBay

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have loads more questions when i eventually buy it.

chic

I've finally decided to get the 3D-XL to use with my HD65 projector. The 3D on my 3DS, along with the reviews of Uncharted 3 being amazing, is what convinced me. I have a few questions about the glasses though.

1. Are the pair of glasses that come with the projector, the Z201's?, rechargeable?

2. Will any pair of DLP Link glasses work with the projector. I'm look at these on ebay, for example, and they seem a lot cheaper then the optoma ones.

DLP LINK - 3D Ready Active Shutter Glasses For DLP-Link Projector | eBay

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have loads more questions when i eventually buy it.
those glasses should be ok , however you wont find any better glasses than the supplied z201 glasses, i have 3 different type and the z201s are the ones i use most. They are not rechargable, but only take one coin batttery which last for ages.

themighty

Novice Member
those glasses should be ok , however you wont find any better glasses than the supplied z201 glasses, i have 3 different type and the z201s are the ones i use most. They are not rechargable, but only take one coin batttery which last for ages.

Thanks for the fast reply chic. I'll definitely get as many z201s that I can, but at £60 a pair its going to be pretty expensive to get those for the whole family. So should most dlp link glasses work? how have you been finding your 3d xl?

chic

Thanks for the fast reply chic. I'll definitely get as many z201s that I can, but at £60 a pair its going to be pretty expensive to get those for the whole family. So should most dlp link glasses work? how have you been finding your 3d xl?
Yes if they say dpl link they should work. I love my 3dxl, i have about. 30 odd 3d movies now, but only had time to watch a few so far. My favourite so far is final destination 5 , the 3d is very good

dolsey01

Standard Member
I have tried the generic DLP Link glasses and they are not even close to the Optomas in regards to picture quality. I have the older 101s and will be adding two pair of 201s. IMHO, spend the extra money upfront, you'll save it later.

themighty

Novice Member
I have tried the generic DLP Link glasses and they are not even close to the Optomas in regards to picture quality. I have the older 101s and will be adding two pair of 201s. IMHO, spend the extra money upfront, you'll save it later.
Thanks for the advice. Do you know which other brand you tried? I'm trying to get 4 pairs, but only two are going to be used most of the time, so I thought I'd try a generic pair for the other two. As much as I would like to get more Optoma ones, I'm not sure I can justify double the price. The problem with the ebay ones are that they aren't any reviews though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt

Trending threads

Latest News

Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung pulls out of IFA 2020?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th June 2020